ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-13-11, 02:59 PM

akelly is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Advice needed please! Stop taking adderall or increase dose?

I started taking adderall a couple years ago because I had "ADD" symptoms along with low energy. (turned out to be malnutrition from malabsorption, but more on that later) I took it for several months, finding that I had to increase the dose to 30mg twice a day to get any effect. Eventually my dr. said no more and I saw no point in taking something that was doing nothing anymore and I quit cold turkey....

About a month later I kind of went nuts...anxiety, panic, depression...this lasted all summer and eventually it occured to me it might have been from stopping the adderall like that. Went back on and ta-da! Much better! However, 30 mg was waaaay too much and I've actually only been taking 15mg twice a day. (my dr still prescribes 30mg but I just take half) But of course, I've built up a tolerance and I feel like complete CRAP all day, every day. Just totally exhausted. I get a little brain buzz after I pop my pill, but all I really want to do is sleep.

I'm trying to decide if I should try and ween myself off the adderall for good, or if i should up the dose for a while, get my nutrition in order, and then try and ween off. (no cold turkey for me again!)

I had gastric bypass surgery about 10 years ago, never took supplements and I believe what resulted were ADD like symptoms from actual malnourishment. Since this occured to me, I'm taking lots of healthy supplements, drinking tons of water and I've eliminated all dairy (which I found out I was allergic to) and eliminated all gluten. I just feel like I can't get healthy while I'm taking the adderall. I also can't find the strength to exercise at all since I'm taking this low dose. I'm sick of being dependant on a drug that I shouldn't need if I had my health together. I don't know what to do. Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Old 09-13-11, 03:19 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice needed please! Stop taking adderall or increase dose?

You put add in quotes. Does this mean you don't have add? What were you given the adderall for? Did you suffer life long impairments?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-13-11, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

anonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to behold

This sounds like the standard reaction and lengthy withdraw from heavy stimulant use when you don't actually have ADHD, or your inattention issues come from other areas / problems. If you go back on them, you'll experience the same thing when you stop again.

Stop trying to manage your own medication. You're not a doctor, there's reasons they do things a certain way and you having a nervous breakdown after quitting Adderall cold turkey should have resonated with you enough to just listen to them and not try to DIY it.

My answer to your entire post is would be "Neither." Print a copy of this, hand it to your doctor and see what they say.... then follow it.
The Following User Says Thank You to anonuser999 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (09-13-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-11, 08:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road

Explain to your doctor what you just explained to us to get the help/advice you need.
Old 09-14-11, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

You can't keep upping the dose forever, At some point you have to be satisfied with where you are at. I take 40mg a day, but I've been on it for a year and I'm six foot four and 170 pounds. I have a VERY fast metabolism. I never take more than 15mg of IR at a time (15 + 15 + 10). I still worry that this is too much. But honestly, 10 to 15mg at a time still gets me right where I need to be.

Are you sleeping? Eating? Excercising? Taking vitamins? Adderall won't replace your basic biological needs... not for long anyway. Eventually, your tank is running on nothing but Adderall, and that is a spacey, irritable, nervous and depressed feeling. It is also lonely.

Adderall might not be for you. Or, your life may be missing some other key ingredients.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 09-14-11, 11:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

anonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to behold

Oh, another thing. I had a similar experience when I tried to go off of Adderall, it was assumed that this was due to it partially medicating or augmenting prexisiting depression and anxiety. If you feel like you can't quit taking Adderall without falling apart, you may want to try to medicate the symptoms of the withdrawal. Wellbutrin (which I plug every five minutes) is a really good medication for those types of situations and might even be a long-term replacement for stimulant meds.
Old 09-14-11, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused about how you ended up getting Adderall without an ADHD diagnosis too. And then how after your doctor said 'no more' you got it again. Or did you get diagnosed with ADHD and now you believe that you don't have it?

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 09-14-11, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 553 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

Try reducing the dose until you don't feel like crap when it's gone. If you're taking 2x15mg now, try halving the second dose for a week, and then both for a week. If necessary get smaller pills and titrate down even further, a week or two at a time.

30mg a day would kill me. One day? It would probably be no problem at all. But after a week I would be a wreck.
Old 09-15-11, 03:35 PM
Banned

Oxycodone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
You can't keep upping the dose forever, At some point you have to be satisfied with where you are at. I take 40mg a day, but I've been on it for a year and I'm six foot four and 170 pounds. I have a VERY fast metabolism. I never take more than 15mg of IR at a time (15 + 15 + 10). I still worry that this is too much. But honestly, 10 to 15mg at a time still gets me right where I need to be.

Are you sleeping? Eating? Excercising? Taking vitamins? Adderall won't replace your basic biological needs... not for long anyway. Eventually, your tank is running on nothing but Adderall, and that is a spacey, irritable, nervous and depressed feeling. It is also lonely.

Adderall might not be for you. Or, your life may be missing some other key ingredients.
Yes but a fact that you omitted is that you take Magnesium and DXM. Every time your tolerance goes up, DXM sets it back to zero and magnesium helps maintaining it down. The OP takes nothing for tolerance so it's a god explanation of why it goes up.

To the OP: What I would do is take 1 or 2 days off, usually 1 is enough. This gives the time for the first dose to properly exit your system so that the next dose is more efficient.