ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 02-20-11, 12:51 AM
Jr Member

MrsKLW09 is on a distinguished road
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

I forgot to add the time at 3 years old he announced to his preschool class that nursery rhymes suck, and that he likes Lady Gaga. LOL!!! You should have seen the stares of death in my direction. It was epic.

DS Evan 4yrs, Dx'd ADHD/Gifted/Possible High-Function Autism, Unmedicated (so far..)

DD Abigail Born 10/20/10

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsKLW09 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (02-20-11), Rebelyell (05-18-11)
Old 02-26-11, 12:59 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,243 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

How about when you go to check on how much cleaning they've done in their room only to find it twice as messy as when you asked them to clean it, and your child excitedly showing you all the cool toys they found under their bed, in the back of their closet, under their dresser, behind their desk, under their pile of laundry, and in all those other places they shove things. Or even better, they've dumped out their toy box because they realized it makes the perfect rocketship/car/boat/castle.

I used to do that to my mom all the time. She eventually had to start supervising me as I cleaned my room, otherwise she would come back to a disaster area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offle For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (02-26-11)
Old 03-07-11, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

katie_c is on a distinguished road

How about when your 4 1/2 year old (undiagnossed) goes to her room to get changed into her pajamas, and comes back out 45 minutes later with an entirely new outfit (not pajamas) on. Then when you ask why she didn't get her pajamas on, and why half of the contents of her dresser are on the floor, she says "I just can't think if I can see toys". How the heck do you argue with that logic lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katie_c For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (03-08-11), Tbearsmum (09-27-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-11, 05:51 PM

Jaydens_Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Lunacie, you reminded me of one.

You know your child is ADHD when she says, "Mom"

You reply, "Yes?"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"What do you want"

"Ummmm..."
lmfao this is a good one, my son did this in the pharmacy today while we were filling out his medication... the pharmacist found it rather humorous. The last part was more "umm, i forgot" though hehe
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaydens_Mom For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-10-11)
Old 03-10-11, 05:56 PM

Jaydens_Mom is on a distinguished road

when your child is told to brush his teeth and comes back with the cat in his arms and his teeth unbrushed.

Then told again to brush his teeth and there he is sitting in the bedroom watching a cartoon.

Told AGAIN to brush his teeth, he makes it half way down the hall and comes back with this "awesome story" he's got to tell you, then forgets what the story is and walks back to his bedroom INSTEAD of the washroom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaydens_Mom For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-10-11), Lady Lark (03-10-11)
Old 03-15-11, 09:28 PM
Jr Member

GabesMom is on a distinguished road

At the age of 2 he has to have plastic surgery done on his face from impaling his mouth and gums on a cabinet door in the bathroom and returns home to attempt climbing on it again within a few short hours after surgery.
At the age of 5 your son loses a finger in the jamb of a door and a few minutes later while everyone is still rushing around and the ambulance arrives actually asks- "What's wrong?"
I, too, hear this repeatedly: "Mom" "Yes?" Louder.."Mom" "What?" "Moooommmm" "What is it?" "Huh?" "You kept calling for me. What did you need?" "I dunno."
When the jungle gym outside is used less than the living room furniture, and the bedroom furniture, and the kitchen furniture, etc....
When getting him ready for school in the morning and talking all about it all morning and then when getting ready to go out the door- "Where are we going Mom?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GabesMom For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (03-15-11), Spikey 723 (04-10-11)
Old 04-01-11, 12:26 PM

Bella'sMom has a spectacular aura aboutBella'sMom has a spectacular aura about

You help her get her room clean on Wednesday because you know you'll be busy Thursday night and family is coming Friday night. Thursday night you're so busy working in the kitchen that you let her play... but you can't find the grater you needed for the zuchini for the zuchini bread...
You get up this morning to wake her up for school, and there is the grater on her desk, and there is the cheese you didn't know was missing, and it's grated ALLLlll over the previously clean room... the desk, the chair, the futon... and she can't tell you why...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bella'sMom For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (04-03-11), sighduck (04-13-11), tanyahill35 (04-13-11)
Old 04-01-11, 01:37 PM
Jr Member

momofone has a spectacular aura aboutmomofone has a spectacular aura about

Great stories here. I will add mine that pushed me to realize it was time to have Shane evaluated for ADHD.

In an effort to reduce the many times he interrupted his teacher to share whatever thought or question popped into his head, we arranged for him to have a notebook that he would write those thoughts in. The plan was he would write in it and quietly place on his teacher's desk or chair so they could discuss it later when she was free. However, he would interrupt her still every day to ask how to spell a word or for a suggestion on how to word something that he was writing in the book in an effort to NOT interrupt her. Thankfully, she was very understanding and found humor in it rather than getting annoyed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momofone For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (04-03-11), sighduck (04-13-11), Spikey 723 (04-10-11)
Old 04-01-11, 01:44 PM
Jr Member

mrsh is on a distinguished road

You know your child is ADHD when during a 10 minute homework block he gets a drink of water, adjusts his pants, blows his nose, goes to the bathroom and gets up to find out what his brother is doing at least 10 times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsh For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (04-03-11), rumandraisins (07-12-11)
Old 04-13-11, 08:58 AM

tanyahill35 is on a distinguished road

My son is almost 6 and still pees his pants almost daily and has to wear the size 7 diapers to bed ..the pull ups dont cut it. It actually feels good to read some of the stories and they sound the same as mine...you know your child has adhd when your walking down the street to and he stops to take a pee along the road in town and waves to the car going by...lol. I dont think anything shocks them like it does us.
The Following User Says Thank You to tanyahill35 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (04-13-11)
Old 04-23-11, 10:25 AM
Jr Member

JimmyJim is on a distinguished road

Ha! Yup that's my kid too---though sometimes he doesn't make it and blames his weenie.
Old 05-04-11, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,847 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

When you go to a restaurant and this happens:

DS: (burps loudly--like I think the windows in the restaurant rattled loudly)
Me: Wow! What do you say?
DS: I BURPED!
Me: No, I was thinking about a word that starts "ex---"
DS: Exhale? (with a grin on his face)
Me: "Excuse Me"
DS: You're excused!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (05-05-11), Rebelyell (05-18-11), rumandraisins (07-12-11), sighduck (05-04-11)
Old 05-04-11, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

You know your child/teen (might) have ADHD when you buy the newest Call of Duty and he completes the entire game in one day and then never touches it again.

You know your child (might) have ADHD when his kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade teachers call you every single day asking for help. Or when he gets sent to the principles office 11 times between August and October. Or when he learns absolutely nothing until January when he starts taking meds and then catches up within 3 weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (05-05-11)
Old 05-18-11, 05:02 PM
Contributor

holmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of light

ok here a couple for you guys... I got totally excited a few weeks ago because i actually got a postcard in the mail from my sons PE teacher saying that he was doing good.. I practically danced down the driveway.

A conversation with my son today actually (he is 6) - *comes running up to me all proud of himself* "I didn't spit in the house mom!"

Mom: "ok where di d you spit?"

Son: "In the bathroom and outside.... I cleaned it up with my foot though!"

I should probably add that he is running around barefoot!

His response when i started laughing... "what's funny?"

Just thought i would share..
The Following User Says Thank You to holmracing For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (05-19-11)
Old 05-18-11, 10:34 PM

Amanda1212 is on a distinguished road

I nearly fell out of my chair over some of these, especially the ones that remind me of Amanda! The "mom, what, mom, what, I love you" really got me going. I am also very relieved to see I am not the only Mom going crazy over getting the teeth brushed and getting dressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda1212 For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (05-19-11)