ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-30-13, 08:37 AM

southgoingzax is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

Oh my gosh, where to start?

Let's see.... 1. So happy to have my beautiful son, but....got pregnant in college because I just decided it would be totally fine to have unprotected sex even though I hadn't taken my pills for days *doh* Needless to say, my parents were THRILLED.

2. F'd up a really important assignment in undergrad that got me a "warning" on my transcript. Proceeded to miss the first 2 days back from vacation for the same class involved, because I didn't know when school actually started back up.

3. Caused a really bad car accident, thank God no one was hurt, but easily could have been. I flat out didn't notice a stoplight.

4. Ran out of gas on multiple occasions, thus putting myself into some really dangerous situations.

5. Lots and lots of write-ups at work for time and attendance because I was always late and often didn't even know when I was supposed to be there. Persistence of this problem eventually lead me to switch off Straterra and increase my Adderall. Helped a ton.

6. Got "asked to transfer" to a different department at work due to repeated errors related to attention to detail. This was really painful and should have precipitated seeking treatment, but I was in major denial. Thank goodness they took pity on me since I'm "such a nice person." They could have taken this to the nth degree and really hurt my career.

7. Don't believe I was the best mom to my son that I could have been, in his early years. I love him soooo much, but just couldn't get it together :-( Tough to forgive myself for that one.

Wow, it feels good to get all that off my chest! I have a hard time talking about it because it makes me feel like crap and is embarrassing. [/list]
The Following User Says Thank You to southgoingzax For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (10-05-13)
Old 05-30-13, 03:20 PM

FrenchCaro is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I think I very lucky: except searching everyday for everything in the house, I have always be careful with the keys, the stove, well dangerous things. Since I know the fact that I am full ADD no H, I see more myself, and be more careful in every act I do.

No car accident: I am may be just lucky.
Old 05-31-13, 01:37 AM

aimforthestars is on a distinguished road

Hello there! I'm new to this forum and have recently come to believe that I may have adult ADD/ADHD. Thank you ladies (and men!) for sharing your stories, I can definitely relate on more than one occasion!

Some of my inattentive moments:

- I work at a grocery store and often have a blink's-worth of short term memory. I can't tell you how many people I've greeted and re-greeted after they got in line again because they forgot something. I forgot their face!
- Sometimes I'll forget words or phrases while I'm mid conversation - cue an awkward pause and impromptu laughter to make up for the weirdness!
- I forget my keys/purse/things EVERYWHERE. The worst was probably when I was rushing to catch a bus and locked myself out of my dorm room while throwing something out.
- I'll miss deadlines because I forget them. One time I forgot to pay my cell phone bill for a few days because of college and forgetfulness. My mom ended up calling campus police because of my unresponsiveness to make sure I was okay! They knocked on my door and scared me half to death because I thought I was getting busted for pirated music or something.
- I'll forget what the project I'm working on is about. I'll be telling someone about a paper/research and then suddenly forget what it's about. Kinda of embarassing, but really funny if I think about it.
- After 9 months of being away at college, I finally discovered I'd stowed away a favorite pair of flip flops in the pocket of a suitcase - after thinking that they'd been lost in the move to college
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-13, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Stripped all the asbestos shingles off my three-story 1870 home myself because I wanted to see if it looked nicer underneath. (It did, but hubby was almost ready to divorce me for doing it. . .)
Old 06-13-13, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

MonaLisaSimpson is a jewel in the roughMonaLisaSimpson is a jewel in the roughMonaLisaSimpson is a jewel in the rough

Lost so many bus passes I am about to be kicked out of the employee program. Fortunately I am currently off work getti g treatment so I can just cancel. Its better anyway to pay the eztrra six dollars for month by month anyway...if I lose it it isn't suck a big deal and a 50 dollar reimbursement. (But the one year this was good in a way because I did t have to remember each month to buy new pass.)
I got so absorbed with my ADHD book I missed not one but six stops.
I wait for busses, I miss one so I go I ...the next bus is I 12 minutes...stumble out of the store three hours later.

Diagnosed at age 43, on June 4th, 2013.
The Following User Says Thank You to MonaLisaSimpson For This Useful Post:
rickymooston (06-13-13)
Old 06-13-13, 08:01 PM

diyanah will become famous soon enough

I always ride the wrong car because it looks similar to mine, one time in high school I rode a car and then I realized it wasn't mine because the person driving was different so I wanted to get out in a hurry because of my embarrassment and I ended up dropping my bag and my stuff all over the car!

My friends have to put up with listening to me repeating the same story over and over and then I feel so embarrassed when they tell me "you told us this story before and this thing happens next"

Trying out the electric fly swatted because I was thinking at that moment what flys feel when we use it on them .. Woke up to reality with the shock from electrocuting my finger
But it was really funny afterwards because my friend was looking at me with shock and saying what were u thinking while laughing at me!
Old 06-14-13, 07:32 AM

FarmLady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyanah View Post
My friends have to put up with listening to me repeating the same story over and over and then I feel so embarrassed when they tell me "you told us this story before and this thing happens next"
A test of true friendship... my hubby's been putting up with the same stories over and over for the past 32 years!

Last edited by FarmLady; 06-14-13 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: messed up my cut&paste
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmLady For This Useful Post:
diyanah (06-14-13)
Old 06-23-13, 07:09 AM

Superwoman is a jewel in the roughSuperwoman is a jewel in the roughSuperwoman is a jewel in the rough

Putting the phone down on people before they're finished. Because in my head they are.
Getting staff searched because a substantial amount of money I had was "stolen" aka misplaced (more awful than funny)
Swopping cars with my BF to carry out my latest under cover CIA SuperWoman stunt.
Getting locked out on my roof garden completely starkers (don't ask)
The Following User Says Thank You to Superwoman For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (08-23-13)
Old 06-25-13, 09:17 PM

daydreamkaren is on a distinguished road

There are to many to list. I have seen a few here that I have done myself.
(MANY TIMES)
I also feel better reading these.

- Lose my car all the time. (I cope by always parking in the same area or taking a photo of the isle my car is in with my phone)

- Forgot my grocery list when shopping. (many memory problems)

- Interrupting people that are talking because I just need to say something.

-. I also many times daydream if someone talks too long. If their story is too long they lose me in a few seconds because my brain is thinking of 10 other things. (This is happening with a chatty lady I just made friends with. I am not sure what to do)
Old 07-19-13, 12:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

toxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of light

There are quite a few different ones that are funny but afterwards :

- Credit card and me! It is a long relationship. I once forgot my card in the ATM and realized it the day after and I was buying stuff, entered my pin and tried 3 times. I could not get it right. It took me 3 days to get the right pin and I had to cancel my flight to get back home. Fortunately, I was staying at my parents place.

- I was always forgetting my books and explaining to the teachers that they were at home when I realized afterwards that they were in my locker in the classroom

- Forgetting my password to check in at work and called the IT service to reset the password at 2:00 AM. I was not supposed to work on that day but it just popped up in my head.

- Being expelled from class when I said to the teacher that he was dumb since he said that Manila is the capital of Thailand.

- It has been 2 weeks that eggs are on my shopping list but it has been 2 weeks that I forgot the eggs.

- Going to the grocery store and forget that it is Sunday therefore, it is close.

- Forget to eat food for 3 days in a row and ending with fainting at work.
Old 07-19-13, 06:52 PM
Contributor

Parterxred will become famous soon enough

Maybe ADHD.

On several occasions I've been concerned about losing my keys. It made sense to leave them in the car and lock it.

I have an expertise with jumper cables. If I have to use headlights during the day I generally forget to turn them off.

My parents got me this emergency charger thing that would solve that problem.

I forget to charge it.
Old 07-19-13, 06:54 PM
Contributor

Parterxred will become famous soon enough

I forgot to check the forum name. Sorry ladies.
Old 07-19-13, 07:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

I have done so many ADHD things... It's hard to narrow it down!
Old 07-19-13, 09:41 PM

Braske is on a distinguished road

I have a horrible tendancy to walk away from the ATM machine with my card but not the cash.......My wife only just found out about that one.
Old 07-21-13, 06:12 PM
Contributor

courier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nice

got married and had to bring up two children
The Following User Says Thank You to courier For This Useful Post:
banana25 (07-27-13)