ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 02-06-13, 04:34 PM
Jr Member

chapeltownfs will become famous soon enough
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2626 View Post
Oh my goodness! This is my 7y/o!!!!
....this is me sometimes!!!
One DD with ADHD Homeschooling for High School
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::
The Following User Says Thank You to chapeltownfs For This Useful Post:
mirandatoritess (11-21-13)
Old 02-13-13, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin86 View Post
This thread makes me smile, I did all of these when I was a kid!! Feels good to know we are not alone! I don't have kids yet but I guess there's a high chance for them to inheritate my ADHD! At least i'll know what to look for!
same! I always thought I was the only kid who caused my family this much effort. To those of you with noisy kids, appreciate that they're not quiet. At least you'll know where they are and what they're up to at all times, according to my parents and grandparents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobotInDisguise For This Useful Post:
LynneC (02-14-13), Rebelyell (11-21-13)
Old 06-11-13, 03:40 PM
Jr Member

Maggie Sugar is on a distinguished road

You know your child has ADD or ADHD when....

You have two sets of school books for each child, one stays at school and one stays at home. That way they won't "forget" to bring books home.

You look up your child's grades on PowerSchool and see, despite being "very smart" they are failing (?!?!) three subjects. Stunned, you talk to teachers, set up conferences, send multiple emails and when you mention it, your child pulls over a dozen fully finished but crumpled assignments from the depths of her crowded, 26 lb back pack... and her grades are back to As and Bs the next day. "I did 'em. I just forgot to turn 'em in."

A common occurrence in your home is to send your 8 year old around the block 3 times to burn off energy. And your 3 year old is happily sent to run to the back of your 340 foot lot and back to the house "three times, count them" for the same reason..... and it works.

Your partner brings home a used drum set... and all your kids immediately know how to keep a beat and play the drums as if from osmosis. And, it's actually more quiet when they are on the drum kit in the basement than most of the rest of the day.

A quiet child means only one of two things: something is broken and they're trying desperately to fix it/hide it OR... they're asleep and you know they require a med change. (Kids with ADHD never sleep on their own!)

Tape, glue, epoxy etc are bought in bulk.

A "quick phone call" to your adult child with ADHD usually takes no less than 90 minutes, only 4 of which you were talking.

You had to nurse your child(ren) in a dark room, with the shades pulled without making eye contact. Even the slightest stimulation would cause your baby to pull off and start cooing and kicking and smacking you, ending the feeding early.

You get used to "What an alert baby!" comments within the first few weeks of each of your children's lives. You don't want to answer when people ask, "Is she a good baby ?" Good in "the opposite of evil?" Yes. Good as in "sleeps a lot" "sleeps through the night" and "is quiet and calm" you don't want to answer.

You give up on answering the question, "Does she sleep through the night yet?" at 6 weeks and are still wondering when it will happen when your child is 4 years old.

Daily occurrence: *CRASH* "I didn't do it!"
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-13, 01:37 AM

amyrm81608 is on a distinguished road

You know your child is ADHD when:

You have to literally grab his face, look him in the eye and tell him to go clean his room, and when you go to check on him five minutes later, you find him in his sisters room building blocks and you say... "What are you suppose to be doing right now?" and he looks at you like YOU'RE insane...
The Following User Says Thank You to amyrm81608 For This Useful Post:
brokenarms (10-24-13)
Old 06-12-13, 09:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrm81608 View Post
You know your child is ADHD when:

You have to literally grab his face, look him in the eye and tell him to go clean his room, and when you go to check on him five minutes later, you find him in his sisters room building blocks and you say... "What are you suppose to be doing right now?" and he looks at you like YOU'RE insane...
Any primary teacher will tell you that it takes lots of repetition for a child
to learn something new. Multiply that by 100 if the child has ADHD.

Your son literally does not remember that he was told to go and clean his
room. Just repeat it and go back in five minutes and repeat it again . . .
until he gets his room clean and then tell him, "I think your room looks
great. Thanks for cleaning it up."

The praise means you'll only have to remind him 95 times the next time
you tell him to clean his room, and only 90 times the next time.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-20-13, 01:27 PM

DropKick is on a distinguished road

you look under your child's bed and find five disassembled flash lights, two disassembled radios, and the parts to one remote. All before his fourth birthday.

Everything in your pantry has been taken out of it's box and put in gallon size plastic bags.

He teaches himself to read by associating cartoons with the guide channel on TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to DropKick For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-21-13)
Old 07-20-13, 01:38 PM

DropKick is on a distinguished road

I just remembered another one.....

your child clears off the dinner table then proceeds to take every single crayon out of his brand new 100 crayon box and then stand them on end in staggered rows so he can look at them. It was like I had a mini orchard of crayon trees on my dinner table.
The Following User Says Thank You to DropKick For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-21-13)
Old 07-30-13, 01:25 AM
Contributor

Silvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to behold

Something my mom told me about when I was a little kid:

We go to a fancy posh restaurant, and they seat us next to a beautiful painting, detailing the landscape of a lush evergreen forest...

Lo and behold, they give me crayons.

"Oooh, pretty picture!"

Pretty indeed. I'm not sure if my artistic addition was appreciated though.

We must have rushed out of the restaurant very quickly. But honestly, who in their right minds give crayons to a little girl when she's sitting next to an expensive painting? They were asking for it.

It's like giving a left-handed person a pair of right-handed scissors and expecting them to make some paper art. They'll twist their hands and wrists to adjust, turn the paper awkwardly, and take twice as long to cut a not-so-straight line. Are you going to blame them that they can't use a right-handed pair of scissors properly, or hand them a pair of lefty scissors?

Last edited by Silvermoonstone; 07-30-13 at 01:50 AM..
Old 07-30-13, 01:58 PM

infoseeker will become famous soon enough

Your child is missing what I refer to as the 'If this, then that' gene.
All the gems have been removed from your many years of employment pins, just because.
Your coffee maker, old computers, old game systems, old clocks, bikes, parts of your car, and any other old appliance has been disassembled "Just to see how they're put together", but nothing gets thrown out or reassembled.
Papers are cut into small pieces, and left there.
Old food wrappers, paper towels, and disassembled pen pieces are found hiding behind the couch cushions. Old food wrappers are found underneath the couch, tables, and underneath his bed.
Trash removed from any item is left precisely on the spot where it's been removed, even though an open trash receptacle could be merely 18 inches away.
Clothes are left in a heap where they were removed.
Lacks the 'put away' gene
Every day, when asked if he has homework to do, he replies that he doesn't, and nothing has been written onto his homework calendar. Then you check Power School and find that 80% of his homework was never turned in.
Shirts taken off the hangers in his closet are thrown onto the floor instead of getting hung back up again.

The list could go on and on and on...:-)
The Following User Says Thank You to infoseeker For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-30-13)
Old 07-30-13, 02:18 PM

infoseeker will become famous soon enough

How could I have forgotten this one?

When your pre-schooler comes into big brother's kindergarten class with you while you and other parents are meeting with their students' teachers to discuss progress reports, and immediately proceeds to pull down the fire alarm lever, setting off an ear piercing alarm. It went off for 25 minutes because the school had to wait for someone from the district to drive over to shut it off.

When I asked him why he'd pulled it, he replied that he thought it was a candy dispenser!

He also opened the back door in the grocery store, setting off their alarm. 9 years later the clerk still makes funny remarks about it.
Old 08-16-13, 09:47 PM

CanadaMom will become famous soon enough

When you wake up your 5 yo son and tell him to get dressed, and 5 minutes later he comes into the kitchen causing the whole family to erupt into cheers of amazement and praise for getting ready so fast, and he says:

"Actually, I just forgot to change out of my clothes last night, before I went to bed!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadaMom For This Useful Post:
E&L's Mommy (08-28-13), slave2thekids (09-09-13)
Old 08-28-13, 12:22 PM

E&L's Mommy is on a distinguished road

When you give your child a pair of socks, shoes, shirt, pants ect. to put on, turn around for 2 seconds and it is now nowhere to be found despite spending the next 20 minutes looking! OR you give your child a pair of his own socks and 10 minutes later he comes in wearing his sisters socks and looks at YOU like you are crazy when you ask where his socks are.

You hear things falling out of your son's bed for 20 minutes after he goes to bed as he turns over and the many things hidden in his bed are kicked or hit out.

Your daughter hides in her room for the first hour of the day away from your ADHD child until their medication starts up and "they aren't so crazy", but the ADHD child just stands at her door and talks non-stop anyway.

Be prepared to spend 30 minutes listening to a re-telling of any 15 minute cartoon... and if you interrupt it starts over.
The Following User Says Thank You to E&L's Mommy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-28-13)
Old 08-28-13, 01:32 PM

lilshorty4lyfe will become famous soon enough

You know your child is ADHD when you send them upstairs for the 3rd time to get socks on since the first two went something like this:

Whats on your feet?
DD: Ugh,, i fooorgottt shoes
Then she comes down with shoes and you ask:
Do you have socks on?
DD: Nooo, ugh.
DD after she is upstairs: What was I doing?

OR

Me: Can you please put your clothes away for the 5th time?!
DD: Yes, can I borrow your phone so i can listen to music while I do
Me: Checking on her 10 minutes later:
she has not touched her clothes, but has every piece of jewelry that she owns on, with a rock star outfit that she hand picked and is dancing around her room. Then she hears the stairs creak and runs to the basket to act like shes been doing it all along.

I have many many others but not all of them are funny yet
Old 10-13-13, 08:56 PM

NicoleFalling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcat View Post
ha ha ha ha ha!! i can't get over how magical this thread is!! ha ha!! i have been cracking up all morning!!
my son will design and illustrate an entire deck of pokemon cards in one sitting, but it takes an hour and a half and fourteen reminders for him to put his socks on in the morning!! plus, then they end up being the "wrong" socks (i have yet to find ADHD friendly socks) and we have to start all over. i remember countless episodes like those described above: all the contents of the fridge poured on the floor and "skated" in, EVERYTHING in our house "labelled" ("bukshelf", "t.v.", "frich"), and all my old books kidnapped and carefully arranged in towers on his bedroom floor. so much fun, so little time!!! ha ha ha!!

Wrong socks? I thought this was just my daughter.

I can not get her to keep her socks on. I will put them on, turn around, tell her to put her shoes on and halfway down the street I realize the socks are off again!

My daughter NEVER comes home from school with her socks on.

And she will complain that they dont fit... so I buy a different type, they don't fit, I buy a different thickness, they don't fit.

At least, this past week or so she stopped about her shoes that don't fit... they DO! we just bought them because she complained that the other pair didn't fit... that did. uh.
Old 11-20-13, 11:47 PM
Contributor

psychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleFalling View Post
Wrong socks? I thought this was just my daughter.

I can not get her to keep her socks on. I will put them on, turn around, tell her to put her shoes on and halfway down the street I realize the socks are off again!

My daughter NEVER comes home from school with her socks on.

And she will complain that they dont fit... so I buy a different type, they don't fit, I buy a different thickness, they don't fit.

At least, this past week or so she stopped about her shoes that don't fit... they DO! we just bought them because she complained that the other pair didn't fit... that did. uh.

And I thought that was just my daughter.

She hates wearing socks and has done since she was a baby.
I'd put socks on her and she'd pull them off as soon as she could, even when it was cold. I'd put them back on and off they'd come.
All the old biddies would say "oh poor thing, her feet must be so cold" and look at me as if I was the worst parent ever.
I tried tights and you'd think I was trying to kill her.

She wears knee high schools as part of her school uniform, but she pushes them down as soon as she can and as soon as she walks in the door and takes off her shoes (we take of our shoes at the entrance Japanese style) so strips off her socks too.

In Japanese culture they don't go much for bare feet - when you take off your shoes you are supposed to wear slippers or socks, so her grandmother is always bothered by her bare feet (especially in winter). I've given up trying to get her to wear socks and don't care that much, but have made an agreement that she wears socks when she goes downstairs to visit her grandmother - just to keep her happy. So she sometimes wears socks then

Of course because I also have ADHD she rarely has matching socks anyway