ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 11-02-12, 12:30 PM
Contributor

nanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the rough
ADHD Is Both Under/Over Diagnosed, Study Suggests

I looked around and did not see any threads about this particular study. Forgive me if I am mistaken. I have of course, seen the topic debated in many threads. (I was concerned about posting this in the Scientific/Research area, due to the recent debate of what is considered acceptable. If it should go there, can a mod please move it?)

This was a 10 year study done in the US (in South Carolina and Oklahoma). Below are several things that stuck out to me in the article.
What do you kids think about this?

"Further complicating our understanding of the prevalence of ADHD and its treatment is that the diagnosis often is made by a clinician who has little experience assessing and diagnosing mental disorders. As a result, ADHD is both under and over diagnosed,"

“The report also revealed that the number of parents in the community sample who reported that their children were taking ADHD medication was 10.1 percent in South Carolina and 7.4 percent in Oklahoma.Yet, of the children taking ADHD medication, only 39.5 percent in South Carolina and 28.3 percent in Oklahoma actually met the case definition of ADHD.”

"We hope that this will shed light on the prevalence and the treatment of ADHD and will lead practitioners to seek consultation if they are not trained to assess, diagnose and treat ADHD," he said. "We also hope it will lead parents and practitioners to assess all the treatment options to determine what works best for each child."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1019141124.htm

Last edited by Drewbacca; 11-02-12 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: eliminate hidden xml code
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nanners For This Useful Post:
ana futura (11-02-12), daveddd (11-02-12), Dizfriz (11-02-12), Fuzzy12 (11-02-12), namazu (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 02:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,443 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Is Both Under/Over Diagnosed, Study Suggests

I saw this when it just came out on SDN. It fits well with what I have seen. The first paragraph sums it up well in my opinion.
Quote:
A substantial number of children being treated for ADHD may not have the disorder, while many children who do have the symptoms are going untreated
I would like to know more about the study but I quit subscribing to the journal when I retired.

If anyone finds a link the entire article, I would appreciate it if you could post it.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ana futura (11-03-12), mctavish23 (11-03-12)
Old 11-02-12, 02:46 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i feel like i saw a thread or a subject like this in the science thread. ill post my 2 cents later

-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-12, 02:50 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

I hate when they call it "over-diagnosed." It isn't over diagnosed if it is under diagnosed, it is mis-diagnosed due to some other underlying cause creating similar symptoms. Over diagnosed implies that doctors just hand out drugs like candy, rather than saying they fail to find the best explanation.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (11-02-12), Amtram (11-02-12), ana futura (11-02-12), hanikamiya (11-02-12), Luvmybully (11-02-12), mctavish23 (11-03-12), salleh (11-02-12), Spacemaster (11-02-12), SquarePeg (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 03:33 PM

Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

No access to the study, but here's the abstract.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-02-12), mctavish23 (11-03-12), namazu (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 05:02 PM
Contributor

nanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
Over diagnosed implies that doctors just hand out drugs like candy, rather than saying they fail to find the best explanation.
I can see what you mean. I would think there would be a bit of both happening though, don't you? Not all doctors will explore for the best explanation, at least not in my experience. Finding a doc that will, has been a rare gem for me.

My husband is playing conspiracy theory and thinks that all docs get big money from particular drug companies and therefore prescribe those drugs. Anytime I return from an appt with a new rx, he asks if I saw notepads, etc lying around the office with the name of the drug I was just prescribed on them. I can see where he is coming from as well, but the thinking is too extreme for me. I can't walk through life thinking that everyone is doing their very best or that everyone is shady and greedy.
Old 11-02-12, 05:07 PM

Thanked 8,349 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I just assume that everyone is doing their best under the circumstances that they are in ......

been proven wrong about that now and then, but it's better for me to think that and occasionally be wrong, than to think everyone is only out for themselves and all they can get .....by any means possible....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
angora (11-02-12), Dizfriz (11-03-12), Drewbacca (11-02-12), nanners (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanners View Post
I can see what you mean. I would think there would be a bit of both happening though, don't you?
There may be doctors that prescribe meds just to shut a parent up or for some kind of kick-back... but I believe that those are the exception.

More often than not (imho), adhd meds get tried before attempting to address the underlying issues... but in such a case, adhd symptoms are apparent (even if it is something else in actuality).
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
nanners (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 06:03 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Saying adhd is over diagnosed is like saying rape is over reported.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-02-12), BohoButterfly (11-03-12), Flory (11-02-12), mctavish23 (11-03-12)
Old 11-02-12, 06:32 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

The abstract doesn't appear to say overdiagnosed, although the full paper will no doubt be clearer.

Quote:
Conclusions: Our ADHD estimates are at the upper end of those from previous studies. The identification of a large proportion of comparison children taking ADHD medication suggests that our estimates may be conservative; these children were not included as cases in the case definition, although some might be effectively treated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-02-12), Drewbacca (11-02-12), mctavish23 (11-03-12), namazu (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
The abstract doesn't appear to say overdiagnosed, although the full paper will no doubt be clearer.
I noticed that. I think that the writer at sciencedaily is responsible for this wording. You'll also notice that the link for the U. of SC is actually a link to the U. of S. California. I think they need an editor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-02-12), Fortune (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 07:17 PM

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I often make the same mistake- stating that it's both over and under diagnosed. You're right, wording choice is important.

But I'm not sure if "misdiagnosed" alone covers what's going on. The important take away in this is that ADHD is poorly understood, although I don't really know why, as the literature really spells it all out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (11-03-12), namazu (11-02-12), nanners (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 07:32 PM

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

“The report also revealed that the number of parents in the community sample who reported that their children were taking ADHD medication was 10.1 percent in South Carolina and 7.4 percent in Oklahoma.Yet, of the children taking ADHD medication, only 39.5 percent in South Carolina and 28.3 percent in Oklahoma actually met the case definition of ADHD.”

i only have a problem(not a personal one i just disagree) if these people are getting the drugs just to use as speed or sell

the part that gets me, is there issue with the ones that dont meet there case definition

i know im one of the few who feel this way, but to me adhd is a list of symptoms

so if a child with chronic anxiety can have their restlessness and inability to concentrate treated with a stimulant, does anyone really have an issue with that

stimulants can help concentration , can give motivation and rescue restlessness in anyone suffering from those symptoms

they dont correct any adhd specific abnormality
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
ana futura (11-03-12), Fortune (11-02-12), namazu (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 07:32 PM

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

ScienceDaily has to be taken with many, many grains of salt. You need to backtrack every single article, because it's been spun so hard that the actual content is just splattered all over.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (11-02-12), Fortune (11-02-12), mctavish23 (11-03-12), namazu (11-02-12), nanners (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
ScienceDaily has to be taken with many, many grains of salt. You need to backtrack every single article, because it's been spun so hard that the actual content is just splattered all over.
As evidenced by the fact that it took me twenty minutes to find the abstract... if they actually used the name of the study anywhere in that article, I couldn't find it. Maybe I overlooked it, but otherwise, that's why I posted the link for pubmed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-04-12), Fortune (11-02-12), namazu (11-02-12)