ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-08, 02:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

Glad to hear the update, Codykins! Sorry about the experience with the doctor, but you stuck to your guns. You have the summer to figure stuff out, and you should know at least halfway through summer if whatever you are doing is working.

As for the wheat-free, clarify with the naturopath what they meant, as wheat free ususally means gluten free, as the gluten component is the factor that is most to blame. It is also found in other grains. If gluten turns out to be the specific item they want you to remove, educate yourself on the celiac's diet, and visit the gluten-free section of your grocer or the health food store. there are lots of alternative grains, alternative products, and things one can eat (and they are better for you too) than things with flour. I just found some gluten free tortillas at the store, which made me pretty happy! At the same time, you will also be able to reduce the sugar intake, as they both go together.

Good luck, with a little wisdom and a lot of strength, you can do this!
Old 04-30-08, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of

Gluten free has become much more popular lately. Whole foods carries many products that are gluten free, including pancake and waffle mix, as well as many kids cereals that are gluten free. Trader Joe's also has frozen waffles and pancakes that are gluten free. There are various breads availible from Whole foods that are gluten free, but they are very different than regular bread.

In my experience with my ADDer I find that gluten acts like drug (opiate) on her. When she gets a big dose of it, she calms down, when she does not have it for a while, she goes into withdrawls. (agitated, argumentative, etc)

If you end up eliminating gluten, the withdrawl period can last for over a week. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to MGDAD For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (05-02-08)
Old 04-30-08, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

daviansmom is on a distinguished road

Dawn-

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

I just typed a huge follow up on Davian and something happened when I tried to post. Now I'll have to be brief. To sum it up I still like the ADD-vantage. Have noticed that he is a lot more compliant, but still impulsive.

Upped his dosage to two capsules today and will see what happens. He is a lot less emotional now and more compliant, but still a sweet lovable boy.

Take care!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-08, 10:01 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

We do gluten free here. I can't say I have any good recipes.

The wellshire farms corn dogs are good. I'm sure it would be easy to find a corn dog recipe.

I buy the gluten free bread, wizz it up in a processor and add some spices. I dip chunks of chicken into eggs and milk and bake it for nuggetts.

I would reccomend sticking to stuff that is gluten free, but not a gluten free substitute like rice, potatos, corn products... until your kid has a chance to adjust to being gluten free.

You can make chicken and rice soup. I'd make it and freeze it adding the rice seperately. You can make and freeze the rice seperate too. That's so the rice doesn't get mushy.

They are used to their foods tasting a certain way and they will be more likely to accept gluten replacements when their taste buds have forgotten what things used to taste like.

Epicureous.com has a great chocolate macaroon recipe. It doesn't say gluten free, but it is and they are too good!

I make alot of great lunches and put it in our thermos brand thermos from target. It is hard to find a good bread replacement, so I don't make sandwiches. I roll meat up. Make tuna salad. Gluten free spagetti (quinoa brand) and meatballs, fish sticks (Ians gf), corn dogs, hot dogs, chicken nuggetts, rice cakes and peanut butter, chicken veggie fried rice, chicken and mashed potatos, nachos....

We noticed results in a week and a half of going gluten free. My son's teacher did as well. But I know that alot of people experience detox for quite some time and then it gets better.

Going gf was something I never wanted to do, but when you see results the effort is worth it.

It seems overwhelming at first, but like anything you get used to it. Good luck!
Old 05-02-08, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

For now the doctor is not trying to eliminate the gluten protein, which is found in many different grains. He is looking to eliminate a wheat allergy or sensitivity. Apparently "wheat" not the gluten (although it can too) causes what he referred to as "foggy brain" and he cited some studies that have shown a strong relationship to wheat allergies or sensitivities to wheat that have proven to help children with ADD when the wheat is removed and then reintroduced. The reintroduction part will be finding his tolerance level. He explained that if wheat were a problem that often you can build immunities to it but slowly adding it back - just like allergy shots work for things like bee stings, when the treatment is the bee sting juice.

The reason he is focusing on wheat first is we tracked his diet for two weeks prior to meeting and wheat in Cody's diet was HUGE! He lots of pancakes (standard breakfast) he is love sweets, cookies and cakes. He eats lots of things like "ranch dressing" to dip his chicken or chicken nuggets (wrapped in wheat flour) which has wheat in it to thicken. Anyway, I hired him and am going to work with him to begin the regimen.

Flour products? He meant wheat but after I was looking up recipes I asked him about millet flour, rice flour etc as a substitute. His response was "it is still flour!" and he would prefer I not use it. This was all via: email so I don't understand completely that answer but I will try to stay away from all flour products. That was via: email so when we meet again I will ask to explain to me. He did say I could use it providing it has no wheat but would prefer I stay away for now.

Of course he said I should work to eliminate as much sugar and dyes as I can but they are not his concern at the moment – his diet had much less sugar and lots of wheat. Sugar is highly linked to hyperactivity and since Cody doesn’t exhibit hyper-ness he will leave that alone for now. But anything “bad” that I could cut down with will also help overall diet and health. He really dislikes dairy products!!! But he didn’t go there because he explained that would probably not help his problem just his overall health. And being on a NO WHEAT, NO FLOUR diet is hard enough!

Anyway, Gluten protein is ok, providing it doesn’t come from wheat, for now.

Other interesting things; Cody is on prescription vitamins from this pediatrician and has been since he was a baby. The naturopathic told me they are garbage, that the vitamin portion of them is no better than Flintstone vitamins and that the scrip is for the fluoride additive. He put him a better vitamin and I am adding the fluoride in other means – water and mouth rinse.

In stead of ADD-Advantage I am using Bright Spark and Focus, the Naturopathic looked it over and gave his blessing just adjusted the doses (higher) there is really nothing harmful and given Cody’s age and weight he could tolerate and should receive higher doses to be effective in anyway. We are also adding Omega 3&6 thru fish oils (something I wanted) he was totally onboard with it.

Bottom line is I explained that if I take on too much, it will be too hard for me to make it successful. I have to be feudalistic and I have to be successful!! I know our diets are crappy – lots of fast food, buying out, pre-package crap! I don’t get home from work until 7PM and my DH at 5PM, so he is making dinner for Cody and sometimes all of us. Sad, but true! Therefore, I need to pre-make and have things he can easily put together and serve Cody. Hopefully we all eat better going forward. Now that I have started, I am finding that with a little work over the weekend in prep, the week so far wasn’t too bad. Like anything, once we get familiar and in a grove it will get easier. The problem I have is variety that Cody likes. He is your typical 6 year old picky eater and is trying. I explained to him the diet and why and he is trying to adjust – what a great kid!! You really don’t realize how much wheat we eat!! It is in EVERYTHING!! Tonight we are going to try rice pasta – I pray that Cody doesn’t notice the difference. LOL J>>
Old 05-02-08, 10:40 AM

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

We did a lot of research on diets and allergies for my Autistic granddaughter and had her tested twice. Thankfully she's not gluten intolerant. So next we tried eliminating all fruit and juice from her diet, since her daddy has some fruit allergies. And sure enough, we saw some improvement - could have been a coincidence since they progress in stages. So we began adding them back one at a time every week or two, and sure enough we could tell which ones were affecting her.

Anyway, with the gluten intolerance... I learned that many medications are manufactured with gluten. Since your dietician is looking at a wheat allergy rather than gluten intolerance that may not be important for you, but just thought I'd share what I've learned.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Tilly (05-02-08)
Old 05-02-08, 12:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

Thank you, that is good information, I didn't know that Gluten was in medications too.

What I was told was that a wheat allergy or intolerance may not be picked up through testing if it isn't a strong allergy but can still have a negative effect. He discribed it like this;

Imagion a barrel and everytime you ate wheat it got a little full. If you endulge in wheat (as I learned we do) when the barrel fills and overflows the allergy has negative effect. If we see a difference by eliminating wheat and flour then the next step will be to gratually add it back in until we learn at what level the barrel can hold the wheat and tolerate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Codykins For This Useful Post:
Tilly (07-05-08)
Old 05-02-08, 03:04 PM

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I had also read, but our pediatrician sort of glossed over the numbers from the test so I don't know if they may have been borderline enough to be concerned. However, we did go as gluten-free as possible for about two months except the school could not provide a gluten-free diet without paperwork from the doctor so she was still getting gluten in at least some of her school lunches. Coulda sent a lunch I spose, but the changes at home didn't seem to make any change at all so we looked for other things to try. I'm just grateful we didn't have to try a casein free diet.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-02-08, 06:20 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

I have found my son can now tolerate a little gluten.

I've tested it many times and we have been pretty much gf for a year now.

The first time I removed it for two weeks. I mistakenly told my son he could try the organic crackers at the store. It was too late before I realized what I had done. It was only about 10 minutes before he started running all over the place, not listening and was extremely hyper. He had not been that bad in a long time. My mouth dropped he was so bad. And for my son his reactions to food start minutes after he eats it.

I have found my son has an extra bad reaction when we remove something and then reintroduce it at least initially.

What you are saying makes total sense to me, because he does seem to be tolerating a little bit of the foods he once would climb a wall after having.

We were camping last week and he ate gluten throughout the week. Being camping it wasn't as noticable. We were outside hiking etc. but when we got home and he needed to do school work and follow more directions it was very noticable. It lasted a few days and now I think he is back on track.

So I've pretty much concluded that he won't have gluten during the week, but now he can tolerate a pancake or some pizza on the weekends. Which is really great because in the beginning he had no tolerance and I had to make gf pizza to bring to pizza parties. Which was a pain and he didn't like the gf pizza. Of course everyone else liked the gf pizza.

I made homemade crust, but the frozen gf pizza is really yummy too.

I guess I'm saying that I think it's true about building a tolerance.

Codykins, did your doctor reccomend an alternative to dairy products?
Old 05-02-08, 07:27 PM

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

When my son was first challenged on wheat, he presented a lot like celiac's, so I caught it right away. I also nursed him strictly until 13 months of age, and added foods in every two weeks, which gave him the best shot at having a strong immune system. Wheat was removed from his diet, which the doctors said would give him the best chance of being able to "tolerate" it later. So, later in toddlerhood, because some family members could not longer read labels, he was started again on wheat, and did okay.
Old 05-06-08, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

According to the Naturopathic Doctor these sensitivity, like wheat and gluten if added in slow... ly have a good chance of building immunities. Like I said, just like doctors injecting the allergens in order to build immunities.
>>
As for dairy free? My Naturopathic hates dairy – milk mainly. He believes 90% of humans have allergies to it. He explained that symptoms as mild are mucus in the throat from milk is an allergic reaction.>>
>>
Although he did not take Cody off dairy he was hoping we would try and curve it for optimum health.>>
> >
Eggs are fine, we can use them as much as we like. Use non-dairy ice-cream, we just bought Soy, the brand “Simply Delicious” and Cody loves it. Of course for a Milk substitute you have little choice except for Soy – no one in my house will touch it. Fortunately Cody is not a Milk drinker. Where that worried me before, now I am thankful. He recommends HARD CHEESES, not soft. I can’t remember if there were any other specifics.>>
>>
The NP doctor says that a good vitamin, cheeses and soy will provide plenty of nutritional value that Milk doesn’t have, there really is very little and all decent vitamins covers the vitamin D, which apparently Milk that is not “whole” doesn’t provide much vitamin D anyway. And most of us drink 2%, 1% or skim anyway.
Old 05-08-08, 11:38 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Milk is a natural source of 15 essential nutrients. In addition, it is fortifed with vitamin D. Whether it is skim, 1%, 2% or homogenized, chocolate or powdered, milk provides basically the same amount of vitamins and minerals. As well, milk is 90% water, making it an effective thirst quencher.

Phaedrus

Old 05-08-08, 11:47 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Here’s a brief look at what each glass of milk contains:

PROTEINS

Contribute to the building and repairing of BODY TISSUES, including bones. Help build ANTIBODIES that fight infections.
POTASSIUM

Essential for maintaining your body's vital fluid balance. Important for the proper functioning of nerves and muscles.
PANTOTHENIC ACID

Helps turn carbohydrates and fat into ENERGY your body can use.
VITAMIN A

Promotes healthy SKIN, EYES and NIGHT VISION. Essential for healthy BONES and TEETH.
FOLIC ACID

Participates in the formation of RED BLOOD CELLS and of GENETIC material for cells.
VITAMIN D

Maximizes CALCIUM and PHOSPHORUS absorption upon which strong BONES and healthy
TEETH depend.
Note: At present, VITAMIN D is added to milk only, although certain brands of yogourt are now made from fortified milk and thereby provide vitamin D.
CALCIUM

Necessary for strong healthy BONES and TEETH. Contributes to HEART beat, MUSCLE contraction, proper NERVE function, and normal BLOOD clotting.
THIAMIN

Turns carbohydrates into ENERGY. Maintains a healthy APPETITE and helps normal GROWTH.
MAGNESIUM

Contributes to the health of BONES and TEETH; helps convert food into ENERGY, and builds
body tissue.
RIBOFLAVIN

Promotes healthy SKIN, EYES and NERVES. HELPS CONVERT FOOD INTO ENERGY.
PHOSPHORUS

Helps build strong healthy BONES and TEETH, and contributes to the overall proper functioning
of your body.
NIACIN

Essential for GROWTH and DEVELOPMENT, and for a healthy NERVOUS SYSTEM and
DIGESTIVE TRACT.
ZINC

Converts food into ENERGY. Plays an important role in tissue repair and growth.
VITAMIN B6

Helps PROTEIN build BODY TISSUE. Contributes to the production of red blood cells and ANTIBODIES to fight infections.
VITAMIN B12

Contributes to the health of RED BLOOD CELLS and to the maintenance of a healthy NERVOUS SYSTEM and DIGESTIVE TRACT.
SELENIUM

Acts like an antioxidant, thereby contributing to the protection of the cells. Contributes to the proper functioning of the immune system and is essential to the metabolism of thyroid gland.
PROTEINS

Contribute to the building and repairing of BODY TISSUES, including bones. Help build ANTIBODIES that fight infections.

POTASSIUM

Essential for maintaining your body's vital fluid balance. Important for the proper functioning of nerves and muscles.

PANTOTHENIC ACID

Helps turn carbohydrates and fat into ENERGY your body can use.

VITAMIN A

Promotes healthy SKIN, EYES and NIGHT VISION. Essential for healthy BONES and TEETH.

FOLIC ACID

Participates in the formation of RED BLOOD CELLS and of GENETIC material for cells.

VITAMIN D

Maximizes CALCIUM and PHOSPHORUS absorption upon which strong BONES and healthy
TEETH depend.
Note: At present, VITAMIN D is added to milk only, although certain brands of yogourt are now made from fortified milk and thereby provide vitamin D.

CALCIUM

Necessary for strong healthy BONES and TEETH. Contributes to HEART beat, MUSCLE contraction, proper NERVE function, and normal BLOOD clotting.

THIAMIN

Turns carbohydrates into ENERGY. Maintains a healthy APPETITE and helps normal GROWTH.

MAGNESIUM

Contributes to the health of BONES and TEETH; helps convert food into ENERGY, and builds
body tissue.

RIBOFLAVIN

Promotes healthy SKIN, EYES and NERVES. HELPS CONVERT FOOD INTO ENERGY.

PHOSPHORUS

Helps build strong healthy BONES and TEETH, and contributes to the overall proper functioning
of your body.

NIACIN

Essential for GROWTH and DEVELOPMENT, and for a healthy NERVOUS SYSTEM and
DIGESTIVE TRACT.

ZINC

Converts food into ENERGY. Plays an important role in tissue repair and growth.

VITAMIN B6

Helps PROTEIN build BODY TISSUE. Contributes to the production of red blood cells and ANTIBODIES to fight infections.

VITAMIN B12

Contributes to the health of RED BLOOD CELLS and to the maintenance of a healthy NERVOUS SYSTEM and DIGESTIVE TRACT.

SELENIUM

Acts like an antioxidant, thereby contributing to the protection of the cells. Contributes to the proper functioning of the immune system and is essential to the metabolism of thyroid gland.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (05-11-08)
Old 05-08-08, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Well I don't claim to be a Milk conesore, in fact I knowing about it really. All I know and tried to convey in my layman’s terms was what the Naturopathic Doctor's feeling was towards milk. Milk is only fortified with vitamin D, that was my point actually – you can get just as much vitamin D in Sunny Delight as you can in Milk.

Since my son never drank milk I did some research to insure he was getting supplemented properly ever since he was weaned off my breasts.

What I found was this, there is big difference in the nutrient vitamin A in whole milk and skimmed milk. When the fat is removed, it still retains most of its nutrients but some are lessoned quite a bit. Removing fat works the opposite with calcium. In fact, skimmed cow's milk contains slightly more calcium than full-fat milk because calcium is found in the watery part, not the creamy part.

Milk has been linked to a number of health conditions as my NP was quick to point out. The nutrianial world seems to believe that a lot it is allergy and the over exposure of homone received by milk.

One piece of research says women who have more than 90g of fat a day from sources such as full cream milk are at an increased risk of breast cancer. This could also explain low rates of breast cancer - they prefer soya milk.

Milk is also considered a trigger for eczema.

Anecdotal evidence links drinking milk to increased phlegm production. It therefore should be avoided by those with respiratory conditions such as asthma. Which could very well be allergy related.

Another study linked high consumption of full-fat milk to increased risk of coronary heart disease in women.

Meanwhile, a study in Finland has suggested that children may be vulnerable to insulin dependent diabetes later in life after exposure to cow's milk - as opposed to breast milk - while very young.

Milk needs to be avoided by those who have lactose intolerance - a deficiency in the body of the enzyme lactose which is needed to break down and digest dairy products.

I’m not dissing Milk! I love Milk and drink serveral glass myself everyday - but, it has had its bad press and my NP isn’t crazy about me using it with Cody. That was my only point.
Old 05-08-08, 02:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I thought I would comment on this from the Naturopatic perspective.

My NP doctor did not link the use or non use of milk to Cody's ADHA at all. In his efforts for us to support a well rounded diet he explained his feeling to Milk and health issues.

As for the ADHA, and ADHD diet, it is the wheat, flour that makes the brain "cloudy" as he put it. So the elimination in combination with some increased supplements that are our focus for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Codykins For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-08-08)