ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 05-14-19, 02:42 AM

RichardH is on a distinguished road
My strategy in seeking help

After being in therapy for a year and having an evaluation by a psychologist who specializes in ADD, I was interested in pursuing the possibility of meds....

I met once with a psychiatrist and he was very dismissive; he didn’t even ask me anything or talk to me much. He really seemed to be not amenable to the entire notion of adult ADD. It’s not like I just “caught” it last year, Im certain I’ve had it all my life, I guess some doctors assume kids grow out of it. He insisted on an different evaluation which might take months to arrange. Even finding a psychiatrist who specializes in adult ADD is pretty hard.

I thought of another approach which I thought I’d share. Maybe it’s obvious, but I never thought about it before. I talked to my family Doctor and he told me that with a diagnosis, a letter from a psychologist faxed to him, that he would work with me as far as the medication goes. There are far more psychologists around who work with ADD , or at least they seem to be more available, with scheduling and such.

My intent is not to be subversive, trying to step around the psychiatrist, and if that psychiatrist had actually talked to me and evaluated me himself, I might feel differently about him. Just thought I’d share this avenue in case anyone can also give it a try.

We’ll see how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichardH For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-14-19)
Old 05-14-19, 07:19 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: My strategy in seeking help

Hi Richard,

I was diagnosed about seven years ago by both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, but my ADHD medication is currently prescribed by my primary care physician and he's more knowledgeable about ADHD than the last psychiatrists I saw. I'm fortunate in that my doctor has apparently taken a special interest in ADHD in adults and has educated himself on the topic. He also has experience in prescribing the medications. He has me on Vyvanse, but suggested other options I could have tried instead. During my appointments, we spend part of our time assessing how well my ADHD medication is working and what adjustments we could try out. The rest of our time is spent on my other healthcare issues.

So, yes, people with ADHD should find out if their regular doctor can prescribe the ADHD medications they need. Some primary care doctors are quite capable in this area.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-15-19)
Old 05-16-19, 05:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,009 Times in 15,307 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My strategy in seeking help

I get beyond annoyed when I hear about ignorant psychiatrists like the one you saw. What a jerk and you do not want to see him because he knows nothing about adult adhd-or adhd in general. If you remain "under the care" of the psychologist I think its a great idea to see your primary doc if he or she is willing to work with you on medication. Its a fact that there is already a psychiatrist shortage and then you have to factor in the ones who have a stick up their butt and their nose in the air.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-16-19)
Sponsored Links