ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-06-09, 04:40 PM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
If I say I only want generic drugs, due to financial concerns, can I avoid strattera?

Strattera is only available non-generically. Meaning its expensive even on insurance. I want cheap meds. Do you think this is a valid argument to avoid being put on it?
Old 07-06-09, 05:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Re: If I say I only want generic drugs, due to financial concerns, can I avoid stratt

Why don't you just say that you don't want strattera ?

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 07-07-09, 09:13 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
Re: If I say I only want generic drugs, due to financial concerns, can I avoid stratt

Well I don't want him to think I'm a stimulant seeker... But I am a young professional, not some bum off the street.

I just hear stories you know?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 10:50 AM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

I would wait and see what your doctor recommends. You might be surprised. Have you given your doc any reason to believe you are a stimulant seeker? My doc started me out on Adderall and then switched me to Ritalin. We never even discussed Strattera. If your doc does suggest strattera then I might bring up the cost issue.
Old 07-08-09, 12:41 PM
Contributor

ecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyum View Post
I would wait and see what your doctor recommends. You might be surprised. Have you given your doc any reason to believe you are a stimulant seeker? My doc started me out on Adderall and then switched me to Ritalin. We never even discussed Strattera. If your doc does suggest strattera then I might bring up the cost issue.
I agree, i'd wait and see what he recommends. My doc broke down drugs used to treat ADD/ADHD with me, what to expect, how it works, and his opinion on it. He said "you can start first with straterra if you choose, but would recommend other time tested and proven reliable drugs, then if those fail we can try other less used treatment options." Of the 40 or so patients overall that he treats tried it for 2 months, only 2 reported any benefits felt whatsoever the drug did in managing symptoms,

In my opinion based off experiences I read and hear of, it's not anywhere near an established, proven effective drug for treatment. Plain and simple

If need be - bring up 2 points:
Cost (stims = generic, cheaper)
Effectiveness (stims = used decades with countless placebo controlled studies on effectiveness, majority of cases respond very well to this treatment)

If he's focused on abuse risk of stimulants, then he probably doesn't treat too many add/adhd cases and only hears the stories. Most people actually DONT abuse their meds, believe it or not (im sure you may have already known, some doctors are stubborn on their beliefs regarding mental health and "addictive medicines" used for treatments today)
Old 07-08-09, 03:10 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

It's best not to go to a doctor with a specific drug in mind. Stimulants are the first-line treatment for ADHD, and there are many reasons not to use Strattera. If your doctor tries to put you on Strattera first, here are some objections:

1. The cost.

2. The possibility of liver damage. It's not an extremely dangerous drug, but it is more dangerous than stimulants and also has more potential interactions because it is actually a failed atypical antidepressant.

3. The horrible side effects.

4. The sheer quantity of time people have to invest in it. Some of us are students, for God's sake.

If your doctor insists, you have the right to object. Strattera has a horrible reputation and you have the right to protect yourself. If your doctor tries to put you on Wellbutrin, well, that isn't even an ADHD medication at all.

These are last-resort drugs. As long as you don't have a drug history, and you don't go in asking for a specific drug (i.e Dexedrine), you will probably not be viewed as a drug seeker. So take things slow and don't come across as defensive.

Dx: ADHD-PI (possible misdiagnosis), Anxiety Disorder NOS.

Rx: Just ran out.