ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-07, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gadgetgirl will become famous soon enough
EMDR for ADD

I'm curious if anyone has tried emdr specificly for add?

How successful was it?
Old 05-12-07, 05:26 PM
Jr Member

DaniJ is on a distinguished road
what is EMDR?
Old 05-14-07, 06:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

What is EMDR? - this is from www.emdr.com
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy treatment that was originally designed to alleviate the distress associated with traumatic memories (Shapiro, 1989a, 1989b). Shapiro’s (2001) Adaptive Information Processing model posits that EMDR facilitates the accessing and processing of traumatic memories to bring these to an adaptive resolution. After successful treatment with EMDR, affective distress is relieved, negative beliefs are reformulated, and physiological arousal is reduced. During EMDR the client attends to emotionally disturbing material in brief sequential doses while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus. Therapist directed lateral eye movements are the most commonly used external stimulus but a variety of other stimuli including hand-tapping and audio stimulation are often used (Shapiro, 1991). Shapiro (1995) hypothesizes that EMDR facilitates the accessing of the traumatic memory network, so that information processing is enhanced, with new associations forged between the traumatic memory and more adaptive memories or information. These new associations are thought to result in complete information processing, new learning, elimination of emotional distress, and development of cognitive insights. EMDR uses a three pronged protocol: (1) the past events that have laid the groundwork for dysfunction are processed, forging new associative links with adaptive information; (2) the current circumstances that elicit distress are targeted, and internal and external triggers are desensitized; (3) imaginal templates of future events are incorporated, to assist the client in acquiring the skills needed for adaptive functioning.
Old 05-14-07, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,018 Times in 641 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
  • EMDR is for trauma, not ADD, right? (Although the two disorders can be linked. For example, survivors of torture tend to have ADHD type cognitive problems, and seem sorta 'stunned' and unable to focus. Children who have had stress or family instability or severe illnesses in childhood, can have it affect their learning and attention.)
How would you do this protocol using ADD?

E.G.
  • EMDR uses a single incident's traumatic memory, in each session.
  • What Symptom of ADD would you be trying to "treat" & improve, using EMDR? Everyone's ADD problems are different. Is the goal to improve Working memory? Disorganization? Planning? Executive dysfunction?
N.B. EMDR can make people "worse".
(Know of a several people this happened to.)

Adult-based trauma is what responds best to EMDR. Childhood trauma isn't usually verbalizable nor amenable to 'talk therapies' -- as children do not store trauma in 'words'.
Old 05-15-07, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

I know a therapist that does EMDR, and she has had many experiences with positive results with add/adhd, though its primary use is for trauma.
Old 05-15-07, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,018 Times in 641 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
You know how the EMDR app'ts work, right?

--> The Client focuses on recalling and re-experiencing one past incident.

--> Then the Client does the lateral (side-to-side) eye movements which follow the 'moving dots' back and forth on the screen, which are controlled by the therapist.

This is supposed to help the person process the memory non-traumatically.

----------------------

I suppose it would just take some quick Research to look up the search terms "EMDR" and "ADHD" in PubMed or OVID or GOOGLE Scholar, and try to find journal articles.

---------

Have there been RCTs ('randomized controlled trials') to assess if EMDR works for ADHD ?

RCTs are the gold standard for evaluating healthcare interventions.

------
re: efficacy of the EMDR processing method

One problem with EMDR, like a lot of therapies, is that it is "top down" processing, not "bottom up" processing. A lot of people with problems, have "bottom up hijacking" issues.

A lot of somatic and emotional issues cannot be resolved with cognitive (top down) approaches.

If it worked, then CBT and Talk Therapies would always work to resolve client's problems and 'conflicts'.

NB. Bottom Up and Top Down are concepts from cognitive psychology/cog. sci.

-----------

FWIW, also, sometimes ADD/ADHD can result from Psychological Trauma.

Maybe this is what your Therapist is alluding to?

(e.g. Dysfunction from stress messes up the prefrontal cortex (like ADHD), orbitofrontal cortex (like ADHD), cingulate gyrus, insula, amygdala, shrunken hippocampus (memory, recall, learning). This damage to brain growth and function has been shown on functional MRIs (e.g. douglas bremner's studies, IIRC) done on children who have had early, prolonged life trauma or stress.)

Basically, trauma fries the brain, and creates various brain impairments such as learning problems, memory problems, mood problems, emotional problems, hyper/hypoarousal states and autonomic dysfunction, impaired judgement, impaired planning and organizatiin, etc... sounds similar to ADD/ADHD.

Last edited by QueensU_girl; 05-15-07 at 10:19 PM..
Old 05-16-07, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

I guess I misunderstood, and its a new technique of EMDR called brainspotting. I guess i need to ask more specific questions with regard to the whole technique and how it works. Its a new technique developed by David Grand.
Old 12-25-07, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Location: Mountlake Terrace, Washington, USA, World, Solar System
AnalogDog has a spectacular aura aboutAnalogDog has a spectacular aura about
Re: EMDR for ADD

I am or was PTSD from how I was treated as person before I got meds, and began to understand who I am. I was looking into EMDR and my therapist hooked me into hypnotherapy, which was amazing.

After several sessions, my hypnotherapist and I had several discussions about hypnosis and trances, as was I in a trance, or was I pulled out of a trance, and was I being hypnotized by him, or pulled out of being hypnotized by myself.

I had several breakthroughs from this work which never were dealt with during years of therapy. As far as dealing with PTSD, it definatively did more than cognative work ever did.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogDog For This Useful Post:
Mrs Miggins (01-13-16)
Old 03-07-19, 09:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

One of my doc had suggested me emdr. But i don't believe emdr could help to treat adhd so i didn't do it. How can emdr increase dopapine and/adrenaline levels in brain?
I really wonder if there is anyone who tried emdr successfully.
Do you believe in emdr for adhd treatment?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 03-07-19, 09:20 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,041 Times in 7,959 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

My pill lady just brought this up a couple of weeks ago with me. She doesn't know anyone that can do it for me, but she said she'd had it done for her and it did wonders for her.
I don't think it'd work on me as I feel like I'd resist it too much. I had a therapist try to hypnotize me once, and we got nowhere because I was far too closed minded to letting it work.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 03-07-19, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
My pill lady just brought this up a couple of weeks ago with me. She doesn't know anyone that can do it for me, but she said she'd had it done for her and it did wonders for her.
I don't think it'd work on me as I feel like I'd resist it too much. I had a therapist try to hypnotize me once, and we got nowhere because I was far too closed minded to letting it work.
Are hypnosis and emdr similar or same?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-07-19)
Old 03-07-19, 05:16 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,041 Times in 7,959 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
Are hypnosis and emdr similar or same?
I don't actually know to be honest.

I'm just assuming (wrongly?) that they are because to me they sound very similar.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.