ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 06-05-18, 12:24 AM

smileypiles is on a distinguished road
Re: Some advice please

The fact that you have put so much thought into whether or not you have ADHD, from every possible angle, and considered its effect on you and everyone else ('there are people who have it worse') stinks of female ADHD! Not to mention your described symptoms.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder, it's brain chemistry. The way that impaired executive functioning affects each individual is different, and so it's totally possible that you still have it even if you don't have certain symptoms.

Number one piece of advice to anyone who is toying with whether or not they have it: Get checked!
Old 06-05-18, 12:30 AM

smileypiles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahahahaha31 View Post
Thank you SarahSweets... I needed that. Youíre right I need to stop comparing myself to others. And healthy coping is important and I really donít want to struggle any more. I spoke with my counsellor about it and she said I should go as I deserve to know (something she said I often do). So I need to bite the bullet and talk to someone about it.
The way I explain my ADHD to friends is that when they decide they wanna do something, and then make a plan to do it, their brain gives them a little dopamine boost to support them through the plan, they get it done, all good.

I decide I wanna do something, I make a plan to do it, and my brain leaves me on my own. No dopamine for me, just sheer grit.
Old 06-05-18, 01:01 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I was 37 when I got diagnosed, so suffice to say I had spent a lifetime figuring out assorted coping mechanisms for my downfalls. Turns out, once I figured out what the underlying issue was, it became a lot easier to find successful ways of coping, and being productive in life. Whether you have ADHD or not, the best thing you can do is learn as much as you can about yourself. What's going on, why you do the things you do, why things impact you the way they do... Knowledge is power, and the more you know about yourself, the better prepared you will be to lead a productive and fruitful life.
Old 06-05-18, 01:03 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileypiles View Post
The way I explain my ADHD to friends is that when they decide they wanna do something, and then make a plan to do it, their brain gives them a little dopamine boost to support them through the plan, they get it done, all good.

I decide I wanna do something, I make a plan to do it, and my brain leaves me on my own. No dopamine for me, just sheer grit.
I personally feel like the dopamine is still there, it's just that anytime I set myself on a task my dopamine gets distracted by the arcade and ends up spending 5 hours playing Street Fighter 2 instead of doing its job and helping me get through my day. Or something along those lines.