ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-17, 05:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Lack of attachment and opioid addiction

In your opinion...

Does lack of attachment contribute to opioid addiction?

M
Old 12-06-17, 06:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lack of attachment and opioid addiction

I dont understand....

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 06:36 AM

Thanked 28,018 Times in 12,957 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

In a very roundabout way, possibly. By attachment I'm assuming you mean the secure attachment of a child. If a child is not able to fork such an attachment I think it affects their development in all kinds of ways and has all kinds of repercussions, which eventually could lead to substance abuse.

Are you thinking of something more specific? Does a lack of attachment lead to some issues in the dopaminergic pathway, which might then cause someone to seek out opioids?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (12-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 12:01 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
In a very roundabout way, possibly. By attachment I'm assuming you mean the secure attachment of a child. If a child is not able to fork such an attachment I think it affects their development in all kinds of ways and has all kinds of repercussions, which eventually could lead to substance abuse.

Are you thinking of something more specific? Does a lack of attachment lead to some issues in the dopaminergic pathway, which might then cause someone to seek out opioids?
A loving touch of a primary caregiver reduces emotional pain and promotes healthy development of endogenous opioid driven system in the infant’s brain.

When emotional pain is not reduced because the child does not have the loving touch of a primary caregiver, the endogenous opioid system in the child’s brain will not develop properly.

When the child grows up with unsoothed emotional pain, opioid addiction and other types of addiction are more likely.

Opioid addicts describe the feeling of taking opioids, as feeling like a soft warm hug.

M
aeon (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 01:12 PM

Thanked 12,851 Times in 5,707 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
A loving touch of a primary caregiver reduces emotional pain and promotes healthy development of endogenous opioid driven system in the infant’s brain.

When emotional pain is not reduced because the child does not have the loving touch of a primary caregiver, the endogenous opioid system in the child’s brain will not develop properly.

When the child grows up with unsoothed emotional pain, opioid addiction and other types of addiction are more likely.

Opioid addicts describe the feeling of taking opioids, as feeling like a soft warm hug.
I don’t know if studies have been done regarding this, but my experience of (non-opioid) addiction, and witness of others’ opioid addictions as well as receipt of their stories, suggest to me that there is a link of some sort, and a strong one at that.

Cheers,
Ian
mildadhd (12-06-17)