ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-17, 04:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,051 Times in 12,978 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Hi Fuzzy, just know that you're not alone. We all have our addictive traits. It's part of being human.

However, if any of them are causing you problems, then you can't just quit cold. You need to gradually reduce them and perhaps replace them with something healthier.

Have you ever considered addiction replacement therapy? It helps to train your brain to change from a bad obsession to a healthy obsession. Obsessive brains will always be obsessive, but it can work to your advantage with the right kind of therapy.
Yes they are causing problems. I've put on so much weight my feet ache. All the time.

No.actislly that's not true. My feet don't ache when I go for a walk. how weird.

I wonder what else I could replace it with. In the past I'd go the other way and become obsessed with starving myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-23-17)
Old 11-22-17, 10:32 AM

Thanked 5,831 Times in 2,832 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Yes they are causing problems. I've put on so much weight my feet ache. All the time.

No.actislly that's not true. My feet don't ache when I go for a walk. how weird.

I wonder what else I could replace it with. In the past I'd go the other way and become obsessed with starving myself.
Perhaps you just need to replace it with a healthy eating obsession. The good thing about eating healthy is that you can eat as much as you want, as long as it's good for you. You don't need to keep jumping for one extreme to the other, you just need to find your middle ground. Don't feel guilty just because you treat yourself every now an then. But if you try cutting out all of the little snacks in between or replacing them with fruits and salads, you can stimulate your sweet tooth with the odd chocolate here and there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-23-17), Fuzzy12 (11-22-17), Little Missy (11-28-17)
Old 11-28-17, 05:49 AM

Thanked 28,051 Times in 12,978 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
sounds good i'll do no additives, no sugar, no dairy except yoghurt, and no legumes/grains/soy.

starting... now!

day 1
Hi peri. How is it going?

I've had to reset the clock again. So I'm starting again. Now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-29-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-17, 07:30 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,988 Times in 5,252 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Heya, I've struggled mightily with my weight in the past, especially when I was depressed and frustrated by my job.

I can't necessarily speak to the binge eating (though there have been a handful of studies that link impulsivity to binge eating and advocate for ADHD meds as a potential treatment beyond just suppressing appetite).

What I can do is offer what worked for me in terms of weight loss. Deprivation doesn't work. Saying that I can't eat something or shouldn't drink that soda...psychologically that's hard. The minute something is forbidden completely, that's when I crave it the most.

So what I do is avoid having the things that I'm most likely to fall into eating too much of at home. That means limited sweets (I have frozen berries like cherries instead). If it's not there and I have to expend effort to buy something in order to eat it, the extra step helps mitigate my impulse. It's never perfect but it helps.

The biggest dietary change we've made over the last couple of months is to cut out refined grains and to increase vegetable and fruit consumption. My gut says this might be easier in the U.K., but it's not quite as simple as it sounds when it comes to bread and other baked goods that you don't make yourself.

Basically, we've stopped eating white rice, replacing it with either brown rice or another whole grain like quinoa. Ditto with pasta: whole Durham wheat or semolina flour pasta, no enriched flour. Like I said above, bread has been the hardest to replace. There are sprouted grain breads that are pretty good, though some of those (at least in the US) contain added sugars.

In any case, I wish you luck. Struggling with food is rough. If you have problems with alcohol or drugs, you can abstain from those substances and still survive. We all have to eat.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-29-17), Fuzzy12 (11-29-17), Unmanagable (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 09:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,555 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fuzzy, ever heard of couch to 5k? I only ever made it to week 4 but lost about 15lbs. If you do it Ill commit to as well.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 11-29-17, 10:58 AM

Thanked 19,612 Times in 10,438 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I just had 2 hardboiled eggs a Cripps and 2 clementines and a pot of stout black joe. Dex helps.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-29-17), Fuzzy12 (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 11:02 AM

Thanked 32,245 Times in 14,566 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Hi peri. How is it going?

I've had to reset the clock again. So I'm starting again. Now.
hey! yeah, thanksgiving here was hard to avoid dairy and grains.

i did okay ish

i'm restarting with you!

how's today going?

i'll try to update on the daily...or maybe we should make us a new thread. i think either would be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-29-17)