ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-04, 09:32 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Cool ideas that (might) never get used

I just know that ADD people have ideas that would collectively change the face of the planet. Unfortunately, most of these ideas never get written down or communicated... the ones that are written down or communicated are often not taken seriously... and the ones we try to implement ourselves, often fail because of our ADD obstacles.

So I want to propose an "idea bank" thread. Post your fantastic ideas here, for industry, society, household tips, whatever... they don't have to be practical, they don't have to be perfect... they just have to be creative, and ours, and crying for an audience.

I'll go first as an example:

The SPAMVORTEX: A website that any member of the public can forward their spam to. It collects the email addresses of the people who sent spam, then forwards EACH piece of spam to EVERYBODY in it's spammer's database. As time goes by, the spammers will be overwhelmed with their own medicine... instant karma! Even better, most spammers have an automated system that re-spams anyone who answers one of their emails... and shares these emails with their partner spamming companies... so they all become little satellite Spamvortexes, bouncing more and more spam back and forth between each other...

Ideas that have already been done may be put in this thread as well:

CHOCODILES. The word occurred to me as a brilliant name for a chocolate treat... and after looking it up on the Internet, it appears that it also occurred to someone else several decades ago...

ANTI-LOCK SPINNING BATTLEBOT: Any Battlebots or Robot Wars fan knows what a "spinner" robot is. The most powerful ones are the ones where the entire robot spins. Unfortunately, those robots are also immobile... they can't maneuver when spinning, and can only use their power if the other robot attacks THEM, which they usually aren't dumb enough to do until the robot stops spinning to move. But it occurred to me that if you put an anti-lock brake on one of the robot's two wheels, and timed it to the speed of the robot's motion, you could have the robot spinning AND advancing across the battlebox floor at the same time!
Unfortunately, some university professor had the same idea and already created a robot based off of it called Tesla's Tornado (it didn't do very well in competition).
Old 01-28-04, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
FOLD-UP HEADPHONES

I always put my headphones in my backpack and they take up tons of space and get broken (they have so much tape on them... lol)

I had it all planned out to make headphones that can fold up so they are small and less breakable, but appearantly someone else already did that. too bad!!
Old 01-28-04, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
IN-ORGANIC MATTER BOMB

When I was in 7th grade I started a sci-fi novel - the main goal was to *somehow or other* get rid of most of the people on the earth with only a few select ones left over. the people would slowly find each other in the aftermath, but all that would be left is rubble and nature. I didn't want to get rid of the people or animals and all that... only civilization... the whole point was that these people would create their own NEW civilization and I was going to explore they way they did it and what it became. Eventually I was going to have all the rest of the world come out of hiding only to discover that their world hadn't blown up after all, and find their kids had made a much better civilization on their own.

The only problem was I couldn't think of a way to get rid of everything that would leave all the people and things ALIVE...

hence the "inorganic matter bomb!" blows up buildings and tvs over the whole world but not your dog. lol

I got through like 7 or 8 chapters and gave up becuase I realized i didn't know how to construct a civilization... lol
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-04, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
Quote:
CHOCODILES. The word occurred to me as a brilliant name for a chocolate treat... and after looking it up on the Internet, it appears that it also occurred to someone else several decades ago...
yup .... i was going to start an internet gourmet basket company with that name. somewhere i have the files with pictures and stuff....
Baruch Spinoza

Old 01-29-04, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Christiana
IN-ORGANIC MATTER BOMB

When I was in 7th grade I started a sci-fi novel - the main goal was to *somehow or other* get rid of most of the people on the earth with only a few select ones left over. the people would slowly find each other in the aftermath, but all that would be left is rubble and nature. I didn't want to get rid of the people or animals and all that... only civilization... the whole point was that these people would create their own NEW civilization and I was going to explore they way they did it and what it became. Eventually I was going to have all the rest of the world come out of hiding only to discover that their world hadn't blown up after all, and find their kids had made a much better civilization on their own.

The only problem was I couldn't think of a way to get rid of everything that would leave all the people and things ALIVE...

hence the "inorganic matter bomb!" blows up buildings and tvs over the whole world but not your dog. lol

I got through like 7 or 8 chapters and gave up becuase I realized i didn't know how to construct a civilization... lol
Something like this has been done, and very well indeed too, by Larry Niven in his books Ringworld, The Ringworld Engineers, and Ringworld Throne. The book itself is sci-fi describing a world built in a ring shape around a star (the construct in the game Halo was modelled after it). HOWEVER, the story takes place in the aftermath of an attack against the Ringworld by a high tech race... seems they feared the Ringworlders and designed a weapon that would destroy all high technology. The science behind it was that they had developed a microbe (bacteria) that ate superconductor (high tech wiring, basically) the same way that rust corrodes metal... everything on the Ringworld used superconductor, so all of their machines and computers were gone, with a few rare exceptions they managed to preserve. Civilization collapsed to pretech levels except for small enclaves.

Good books, although kind of dry and technical sometimes, I highly recommend them.

P.S. You ever feel like all the good ideas are already taken?
Old 01-29-04, 09:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
Yeah, sometimes, but really, I keep hope alive by convincing myself that the *best* ideas are still out there.
Old 01-29-04, 09:12 AM
Forum ADDvocate

How about a school system or program therein which focuses on common sense or how to handle everyday situations? I had some inspiration for this one here, but it's pretty good. If this one already exisits, I think we would know about it.
Old 01-29-04, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

citruscat2002 is on a distinguished road
For our friends and neighbours who live so much of the year "winter driving", I propose disposable car mats containing silica granules (they'd be dryable and reusable) to offset some of the standing water and rust damage that ages our cars. Kind of like a giant Pamper. Run with it, children and remember me when you're rich.....
Old 01-29-04, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

...then my lifelong wish to be "The Car Mat Queen" would be realized.
I guess most of us have had great ideas only to find someone else puts into production (sigh).
Old 01-29-04, 10:35 AM
Banned

You mean people would park on these mats? Not sure I am envisioning this correctly...
Old 01-29-04, 10:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

Yeah, right. Just park the car over the giant mat while it drips dry.... the "Tidy Garage" miracle mat!
No Clam, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant actual interior car mats (under your wet, dripping boots).
Old 01-29-04, 10:53 AM
Banned

LOL thanks for the clarification. I have a great imagination, but it's quintessentially male--it tends to charge off on its own without asking for directions.
Old 01-29-04, 10:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

A fabulous creative asset, don't you think?
Old 01-29-04, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Smile

When I was about 7 or 8 I use to use tape to hold my dolls diapers on..... Do I have to say any more about this?.....lol.... I could have been rich !!!

Clothes done Alarm : when your clothes are done and have been left in the machine for more than 10 mins.
Old 01-29-04, 11:04 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Can I expound upon this one?---an acutal guy, a real mafioso, strongarm type, comes and gets your distracted a** off the net to fold the clothes and stands there till you are done.