ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-17, 05:14 PM
Jr Member

Talietje is on a distinguished road
Intermittent fasting

I wonder if anybody have ever done intermittent fasting? And if you experienced any benefits?

Miss Think
Old 11-22-17, 07:07 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,720 Times in 8,871 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Intermittent fasting

I do it every day. I don't eat any solid foods (only sip on herbal infusions) after 8:30 p.m., and upon waking, I hydrate with lemon water, warm herbal infusions, and fruit/veggie juice and don't eat any solid foods until at least 11 a.m. or later.

I began doing that after totally changing my consumption habits to whole food plant-based vegan after a medical emergency. It's greatly benefited many areas and has helped me reduce and better manage many symptoms I was told I'd just have to get used to. Not so much in the specific adhd arena, but in overall wellness, which helped a little bit of everything.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Old 11-23-17, 06:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Is fasting really healthy though?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-17, 06:12 AM
Jr Member

Talietje is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your post.
I read a few articles and it should increase brain function because your body has a longer period of time to rest and because of eating less calories. Now i'm very curious what kind of effects it have on people with ADD/ADHD.

Miss Think
Old 11-23-17, 07:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,056 Times in 12,981 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's supposed to have all kinds of health benefits.
Old 11-23-17, 09:32 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

It's quite healthy to give your inner systems, namely the digestive one, a break every once in a while.

If someone starts a particular fast without thorough research and/or guidance from an already experienced someone who healthily knows the ins and outs, it can become dangerous.

Extended dry fasting and water fasting (beyond like 48 hours) are the two I've heard the most horror stories from.

I greatly benefited from working directly with someone who had been practicing intermittent and juice fasting for approximately 6-8 years, and who also had been surviving very healthily on a whole foods plant-based vegan diet for most of those years, including eliminating lyme disease symptoms she'd been unsuccessfully trying to resolve allopathically for 12 years..

The only other time I'd ever heard the word fasting, or ever actually heard of someone partaking in a fast, was among those who heavily practice certain religious beliefs that require fasting.

No medical professional ever discussed its potential in helping to heal our bodies...but then I noticed animals naturally fast when they feel ill and then start eating again once they recover...yet we seem to be conditioned to continually feed our dis-ease...ultimately creating more of it.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Old 11-23-17, 09:46 AM

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

You can water fast safely for up to 40 days if you know exactly what you're doing. It's the ultimate cleanse and you'll feel like you've been reborn again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-23-17)
Old 11-23-17, 11:01 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

In intermittent fasting you normally don't fast for more than 24h usually less. Eg you might fast from breakfast to breakfast or breakfast to dinner in a 12h fast. The 5:2 which is also considered intermittent fasting proposes eating normally for 5 days and having reduced calories eg 600-800 on 2 days.

There's been quite a few studies lately that had mostly positive results if I remember right.

I used to fast fairly regularly when I was younger usually for about 36h (so dinner on let's say Sunday evening, then nothing on Monday till breakfast on Tuesday morning). For a while I did it once a week and it made me feel really good, I also list lots of Weight without the stress and hunger associated with dieting and it doesn't trigger my eating disorders unlike calories restricted diets.

The longest fast I did was 5 days where I had only water and peppermint tea. I was 16 and food never smelled or tasted as good as it did when I started eating again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (11-23-17)
Old 11-23-17, 11:06 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
You can water fast safely for up to 40 days if you know exactly what you're doing. It's the ultimate cleanse and you'll feel like you've been reborn again.

You're right. The bolded part added by me for emphasis.

Old 11-23-17, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talietje View Post
Thank you for your post.
I read a few articles and it should increase brain function because your body has a longer period of time to rest and because of eating less calories. Now i'm very curious what kind of effects it have on people with ADD/ADHD.
On the days I fasted the first things to go out the window were always attention and clarity. I rarely felt physically tired it my cognitive abilities definitely suffered. Though maybe it's because I didn't do.it regularly.
Old 11-23-17, 06:54 PM

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,781 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

It works well for people who are basically healthy. Not so good in chronic stress states though.

With time it should make you healthier.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

Old 11-23-17, 08:21 PM

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,781 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I've already made one comment, but I was meaning to say that there are many activities that are best done intermittently. Exercise-- for instance bursts of high intensity exercise (interval training for aerobic fitness0 or bursts of near capacity weight lifting, work much better than steady, unchanging routines.
It looks like the same applies to diet- and that there is much less insulin resistance with this routine.
The stress system (sympathetic0 is well overactive in us ADHD individuals, and that in itself is a long term risk for obesity, leading to Insulin resistance and diabetes.

Intermittent fasting (which much more closely resembles our ancestral dietary patterns) from hunter gatherer times (99%+ of our evolution) reduces that risk.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

Old 11-29-17, 08:14 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,372 Times in 756 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I've fasted for spiritual reasons and it was very satisfying. I have heard about mental clarity after time spent fasting. I don't recall specific things about it as it was a long time ago.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.