ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 08-16-19, 03:56 PM

Question is on a distinguished road
Returning to Singapore soon, very worried about treatment options

I've been taking Dexamphetamine for ADD for several years, works great. Unfortunately, I have to return to Singapore soon and it seems that they will not let you import in dexamphetamine for any reason. I can apply to bring in a personal supply, but once that supply runs out, im screwed.

The only two medication options that seems to be available are Ritalin (which does not work well for me) and atomoxetine. I have not tried atomoxetine, but I understand that you need to take it for several weeks to even start having an effect...so what are you supposed to do in the meantime? Just go around with brain fog all day? And the research ive done indicates it is generally less effective than Ritalin.

I suppose taking Ritalin while waiting for the atomoxetine to kick in would be an option at least...if a less than ideal one...although I dont know if the psychatrist would allow that. I have a feeling they would err on the side of caution and refuse to prescribe both at the same time.

I'm really worried about this...there doesnt appear to be anything I can do. I dont want to spend the rest of my life handicapped by this just because the government doesnt want to let me have my meds.

Anyone have any advice to share?

Edit : I see some REALLY old posts talking about applying for a special import permit for certain ADHD meds...does anyone have any info on that? Or was the law changed so you cant do that anymore?
Old 08-17-19, 04:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,917 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Returning to Singapore soon, very worried about treatment options

You are best contacting the Singaporean consulate and getting information from them. There is usually a way around these things.

The other thing to consider is the role of exercise.
The day to day improvements associated with vigorous exercise (preferably involving some balance challenge- ie running or bike riding) are well documented.
That in itself as a morning practice can significantly reduce need for medications.
As usual though there is not much research evidence, because research not leading to a drug patent is not well funded.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 08-17-19, 05:13 PM

Uh...actually its not, the consulate cant advise about this and would just tell you to contact the relevant ministry (HSA in this case). The consulate doesnt deal with regulations related to medications at all.

The problem is that the person whom I spoke to at HSA seems to be implying that its not possible to import in dexamphetamine at all and doesnt seem to know anything about this special import permit thing. I cant tell if thats because its a rare thing or because the law was changed at some point.

And yea i suppose exercise of some kind may help, its just a big deal if you have to switch from meds that you know work well for you to something that doesnt because you moved to a different country with different laws...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-19, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks. Can you get lisdexamphetamine? Vyvanse I think that is. It's extended release so maybe that's allowed? Otherwise I'd definitely give ritalin another shot and if that's no good then atomoxetine. Like kunga said till it kicks in try lots of exercise, omega 3 and getting enough sleep.

You could also try modafinil if that is available. I found it helped quite well with focus actually.
Old 08-22-19, 10:49 AM

Im not sure, its hard to find any info on this on the net. Only ones I know of that are allowed are ritalin and atomoxetine.

Do you have any experience with atomoxetine?
Old 08-22-19, 11:23 AM

OK, finally got an answer from HSA : Your doctor in Singapore may apply to import unregistered therapeutic products for patients’ use. It will be a process applied by your doctor, and your doctor would be familiar with it. If your doctor requires more clarification, he/she may contact HSA.
Old 08-22-19, 05:34 PM

Joeroe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunga dorji View Post
you are best contacting the singaporean consulate and getting information from them. There is usually a way around these things.

The other thing to consider is the role of exercise.
The day to day improvements associated with vigorous exercise (preferably involving some balance challenge- ie running or bike riding) are well documented.
That in itself as a morning practice can significantly reduce need for medications.
As usual though there is not much research evidence, because research not leading to a drug patent is not well funded.
+1

Last edited by namazu; 08-22-19 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: removed broken image link