ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 05-04-12, 09:10 PM

DawsonsMom is on a distinguished road
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

You know your child is ADHD when:

he decides it would be cool to find out what gorilla tape will do on his private area front to back! OUCH!

you find screw drivers, measuring tape, or random stuff hidden in their room for, "later"

when you tell him to play quietly in his room for 15 minutes while you make dinner to find him in the back room by the french doors. With a complete spread out of your disassembled deadbolt, door handle, door pins, and a screw driver. SMH.
Old 05-19-12, 08:06 PM

Cholecox is on a distinguished road

I read through every single post here all very amusing, some head scratching and lots of laughing THANKS... I don't really have anyone to talk to about my son so found this really helpful to read. See even though my son was DIAGNOSED with ADHD (Moderate) people don't really believe he has ADHD because his behaviour goes up and down! Even at school he is a lot calmer than normal ( but this is because he always gets attention from the teachers and kids in the class)...

Moving on, he is nearly 7 yrs and until now I felt I was the only one experiencing the following:

*I’M BORED I’M BORED When he’s just stopped doing something 2 seconds ago no exaggeration.

*Having to sit quietly for 40 mins on the sofa and NOT MOVE until he is snoring or he will jump out of the bed with the slightest noise – and say I can’t sleep ... then going to check on him after the 40 mins and he is wide awake reading in his bed… saying I can’t sleep...

*You tuck him/her in bed and turn off the lights. They are actually up playing with a toy or reading for the last 2 hrs before you realise. (they discovered how to do something quietly for a change, but just at the wrong time).

*He used to get up in the middle of the night and go and sit in the sitting room in the dark with teddy! Not saying a word, when asked what are you doing the answer is I can’t sleep..

* They kick the covers off during the night (tempted to sew them to his pyjamas) getting up 3 times in the middle of winter Brrr.. to put covers back on and take him wee because once he out – he is knocked out… he has only ever woken up once during his 7 years to go wee by himself…( I celebrated that night) but it never happened again. Forgot to mention I get screamed at, hit and kicked when I wake him to go wee every night ( he won’t walk and he's nearly as tall me, i'm not that tall, worried I will have back problems soon).

*Putting pull ups on every night, changing them during the night.. your child is nearly 7 and your friend is telling you how her 3 year old wakes up by themselves goes toilet and gets back into bed by themselves. What !!!

During the day

*Over active imagination Telling me stories and makes things up – 50 true – 50 made up all the time…

*School reading books... 3 weeks in a row never gave them back – kept forgetting..

*Not eating because playing or talking at the table – have to sit with him feed him or put food & fork in his hand. He sits at a table with an adult and other children who don't eat properly at lunch, she tells him to eat! She is a blessing as he didn't eat before and would bring all his pack lunch and even his drink back home.

*Getting him/her to remember to flush the toilet and wash his hands every time he / she uses it, he just runs out EVERYTIME, so much for hygiene. Yeah almost forgot he calls me EVERYTIME he does a number 2 wants me to look at it and describes it to me YUK - WHY ???

Thinks jumping on you (he’s almost the same height as me - did i mention i'm a small adult) is funny or hitting you is funny laughs like he having the best time and if you tell him to stop he just does it more and laughs even more... He is ready to play fight now - he doesn't hear me say: no or stop it...

*Your about to sit down, shoves his foot, hand or face out at the last second so you sit on it then laughs like it’s the funniest thing ever!

*Keeps taking things apart – wants to know how it works… but son if you take it apart it won’t work anymore… nick name at 1 1/2 yrs old – destruction and demolition boy! ( don't really say it out loud but in my head)

*Keeps breaking things by accident – tells me I didn’t mean to break it and I didn’t do it!

*Hiding stuff in my room from him, on top of fridge in cupboards nothing is ever where it's supposed to be.

*Never looks at you when your talking to him, but when he's talking to you, you have to look or it's MOM! MOM! And comes over to you.

*Having to tell him/her to slow down because you have no idea what they just said and YES you were listening.

*Following me around in and out of every room talking!

*When he wont stop talking even though you asked him 4 times. Then he starts asking question about the most random things and you have to listen (not just pretend) because he wants to know the answers or he gets VERY upset if you can't explain.

*Burnt by iron twice wouldn’t stay out my room and didn’t tell me. I only found out when I saw the huge blister… Taking toe nails off toes 3 times by pulling the door onto foot.

*Accidents / Cuts / Bruises every day. Mom: What happened? Son: I don't know...
Mom: arrgh... gritting teeth.

* Have you put your socks on? He tells me he can’t find socks / shoes (gets upset) even though they are right beside him. Will never understand this one.

*Telling him/her to put clothes, socks and shoes and 30 mins later they are still naked. You realise they are not going to do it, so you go around collecting their stuff from all over the place and then fight with them to get them dressed they won't keep still and even find it funny but it's not nothing is funny! What are you laughing at? Your going to be late for school and get a late mark / have treat taken away - still laughing - every day.

*Class teacher and assistant... take turns during the week to hold on to him in the playground after school, but say there is nothing wrong with him ( then why are you physically restraining him when I come to pick him up? and tell me he has to be moved around on the carpet( because he won't be still / stop talking). I don't know - shakes head and put head in hands .

Personality: (maybe be common or just part of my son)

*Thinks things are funny when they aren’t, THINKS HE’S THE FUNNIEST THING ON THE PLANET! Thinks he is the best: singer, dancer, actor (and has been making up his own jokes since he was 4 yrs old) told him they are not funny and they don’t make any sense BUT he just keeps on... he’s now 7 and they are in no way funnier but he laughs his head off at his owns jokes LOL this then makes me laugh.

*Moans constantly about everything, growls, is happy then upset then happy in 3 mins, tantrums and tears for almost anything, overly sensitive, attention seeking – good, bad and in between he doesn’t care how he gets it for who from... The post man, family, the old woman, friends, the shop keeper… as long as he is getting attention by talking to him or watching him he is contented. People have asked why i haven’t had another child but I’m sorry it is out of fear that a second child might be the same. Iv'e said it for 6 years... he's like 3 kids!!

But do I do love him more than the entire world - never met another child like him - he's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cholecox For This Useful Post:
HouseFull4+1 (09-24-12), LambyLottie (07-26-12)
Old 05-20-12, 04:20 AM

Cholecox is on a distinguished road

CHECKLIST for ADHD:
dore.co.uk/learning-difficulties/adhd/the-symptoms/

Last edited by Ms. Mango; 08-25-12 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: remove hyperlink
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-12, 06:17 PM

reese'smom is on a distinguished road

I love this thread! I laugh and cry every time I go through it. Sometimes I feel like no one else knows what it feels like to have a child with ADHD and this really helps me to see that I am not alone in this. I've got to start jotting some of Reese's antics down so I can post them here too LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to reese'smom For This Useful Post:
RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 06-06-12, 07:25 PM
Contributor

holmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of light

Actual conversation with 13 year old DS...

He gets home from school "mom i found clothes in my PE locker that have been there for 6 months"

me: "how do you know they have been there for 6 months"

him : "because i remember wearing them at the beginning of the year"

me: "oh yeah! Which ones were they?"

He searches through his backpack... pulls out 1 pair of pants, 1 button up shirt, 1 sweatshirts, 1 shirt, and 1 pair of shorts... then says "Dang it! i forgot the shirt at school!!!"

I LMAO'ed!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to holmracing For This Useful Post:
RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 07-07-12, 10:09 AM

clovislorax is on a distinguished road

When your child does all of the annoying ADD things that you do.
Old 07-23-12, 01:52 PM
Contributor

mommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to all

When....

you ask dd what she is doing and get "nothin'", but find her balancing a stool on top of a swivel chair to reach the straws to make a flute."

You warn dd (yet AGAIN") not to stand on the swivel office chair.

Half an hour later just walk in in time to see dd falling to the ground from aforementioned office chair. I cannot believe this child has not broken any bones !!!

Then...

A few minutes later as you are trying to have a few minutes to just sit and relax you hear here up and in the bathroom. You ask "what are you doing hon' " "Nothin' " is again the reply. (This is the standard answer daily and is code for "seriously mom, you have to ask !! I'm destroying, dissecting, dissassembling SOMETHING"

You walk into the bathroom to find soaked rolls of toilet paper and a girl with a sheepish grin. " I wanted to do ice sculpting, but with toilet paper, I could be famous !!! Everyone will want to buy them !!"

Seriously. This is followed by an explaination of how expensive the rolls are and what a waste it is to the environment.

I let her continue with her scuplting since they were already ruined and now I have lovely toiletpaper "snowballs" and a sculpture of ?" in my freezer.

Just another oridinary day with my amazing adhd girl.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommytriz For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (07-23-12), ginniebean (09-15-12), RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 07-24-12, 08:14 AM
Jr Member

LambyLottie is on a distinguished road

... when you go to change your dd's (age 5) bedding and find a pile of books, playdoh, glitter, dinosaurs, every toy animal under the sun, playmobil, beads and various other bits all inside her bedding and wonder if there is room for her in there!

...when the teacher pulls you to one side after school to say that "you know how pleased you were that she dressed herself this morning?... well she forgot her knickers and flashed me, so I had to pull her to one side and give her some spares!" ooops!

Lottie x
Old 07-31-12, 02:18 PM

USAfamily1 is on a distinguished road

You know your child is ADHD when:

You are talking to a salesman at the door and his eyes get really wide at something behind you. You turn around and there is DD covered in cosmetic foundation and nailpolish from the top of her head to the bottoms of her feet and the bathroom floor is also covered. -Age 3

You wake up in the middle of the night to find DD next to your bed cutting pictures out of her coloring book with a butcher knife, time to get medicated. –Age 3

You hear a noise from DD’s bedroom in the middle of the night, when you get in the room you see that the dresser has, luckily, fallen against a wall trapping DD safely in between the two. When asked why she was climbing the dresser… to peel the paint from the wall above the dresser. –Age 4

The school nurse calls you because DD has stuffed rocks in her ears. Dr’s clean out 8 rocks. When asked why... to see how many she could fit in there. –Age 5

You develop a roll of film and notice a picture of your niece on the computer who was babysitting DD and told, watch her at all times, do NOT go on the computer because she will get into mischief if you take your eyes off of her for a minute. –Age 5

The teacher calls because DD has given her a bracelet which looks quite valuable. Yes, that is the bracelet my husband bought me while he was in Afghanistan for a 1 yr. tour Thx –Age 6

DD pokes a hole in your waterbed to… see what was inside. Duh, it’s water, big surprise! –Age 8 (yes 8)

DD cracks an egg in grandma’s refrigerator to… see what was inside. Duh, it’s an egg! –Age 12 (yes 12)

Teacher says that DD might need glasses because she says she can’t see the board. Optometrist says vision is fine. A Special Education evaluation discovers that DD, who is the smallest child in the class, is seated in the back of the room, behind the tallest kid in the class. This might be the problem. –Age 13

Neighbor calls to tell you DD just wrecked their motor scooter and needs to go to the ER because her head is pretty banged up. When asked about a helmet… I did have a helmet on, I just didn’t buckle it. –Age 13

You catch DD in her closet cutting a "window" into the wall so she can talk to her sister at night when they are supposed to be sleeping. -Age 13 (yes 13)

DD is failing school because she hasn’t turned in any assignments. When they go through the locker they find every missing assignment crumpled but completed and when graded 90% and above. –Age 14

You come home one day and it looks like the dog has blood all over it’s foot just to discover DD painter the dogs nails. –Age 17

I have more but this is getting a little long
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USAfamily1 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (09-15-12), LynneC (07-31-12)
Old 08-24-12, 01:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Geno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholecox View Post
*When he wont stop talking even though you asked him 4 times. Then he starts asking question about the most random things and you have to listen (not just pretend) because he wants to know the answers or he gets VERY upset if you can't explain.
Hahahaha! I used to do this to my parents SO MUCH when I was a kid. And this was in the 90s before google existed, so at least you don't need to make up stuff like my parents did.
Major Depressive Disorder, Atypical.
Mild Panic Disorder.
(Suspected) Borderline Personality Disorder.

I LOVE PHARMACOLOGY! It's interesting learning how eating a chemical can cure diseases, change how you feel/think. I've read countless books, articles, research essays, and etc. on it. If you have an interest in it too or want to have a discussion about it, I'm open to it.
Old 09-15-12, 06:53 PM
Jr Member

VineFish is on a distinguished road

........ When you can read this thread while simultaneously laughing, crying and answering endless quickfire questions about reptiles.
The Following User Says Thank You to VineFish For This Useful Post:
Tbearsmum (09-27-12)
Old 09-15-12, 07:00 PM
Jr Member

VineFish is on a distinguished road

....when you read this thread laughing and then realise that actually your undiagnosed youngest son who we had always had suspicions about is probably also ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to VineFish For This Useful Post:
sunnydaysahead (01-01-13)
Old 09-25-12, 12:32 AM

HouseFull4+1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuberryShortcak View Post
LOL, I can so relate, I am always saying I need a safe to keep my soap in
I just discovered this forum and LOVE this thread!

... and by my own doing, while laughing at this post and agreeing with what so many of you have written.... my 7 year old was in the bath (right across from my office) and used the entire new bottle of body wash ...... why? .... because today was an extra bubble day!

..... you know your child has ADHD when

.... you know what every sound in your houses means without being in the room where the "activity" is taking place. ex: what each cabinet, in each room sounds like as it opens, what an item is when it is placed on the counter, which chair is being dragged and where is it being dragged to, etc. ..... and not only knowing the trouble that follows LOUD noises, but the trouble that follows NO noises! (ie: using an entire bottle of body wash)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HouseFull4+1 For This Useful Post:
BlackTieDad (11-13-12), Tbearsmum (09-27-12)
Old 09-27-12, 09:27 PM

Tbearsmum is on a distinguished road

Just found this forum, and am SO grateful to know I'm not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineFish View Post
........ When you can read this thread while simultaneously laughing, crying and answering endless quickfire questions about reptiles.
YES! And just to add a few of my own...

When you're on a first-name basis with every call nurse and doctor from every shift in the emergency room by the time they are two - AND have home numbers for several...

When you've been banned from four daycare providers by the time they are three - two of which are national chains who ask you to PLEASE not visit ANY of their other locations...

When you wake up to find water trails from one end of the house to the other, all leading to the bathroom - because your son was "potty training" his stuffed animals...

When you wake up to a bathroom painted with mentholatum - then spend two hours trying to clean it out of your son's eyes because, "It burns!! Don't touch me!!!"...

When you put your kindergartener on the bus to school - then immediately head back to the house to put your shoes on and get your keys ready for when the school calls you to pick them up early...

When you're on a first-name basis with the school principal, nurse, security staff, board of directors, and district president - all within the first three months of starting school...

When the regular teacher sends your child to spec-ed for being "unteachable", the spec-ed teacher sends your child to the gifted class for being "unchallenged", and the gifted teacher sends your child to the principal for asking too many questions - all in the same day...

When the kindergarten art teacher gives your son an entire table to himself, just so the other students don't become canvases...

When homeschooling is no longer a personal choice, but rather the only option left...

When your first grader can't remember anything you tell him, but can name every single dinosaur ever discovered - in both English AND Latin...

When every time you hear brakes squeal you immediately panic and look round for your child - even when they aren't with you...

When your second grader will spend six hours on a story he "just has to write down!", but has a major meltdown when it's time to do a 15-minute writing lesson...

And the beat goes on
Old 10-02-12, 08:57 AM

Leané's Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhermit View Post
He must have seen her doing them once when we visited her - months before, and remembered the name (even though he can only read a few words?!) or perhaps he remembered the look of the puzzles .............and yet, if I ask what he had for lunch, he cannot remember.
Yep, that sounds like my daughter. She will tell me what I was wearing on an outing TWO YEARS ago (she's 6), but won't be able to remember what she was going to go do in her room in the space of walking from the kitchen to there...