ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 03-28-19, 12:09 PM

TooBcherished is on a distinguished road
Red face Speech and Communication, Oh my!!

Hi Everyone, I'm new here

I am 40 years old now, however, I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until I was around 33. I have ADD Inattentive type. Turns out I have had it since I was very little but of course, as with many in my situation, it ran under the radar. Now even years later, I am still struck by how much I don't understand or didn't know about how ADHD affects me personally. It wasn't until completing an assignment just now that I realize that ADHD not only causes me issues in written form (takes me a while to complete long assignments and even organizing my thoughts to respond in depth to an email) but the more I considered how it affects me I thought about how I have to pause before answering a question because I will spit the words out in the wrong order.

A simple question of how are you doing today? I could easily respond with "I hope my drive home is going to be fine. There were so many accidents on the way here. (suddenly realizing my error .."Oh, but my day is going just fine. I just hope my drive home goes better.

Does anyone else have this issue? What have you found that has helped? What do you do on your own where you have noticed improvement?
I will, of course, look into therapy outside as well however with a full two months of travel for work I know that I can't get in to see anyone for at least that long and would like to start wherever I can.
I am currently on Vyvanse and Adderall booster for the afternoons to manage symptoms.

I am now seeking out some groups that are helpful in trying to understand all aspects of ADHD so I am thankful for this group. Are there any other resources or online groups you think I should join?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TooBcherished For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-28-19), aeon (03-28-19), Daniel1970 (03-29-19), namazu (03-28-19), stef (03-28-19)
Old 03-28-19, 06:46 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,417 Times in 10,803 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speech and Communication, Oh my!!

Hi, and welcome!

Have you been evaluated for processing problems / learning disabilities as well as ADHD? They often travel together, and it can sometimes be tricky to disentangle their effects.

(For example, did you hear "How was your drive?" because you weren't paying attention, or because you have trouble distinguishing sounds / putting them in the right order, or both?)

Does the medication seem to be helping -- in general, or with this specific problem?

Again, welcome to ADDF!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-28-19), stef (03-29-19)
Old 03-28-19, 09:42 PM

TooBcherished is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply! I was diagnosed with ADHD by a psychiatrist who followed up to make sure there were no other issues by giving me a series of tests that confirmed the diagnose. It revealed no other issues except anxiety. One often compounds the other. As far as communication is concerned I have definitely hear and process things fine. The issue always comes in my response itís sinply my mouth trying to catch up to my brain. If take a slight pause itís enough to organize my thoughts and actually SAY what Iím thinking. It was not until researching the subject for a class that Iím taking that I even realized that ADHD can affect communication in that way. Grasping did words that are in the tip of my tongue etc. medication absolutely helps but just like everything else with ADHD I feel there are strategies I should likely be putting in place. Did I mention I do some public speaking /trainings for a living? 🤣
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TooBcherished For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-28-19), Daniel1970 (03-29-19), namazu (03-28-19), stef (03-29-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-19, 04:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I have a slight yet consistent problem processing what I hear, and if I'm tired or upset it can be like hearing a barking dog instead of actual speech. My mouth trying to catch up to my brain, is every day although I can usually catch it.

Meds have helped immensely with this, but if I'm excited about something and meds have worn off, I'm totally incoherent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-29-19), namazu (03-29-19)
Old 03-29-19, 05:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBcherished View Post
Thank you for your reply! I was diagnosed with ADHD by a psychiatrist who followed up to make sure there were no other issues by giving me a series of tests that confirmed the diagnose. It revealed no other issues except anxiety. One often compounds the other. As far as communication is concerned I have definitely hear and process things fine. The issue always comes in my response itís sinply my mouth trying to catch up to my brain. If take a slight pause itís enough to organize my thoughts and actually SAY what Iím thinking. It was not until researching the subject for a class that Iím taking that I even realized that ADHD can affect communication in that way. Grasping did words that are in the tip of my tongue etc. medication absolutely helps but just like everything else with ADHD I feel there are strategies I should likely be putting in place. Did I mention I do some public speaking /trainings for a living? ��
I'm a trainer too! A lot of times I still lose the word I want to use, so I have to come up with a creative way to get across the same idea with less ideal words.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-29-19)