ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-28-13, 05:29 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,018 Times in 583 Posts
Asylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud of
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I don't know about silly but I got a tattoo completely on impulse; walked in, picked out a pretty pic and had it gouged into my skin for life. The whole permanent thing seemed to skip over my head.
Old 10-28-13, 08:44 AM

Malmark is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

After reading so many of these stories it seems to me we should stay away from cars.

This happened to me about 2 years ago when I was visiting family on the east coast of Australia.

On the first day I hired a car and took the wife and kids shopping. I returned to the car by myself and the key wouldn't fit the ignition. After about 5 minutes of forcing the key and getting no where I remembered that the hire company had told me if there are any issues there is an emergency card in the door pocket. I found no card but the person who hired the car before me had left a lot of personal items in the pocket. I checked the glove box and again someones personal items. It was then I realized I was in the wrong car. They were not even similar and different colours as well.

It gets worse though. A few hours after returning to the hotel I couldn't find my phone. I called it using my wife's like I usually do and was shocked when someone answered it. It was the police who said it had been handed in and asked me to come to the station to collect it. I had already worked out where they found it but needed my phone.

I got to the station and had to explain how my phone ended up in someones car. It took about an hour of convincing and they went from being quite hostile to being friendly. I was told if I hadnt have gone through the personal items I would have been let of with a caution and as the car was left unlocked I was only charged with unlawful entry. Still was a largish fine and not a good way to start a holiday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malmark For This Useful Post:
Arodia (04-16-14), Fuzzy12 (11-29-13)
Old 11-06-13, 02:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

Modafinilguy is a glorious beacon of lightModafinilguy is a glorious beacon of lightModafinilguy is a glorious beacon of lightModafinilguy is a glorious beacon of lightModafinilguy is a glorious beacon of lightModafinilguy is a glorious beacon of light

One time I was at the train station, not many people were around, crazy old lady was annoying the crap about of me making noise, ******** to herself about stupid things. Train was coming, on impulse, lost it, pushed her on the tracks in front of the train. Splattered ev....

Lol nah joking lol har har (dark sense of humor)

I'm too tired to think of the endless actually stupid things I do, many impulsive things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Modafinilguy For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (11-29-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-13, 03:23 AM

davinci10 will become famous soon enough

Honesty, there are many silly things I did as ADHD person. but right now its hard to recall any.

once I forgot to bring my school bag to school, and that was really funny among my classmates.

I was suppose to pay my vocal teacher for an online lesson by paypal for 63$, but since I live in Thailand my paypal shows Baht(Thai currency) as default and I felt so excited about the next singing lesson that I made the payment quickly and paid her 63 Baht which is makes 2$ instead of 63$.
Old 11-26-13, 03:58 PM

Tasha01 is on a distinguished road

I am not officially diagnosed yet but I just really wanted to play along! So I'm going to list some things I've done that I believe to be from ADD since I currently just believe I have itw ithout diagnosis yet.
Driving home from school that I had been going to for a whole year- 30 minutes into the ride home my (extremely paranoid) husband calls me to see where I am since its a 15 minute drive. We then both realize I went in the opposite direction and am in soutwest detroit at 1030 pm.. then my phone dies because I once again forgot to charge it. So wrong- (not saying this part is from add) but I laughed the whole way home picturing him freaking out waiting for me.
The time I walked to meet my friend at a store called farmer jacks that was a five minute walk from my house and ended up on the opposite side of the city I lived in walking around lost for 3 hours until I found a pay phone and correctly entered my aunts phone number on the 5th try and she came and got me... come to find out I was around the block from my highschool, down the street from my aunts house.
How I CANNOT do ANY kind of project without searching for every single tool needed for it every single time I need it.. For example "Time for scissors... now where are the scissors? Time for glue!! Now where is the glue? Time for pen!! Now where is the pen? Time for scissors! Now where is the scissors?" Never ending until I give up on the project at hand.
All the times I searched for my cell phone while I was talking on my cell phone
The time I went to school with an inside out-backwards shirt on
The time I bought a dress for my cousins wedding that was super cute.. only for my husband to point out it was backwards when I modeled it for him. Then when I put it on the correct way argued that the makers were retarded and the dress was much nicer backwards.
The time my whole family, cousins aunts uncles parents siblings ect went out to eat because my grandpa was moving out of state.. My cousin and I were one of the first to leave. We got halfway home when I realized I didnt pay the bill and had to turn around to pay for my food.
Thats all I can think of that I find funny, the rest I just find depressing.
Old 11-26-13, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

left license at home and drove without it
more scary than you think
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
Old 11-26-13, 05:50 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I often speak (or type) in a reactive state of mind vs. responsive state of mind. They say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never harm me." Bulls***.

Once spoken or written, the damage is done. (unless, of course, you still have editing time, or know someone to wipe your slate clean for ya'.....as if)

We may never know the lasting effects our words have on others, but we can try our best to lessen the blows we deal to others as we hope they try their best to listen and understand.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
anders727 (12-24-14), Rebelyell (11-29-13)
Old 11-29-13, 09:56 AM

Thanked 4,199 Times in 2,016 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of these are hysterical!! I was laughing so much, maybe because I know I've done similar stuff. It's also making me think, I've had a sneaking suspicion my best friend from elementary school had ADD, and you all could be describing her. We used to laugh at the ridiculous things we would do. (Neither of us diagnosed so maybe we are just crazy.) our English teacher in high school told us we were like the blind leading the blind

In high school I was taking AP US History (a class i found very interesting but didn't do any of the work so got a D-) I used to forget my purse in there like every morning until the teacher told the whole class to make sure I left with my purse that day and the class threatened to punish me with a fanny pack.

In college I needed a car to get to a meeting before I started student teaching so my roommate let me borrow his. I got back from the meeting and parked it near my class. When I came out, I found I had left the headlights on and therefore had run down the battery and had also gotten him a parking ticket. Oops !

When I was student teaching I lived on campus and I used to lose my car CONSTANTLY because I was so tired and spaced out when I got home. One morning I was a half hour late in the morning because I couldn't find my car. Luckily my mentor thought that was really funny (I had complained to her about the problem before) and otherwise I was doing a really good job so I wasn't reprimanded.

I used to have these crazy situations - and reading this now I'm realizing this happens to other people!! - where absolutely everything would go phenomenally wrong. I used to drive my professors nuts. And it did give me a lot of anxiety because I just never knew what thing I had forgotten about or effed up.

I had a really busy day with a meeting for student teaching and a concert in which i was not only singing but CONDUCTING one piece. I also decided that was a good day to drive into the city to get some reeds for my clarinet. Well of course, I was late to the meeting coming back from the city, thinking I could park next to the building, but I didn't have the correct permit for that parking lot so had to park far away and RUN. Was so flustered from that and walking in halfway through the meeting to a bunch of disapproving students and teachers. After that had to get my clothes for the concert, was easier just to walk back to my dorm than go fetch my car, walked back got my clothes, time was getting tight, go to the music building, change, realize I forgot my pants and am wearing jeans. Cannot conduct in jeans. Concert starting in 10 minutes and my car is off in the Netherlands of campus. I practically pushed people over to get out of the building to run back to my dorm (Usually a 10 minute walk) I get there, grabbed my pants, run back to the music building (it's mud season so I can't wear my nice clothes in the slop) get to the music building, change...I forgot my shoes. Concert has already started. I wear my flip flops (with my otherwise extremely fancy attire.) I go down and sneak onto the risers from backstage, one piece before the one I had to conduct. I couldn't be very stealthy because it was a small choir. Oh man. Thank goodness it was not a group run by a professor but a student - my best college friend, who also has ADHD. The conducting went well though! And that whole ordeal didn't leave me a lot of time for performance anxiety at any rate!

I have more I want to share but I'll leave it at that for now :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
psychokitty (11-29-13), stef (12-01-13)
Old 11-29-13, 03:27 PM
Contributor

psychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of light

OMG yes! Losing the car.
I remember walking around and around multi story carparks trying to find my car.

The best one was when I borrowed my BILs car. He and my sister had had that car for a number of years and I had ridden in it numerous times and had even driven it before.
I borrowed the car and when to the shopping center, only to realise that not only couldn't I find the car, I couldn't remember what it looked like (make or colour) ....luckily I remembered it was a fairly small hatchback which was something, but there were a LOT of smallish hatchbacks in the parking lot.

Luckily it had really distinctive carseat covers, so I eventually found it by peering in the windows of all the smallish hatchbacks in the huge carpark, like some kind of demented car thief
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychokitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-15-14), stef (12-01-13)
Old 11-29-13, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Allegra113 will become famous soon enough

I've left my car door open in parking lots a couple of times.

I've gotten a tattoo on impulse (but I have a few tattoos, so it wasn't bad). I have a lot of issues with impulse control and relationships- I got married, then divorced both on impulse. I have issues with men in general I think. I tend to have shopping issues. If I go to a store and haven't taken my meds I end up with weird stuff coming home.

I've called my cell from landline phones with my cell in hand because I couldn't find my phone. I've also hung up on landline phones when my cell rang (to answer my cell that I was calling, because I forgot I was calling my own phone and wanted to see who was calling).

Forgot my husband was working overnight shift and almost forgot to pick up my child. I have never forgotten her, but it's come close. In my defense I stopped meds for a few years and just started again.

There's more, but new meds today. Don't think they're working well. I need a nap.

Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude. ~Ralph Marston

Grab your greatness. ~Lakey Peterson
The Following User Says Thank You to Allegra113 For This Useful Post:
chipmunk (02-11-14)
Old 11-29-13, 03:42 PM
Contributor

psychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of light

And btw Willow I know you are not diagnosed yet, but oh dear I could so relate to all of your experiences.
Based on that post I feel you could fit in very well around here

Oh god, your concert conducting experience - you tell that so well.... so funny!! but I know (dear god do I know) how stressful it must have been at the time.
Old 11-29-13, 03:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

I really thought I was the only one who couldn't figure out how old I am without doing math (and I'm a 1980 baby). I also have dyscalculia, but it's my age!

Thought of some more...
I once drove through my fence when I was 17. I got distracted pulling in to the car port and next thing I was in the back yard.
I forgot to turn off the bath tub and water came through the 2nd floor onto the first floor. There's still a stain at my dad's house.
Even with a list I ALWAYS forget at least one or 2 important things at the store.

Old 11-29-13, 04:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ok. I keep thinking of things. I teach middle school. Special education (though it's not called that anymore). My students are great help. I ask them to remember where I set things down or move things. No ones really caught in yet, but I always collect tests and set them somewhere. When I go to grade them....they're gone. Luckily I have at least one kid in each class who remembers. I even have a standing set of drawers labeled for each class that I put papers in....really.

Old 11-30-13, 05:42 AM
Jr Member

savannahwilde is on a distinguished road

- Locking myself out of the house or car, constantly. I don't know what my neighbors think of me seeing as though they watch me frantically climb the fence at least twice a week.
- I once forgot to put the lid back on the milk and put it sideways in the fridge
- I often find my keys and phone in the fridge or kitchen cupboards
- Left my bath running and went to visit a friend, came back to a flooded house
- Leaving my purse and shopping in stores is a mistake I make often
- Forever forgetting important appointments, even if I set alarms (I see the alarm, dimiss it and forget almost instantaneously)
- My boyfriend says he can tell what I've been doing during the day because there will be a trail of half finished tasks or things put in odd places
Old 11-30-13, 11:08 PM

Beckaaa is on a distinguished road

I see a lot on here that have happened to me!!! The most common one being losing my car, retelling stories constantly, and not recognizing people or remembering names.... But to add on to a lot of these I have some new ones too:

Myself:
1. Forgetting my lunch a lot!
2. Taking my sister's flounder to school for lunch instead of my sandwich because it was in the same container.
3. Yes, also locking keys in the car.
4. Buying a $1,200 head unit for my car... I definitely did not need it!
5. Buying a new snowboard/ jacket every winter (which I also did not need!)
6. Forgetting my dog outside in my backyard fence.... Unfortunately he knows how to get out... So I end up chasing him around the neighborhood!
7. Trying to take the keys out of the ignition, while it was still in drive... The keys wouldn't come out because it was not in park, even though the engine was off.... This is a very good safety feature which confused me for a bit!
8. Changing my major 3 times.
9. Transferring 6 different times, 4 different colleges.
10. Going to a college I never visited, 6 hours away, then hating it when I actually went there.
11. Going to a college which I could never afford, and finding out mid- semester.
12. Forgot about a pan of oil on the stove... Which caught on fire, then put it on a porch railing and left a burnt mark in the paint.

My mom also has ADHD... Here are some of hers:
1. Also letting my dog out and forgetting him (I got 30+ phone calls over the summer of people finding him and calling the # on the tag).
2. Forgetting me at school.
3. Forgetting my sister was at sports nationals.... In another state.
4. Missed my 2 proms, then telling me "I can't believe you wore that!" ...Guess its a good thing she wasn't there! Lol
5. Late for everything!

There are sooooo many more, but I have learned to always look on the bright side!