ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 08-22-18, 06:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of
Smile Decreased tolerance for warm weather & bright light?

Hi,

Iíve been using Dexamphetamine for about ten years now and Iím still quite content with the results. As expected, it didnít help for all inattentive ADD symptoms (like executive functioning), but ďgetting things doneĒ has definitely improved a lot.

Side effects have been manageable overall. Sometimes I have a slight ringing in my ears (especially when the med runs out around bedtime).
In the first two years I developed a bit of a tic, a need to rub the edge of my thumb nail with the tip of my middle finger, but that dissolved eventually.
Another not-very-remarkable thing is what could be called ďperiodic restless toes preventing me to fall asleepĒ - if there is such a thing. I have no idea if it is caused by the dexamphetamine.

But there is one other thing that I am curious about if others noticed it: I seem to have become much more sensitive to a lot of things, like heat and bright light. I used to love warm weather and being in the sun, but that has changed. I find bright sunlight too intense to enjoy, and I now much prefer twilight. I never wore sunglasses, but when Iím on my bicycle in sunny weather I donít want to be without them now.

And really warm weather somehow makes my head feel uncomfortably hot - much more than the rest of my body, it seems. It feels as if my brain just doesnít like stuff thatís very intense, at least when using dexamphetamine.

Itís not a real problem, just a bit inconvenient. I wonder if anyone else recognises this?

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

Old 08-22-18, 06:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Decreased tolerance for warm weather & bright light?

Me too! On Dex or Adderall. No toe thing though.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Luthien (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 02:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

I’ve had some sensitivity to sunlight or bright lights since I’ve been on the Adderall

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandyDW For This Useful Post:
Luthien (08-23-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-18, 05:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am already someone who seats easily and never have been good with the heat. Adderall definitely makes this more noticeable.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Luthien (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 08:10 PM
Banned

hydrogene is on a distinguished road

Hi Luthieu. Sorry for being off topic but since you've been on Dexamphetamine for many years have you ever experienced tolerance and the need for an increasing dose to the therapeutic effects ? After 10 years of use is it as effective as before to suppress fatigue ?
Old 08-29-18, 01:49 PM

thomass is on a distinguished road

Are you taking other meds?
Old 08-29-18, 05:15 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

The doctor should warn about those side effects, but really...not mentioned at all. My thing about heat/sun is mostly about my getting older (I know because it had already gotten bad before switching to Adderall) so the med is just making it a bit worse. I live in Texas where hot sunny days are just what you have to live with. I'm trying to make it to October. Hopefully there won't be any more triple digits.