ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 01-06-11, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,913 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvrfullmidwife View Post
You know both you and your child are ADHD when you tell them to go put their shoes away in the refrigerator and they come run off to brush their teeth--but instead cover the entire bathroom mirror with the bandaids sitting next to the toothpaste. (sigh)
I thought my granddaughter was never going to grow out of the bandaid phase. It took years! I still find used ones in odd places every now and then, but not nearly as often.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-07-11)
Old 01-06-11, 10:04 PM

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

they try to plug the bathtub with a whole box of tampons.

they jump up from the dinner table, run out the back door, run around the house, then come back in and sit down and continue their conversation like nothing ever happened.

they run through every bedroom in the house, jumping on each bed, then downstairs as fast as they can slamming into the kitchen cabinets to stop. Shake self off then repeat. Several times.

Oh my the memories! She was a WILD child.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-07-11)
Old 01-10-11, 04:04 PM

Tonysmimi has a spectacular aura aboutTonysmimi has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

Before my son (six years) was diagnosed, this scenario was repeated several times:
Reading to him before bedtime, usually something pretty complicated, like Harry Potter... While I am reading, he is also flipping through an unrelated picture book AND is flying a toy airplane/spaceship/truck around, making the sound effects - loudly. After five minutes of this, I get frustrated and say "I am not going to keep reading if you are not going to listen!!!" To which he insists "I AM listening!" Me: "Oh yeah? Then what did I just say???"
And he would repeat back to me, inflections included, the last three sentences I just read. I never could figure out how he did that. Now, I know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tonysmimi For This Useful Post:
BusyMom24 (01-29-11), Lady Lark (01-11-11), Sam I Am (01-11-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-11, 01:43 PM
Jr Member

Rynne0406 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Lunacie, you reminded me of one.

You know your child is ADHD when she says, "Mom"

You reply, "Yes?"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"What do you want"

"Ummmm..."

HA HA HA HA DAILY!

You know your child is ADHD when he spills over his hot chocolate FOUR times within 20 min while you are cleaning up each mess (why did it take me four times to throw it out before starting to clean is beyond me)

....when you come home and your child is in his bedroom with legos with the door shut because the tv is too loud because the remote is in the bathroom from when he ran in there to go to the bathroom and the toilet is clogged with legos.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rynne0406 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-12-11)
Old 01-14-11, 02:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

maggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nice

...when you ask your 10 year old to go wash his hands for dinner. After the third or fourth reminder, he finally goes in to the bathroom and comes out a few minutes later proudly announcing that he has brushed his teeth!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maggie403 For This Useful Post:
Codykins (02-20-11), Lady Lark (01-17-11), Spikey 723 (04-10-11), Tbearsmum (09-27-12)
Old 01-25-11, 12:11 AM

sarid is on a distinguished road

I knew mine was when in the middle of his kindergarten class he jumped on his desk and started singing "Cover of the Rolling Stone", by Dr. Hook. I personally found it hilarious, this was kindergarten of course, unfortunately the teacher did not.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarid For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-25-11)
Old 01-25-11, 08:44 AM

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

when the comic "calvin and hobbes" is a clear reflection of your daily life
The Following User Says Thank You to sighduck For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-25-11)
Old 01-26-11, 12:55 PM

Gemsie will become famous soon enough

When he pours crisps into his custard and pie pudding because he's not concentrating and hasnt actually realised what hes done until he eats it??
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemsie For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-27-11)
Old 01-29-11, 02:27 AM

BusyMom24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysmimi View Post
Before my son (six years) was diagnosed, this scenario was repeated several times:
Reading to him before bedtime, usually something pretty complicated, like Harry Potter... While I am reading, he is also flipping through an unrelated picture book AND is flying a toy airplane/spaceship/truck around, making the sound effects - loudly. After five minutes of this, I get frustrated and say "I am not going to keep reading if you are not going to listen!!!" To which he insists "I AM listening!" Me: "Oh yeah? Then what did I just say???"
And he would repeat back to me, inflections included, the last three sentences I just read. I never could figure out how he did that. Now, I know.
This is hilarious - and I thought only MY son could do this! I get so frustrated because I'm 1000% sure he's not listening, but he proves me wrong almost every time!
Old 01-29-11, 04:42 PM

lmo0408 will become famous soon enough

When your 2 year old has woken up at 5 am for the fifth day in a row so you plop him down in front of some educational tv for 30 min only to come back out in 15 min to check on him and discover that he's taken the majority of his dad's keyboard letters off. All the while making not a sound!

When you come up with the brilliant idea of putting a child lock on the inside of his bedroom door so that he can't come out a million times during nap only to have him figure out how to pop the child lock off within two days of this brilliant plan.

When the majority of toys in his room are broken or missing pieces because he A) threw them around the room because he wanted to "destroy his room" or B) he wanted to take it apart.

When he gets a black eye from jumping off the bed after being repeatedly told not to only to get a second black eye later that from jumping between beds at the hotel and slamming into his uncle's head who was doing the same thing (only a year between them).

When you buy him a transformer and let him fall asleep with it only to have him wake up an hour later with the entire thing in pieces because he couldn't transform it (he's literally putting it back together or trying as I type this).

When he has a tantrum because you said yes to something that he wanted because he didn't pay attention to the answer.

When you feel like you've ended the day on top because there was no fight for bedtime and he went right to sleep and has been quiet only to have him walk out of his room an hour and a half later saying he didn't kiss you good night. What was he doing all that time?!

When begin wondering if he really does have the tough fall you keep warning him about if you stop telling him a million times to stop jumping off the couch, if he'll stop jumping off the couch.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmo0408 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-31-11)
Old 01-30-11, 08:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

hoolio has a spectacular aura abouthoolio has a spectacular aura about

When she accidentally cuts a glow in the dark necklace (you know the kind that you have to "break" to make them glow) with scissors because she wasn't paying attention and forgot they were under the piece of paper she was cutting... and then, decides to shake it while spinning in circles to spray the liquid all over her room so that when she went to bed (which is what she was supposed to be doing in the first place!!) the whole room would glow like stars shimmering!

I did that when I was a kid.... and was really annoyed that the glow effect wore off and didn't have my "star lit" room the next night!

I also nearly drove my step mother to insanity with the constant "Mom" "Yes dear" "Mom" "Yes" "Mom" "WHAT?" "Nevermind, I forgot!" conversation that occurred daily I am sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to hoolio For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-31-11)
Old 01-30-11, 10:58 AM

lmo0408 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
When she accidentally cuts a glow in the dark necklace (you know the kind that you have to "break" to make them glow) with scissors because she wasn't paying attention and forgot they were under the piece of paper she was cutting... and then, decides to shake it while spinning in circles to spray the liquid all over her room so that when she went to bed (which is what she was supposed to be doing in the first place!!) the whole room would glow like stars shimmering!

I did that when I was a kid.... and was really annoyed that the glow effect wore off and didn't have my "star lit" room the next night!
My son did this, but with his mouth so that the inside of his mouth was glowing. Resulted in a call to poison control haha
The Following User Says Thank You to lmo0408 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-31-11)
Old 02-10-11, 10:32 PM

branjie will become famous soon enough

Your son is half way dressed, you tell him to finish getting dressed, only to turn around a moment later and he's stripped down to his undies. Next time he's getting dressed he's putting his school clothes over his pyjamas.

You ask your son why he opened the safety gate and let his baby sister crawl up the stairs, his response is "she wanted me to".

He almost drowns grandma while playing at the local pool, and doesn't even realise he's done it.

Each day before getting out the shower he turns it to full bore cold water so he can run underneath the shower screaming agh it's cold!

You can't sit next to him on the couch without being squeezed, pinched or poked.

He's always there for a nice firm hug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to branjie For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (02-11-11), Spikey 723 (04-10-11)
Old 02-18-11, 01:43 AM

SeekingSanity79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Yep, my kid does that (so did I -- my parents used to give me anti nausea medicine to help with car sickness and it would put me to sleep -- an added benefit from a kid who couldn't wait to get there). Now what was that medicine call....?
Hi, I'm new here. Ok, so is car sickness common for kids with ADHD? Wondering because my daughter gets nauseous but I had never before related it to her ADHD...
Old 02-20-11, 12:36 AM
Jr Member

MrsKLW09 is on a distinguished road

How about - When you actually worry if your house is quiet..

There are so many. And my ADHD'er is only 4! lol. I swear this thread makes me think every one of you has cameras in my house, because you're describing my kid.

You tell him to put on socks and shoes for school, and instead he comes out naked and covered in black pen (true story, his legs are still black days later)

You must have told him 2,000 times in one day not to climb on the counter. Not only does he climb on the counter, but you find him on top of the fridge - twice.

It's a victory if he goes a day without breaking something beyond repair

Your own relatives ban him from family holidays because dinner table manners escape him

When his teachers say "he seemed to have difficulty paying attention today" you don't flinch, in fact you laugh and say "Is that all? He was a good boy today, then"

If he pees in the toilet and not on the floor, it's a huge reward-worthy deal

He still sleeps in your bed despite that he wants (and has) his own bedroom with a bed that's 10 times more comfortable (and expensive) than yours.

He chews and sucks on his clothes to the point of ruin

When other parents cringe at the things he does, you look sideways at them and wonder why they're concerned

He talks incessantly all day, and literally asks you roughly every minute all day what time it is (sometimes every 30 seconds... ugh)

He cusses so much it would make a sailor blush, and everyone except you is horrified, because it's our every day "normal".

He flies out of bed at 6am in overdrive and flies at 100mph all day long until he finally drops from exhaustion at 11pm.

He is also known as "the human tornado".

He is so smart, it frightens people, and he often asks questions that even adults don't know the answers to (really, sometimes I've had to do some googling to answer his questions! haha)

He'd rather watch the local news than Spongebob

I could go on and on...

DS Evan 4yrs, Dx'd ADHD/Gifted/Possible High-Function Autism, Unmedicated (so far..)

DD Abigail Born 10/20/10

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsKLW09 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (02-20-11), Tbearsmum (09-27-12)