ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 07-23-10, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 963 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Ad(h)d stress

AD(H)D STRESS.
Stress and the way we deal with stress.
The fustrations of having AD(H)D,
and effects of constant stress.

Could people who have AD(H)D have to much stress?
Making dealing with AD(H)D worse.
AD(H)D Stress is like a constant slow drip,
That can't be stopped.
Topic to topic,
Adjusting and Adjusting.
What effects does AD(H)D Stress have on our AD(H)D?

We can't Cure AD(H)D.
But I think if we study this topic some parts of having AD(H)D may become more peacefull.

Any ideas, evidense,opinions welcome.
Geronimoo
APSJ (07-27-10)
Old 07-25-10, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future
Re: Ad(h)d stress

I have two different types of stress in my life - the stuff that's just part of life for everyone and the things caused specifically by adhd. Stress definitely led to me seeking my diagnosis.

Specifically, the stress of being unable to provide consistency and organization for my recently diagnosed 12 year old. He was depressed in grade 2, we had in tested in grade 3 - results gifted and major ld in written expression, anxiety and depression continued through until grade 6, had him retested - results IQ dropped 10 points, still writes at a grade 2 level, neuropsychologist didn't think he had adhd, school failed him and wants him to repeat grade 6, psychiatrist thought he might have adhd and started a trial of dex.

He won't continue seeing the psychiatrist so we're now dealing with our new gp. The gp is not used to adjusting the meds usually just prescribes what the pdocs say, so I have real concerns about getting effective dosing. When I mentioned adult adhd his response was - but you have a university degree - sigh. Luckily that's not an issue because I see a pdoc. But I also have problems communicating with our gp, our old gp (who moved) and my pdoc are personal friends as well and they know I tend to understate problems and issues and cover-up really well. I get the impression that our new gp thinks I exaggerate.

I'm 48 and have been lucky and have a good life.

But my mother died 4 months ago and I had no idea until she was gone how much she was doing for us.

Those are two things that are part of life for lots of people but they really destroyed my ability to cope. When I phoned my pdoc for an appointment, he assumed it was about depression and my mom. I had been reading about adult adhd though and after a few appointments and lots of questions he agreed.

So I have gone from coping with undiagnosed adhd all my life to being totally overwhelmed by everything.

Then there's the stress generated by having adhd.

I want to do too many things all the time. I can tell myself to simplify and organize all I want and it works sometimes for awhile. But I really get a rush about planning and starting new things - the more complicated the better. It's really what gives me the most pleasure in life until it gets boring and I have to deal with the reality of whatever I have created or worse yet not deal with it. Then I get stressed and need to do it all over again to feel good again. It's a vicious circle.

Didn't mean to ramble on in so much detail, but your post really struck a chord with me. I'm most effective when I'm stressed and have the adrenaline pumping but then it stops or is too much and I sink. It's not a healthy way to live all the time and I'm feeling my age and wish I could just stop, relax and enjoy my life.
Old 07-25-10, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angora View Post
I have two different types of stress in my life - the stuff that's just part of life for everyone and the things caused specifically by adhd. Stress definitely led to me seeking my diagnosis.

Specifically, the stress of being unable to provide consistency and organization for my recently diagnosed 12 year old. He was depressed in grade 2, we had in tested in grade 3 - results gifted and major ld in written expression, anxiety and depression continued through until grade 6, had him retested - results IQ dropped 10 points, still writes at a grade 2 level, neuropsychologist didn't think he had adhd, school failed him and wants him to repeat grade 6, psychiatrist thought he might have adhd and started a trial of dex.

He won't continue seeing the psychiatrist so we're now dealing with our new gp. The gp is not used to adjusting the meds usually just prescribes what the pdocs say, so I have real concerns about getting effective dosing. When I mentioned adult adhd his response was - but you have a university degree - sigh. Luckily that's not an issue because I see a pdoc. But I also have problems communicating with our gp, our old gp (who moved) and my pdoc are personal friends as well and they know I tend to understate problems and issues and cover-up really well. I get the impression that our new gp thinks I exaggerate.

But my mother died 4 months ago and I had no idea until she was gone how much she was doing for us.

Those are two things that are part of life for lots of people but they really destroyed my ability to cope. When I phoned my pdoc for an appointment, he assumed it was about depression and my mom. I had been reading about adult adhd though and after a few appointments and lots of questions he agreed.

So I have gone from coping with undiagnosed adhd all my life to being totally overwhelmed by everything.

I want to do too many things all the time. I can tell myself to simplify and organize all I want and it works sometimes for awhile. But I really get a rush about planning and starting new things - the more complicated the better. It's really what gives me the most pleasure in life until it gets boring and I have to deal with the reality of whatever I have created or worse yet not deal with it. Then I get stressed and need to do it all over again to feel good again. It's a vicious circle.

Didn't mean to ramble on in so much detail, but your post really struck a chord with me. I'm most effective when I'm stressed and have the adrenaline pumping but then it stops or is too much and I sink. It's not a healthy way to live all the time and I'm feeling my age and wish I could just stop, relax and enjoy my life.
Thanks
We need to learn to slow down and keep things simple.
But what does this exactly mean?
Hyper-focus?
When people with AD(H)D have the ablitiy to focus on a subject?
When people with AD(H)D are interupted ,
while hyper-focusing.
Is very stress ful to be interupted.
I wonder Why?

I must admit that when I'm Hyper Focusing,
I'm very happy, almost blissfully.

Why the sudden change "in stress" when interupted while Hyper-Focusing.

Before I started taking medication,
I would be the easiest going guy almost, most of the time.
But would loose it when interupted,
Like I was caught of guard while hyperfocusing.

On Guard.
Off Guard
Does constantly struggling with symptoms of AD(H)D,
Overdrive the Adrenal Glands,
When trying to keep pace with Non-AD(H)D life?

G
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-10, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyHead View Post
Thanks
We need to learn to slow down and keep things simple.

Something I seem to be incapable of doing.

But what does this exactly mean?
Hyper-focus?

Not for me, much happier when I can think freely and go off on what ever tangent I feel like following.

while hyper-focusing.
I wonder Why?

We probably have different definitions of hyperfocus. For me it's something I have to work at getting in the "zone" for. Interruptions cause stress for me because it was so much work for me to get there to begin with.

If I get interrupted when I'm doing something I like or want to do, rather than something I need to do, I'm not so bothered. It may send me off in another direction but that's usually ok.

Can you give me a specific example?

Why the sudden change "in stress" when interupted while Hyper-Focusing.

Before I started taking medication,
I would be the easiest going guy almost, most of the time.
But would loose it when interupted,
Like I was caught of guard while hyperfocusing.

On Guard.
Off Guard
Does constantly struggling with symptoms of AD(H)D,
Overdrive the Adrenal Glands,
When trying to keep pace with Non-AD(H)D life?

Is it the trying to keep pace with non-adhd or is it more just the adhd. Think it's both for me.

The real life stuff that everyone hates to deal with to one degree or another, the why don't you just do it stuff - definite stress - wish I could just do it and relieve the stress.

The adhd, never relaxing, never stopping, starting something else, thinking too much - don't think it used to bother me - I kind of enjoyed it and it's who I am- now it's making me tired and I don't have time for it and I want it to go away for awhile.

G
Wanting to be a good parent and being responsible for two young lives is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. When it was just me or my husband and me, the adhd wasn't as big a deal. We have worked for ourselves for a long time and had the flexibility to go 24/7 when we felt like it or not. The real life stuff - bills, taxes, cleaning, etc - still hated doing them but they got done or I paid someone to do them. They didn't overwhelm or stress me particularly.

Maybe it's because having kids has made the real life stuff my focus 24/7. Be consistent, provide structure, be organized, make sure you reward behavior or provide consequences at the point of performance, regular mealtimes, regular bedtimes, homework, clean clothes, haircuts.

I didn't even know where the boys got their hair cut - it was something they did with Grandmother. Still desperately trying to fill the gaps left when she died and be a grown-up, responsible parent.

But need to relax and enjoy the boys - stop allowing stress to interfere - not sure how to get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-26-10, 03:31 AM

Quote:
not sure how to get there.
Since trying to figure out stress.
I've realized that I really underestimate stress.
This is where I'm at know.
And it helps to be conscious of stress around me.
Instead of it subconsciously knawing at me.

Deep Breaths help.
When I think about it.
Medication is a must for me at this time in my life.
Last time i took 4 days of the medication,
The issues I'm learning about stress helped me without the medication.
More this time.
G
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-26-10, 03:34 AM

Thanked 27,493 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I really understand this, actually I've started a similar thread ("living with anxiety") sorry at work no time to figure out how to put in the link!
*gets back to work*
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-26-10, 03:57 PM

Quote:
while hyper-focusing.
I wonder Why?

We probably have different definitions of hyperfocus. For me it's something I have to work at getting in the "zone" for. Interruptions cause stress for me because it was so much work for me to get there to begin with.

If I get interrupted when I'm doing something I like or want to do, rather than something I need to do, I'm not so bothered. It may send me off in another direction but that's usually ok.
Good point on the different definition.

I've assumed that hyperfocus is the "zone".

And I also think your insight about how much work it takes to get in to "the zone" is very important.
Now that you brought it up.
Thanks.
When I fabricate stone.
The tables must be parallel to the walls in the shop.
I must have all my tools in the right place.
I need to have a clean floor.
And whole bunch of more....

When working with other people in the same shop.
I have this constant stress for trying to keep things in order.
So I can enjoy the "zone"

Quote:

Can you give me a specific example?
Well if the atmosphere is right and I get to keep things my way.
I become like a machine.
Productivity and Quality of my product gives me confidence.
The feeling of accomplishment.

And when I take medication.
I still enjoy the "zone".
But I also feel the extra accomplishment of finishing what I started.
And also am able to get farther away from the "zone" without getting fustrated.
And deal better when I can't get my way.

I think your farm enviroment,
Working for your self.
Definitely would have a possitive impact on you daily AD(H)D stress.
Although the "other" stresses that all people deal with on a daily bases may be the same.

Could you imagine your AD(H)D stress if you lived in a big city,
Needed to travel 3 hours a day for work.
Working a job, and for people who think AD(H)D is an excuse.
And not real.
Basically no control of your work enviroment.

I think that a AD(H)D Farm where people go to work and vacation would be awesome.

Angora, I would say that the way your life has been described by you.
That you are a functioning AD(H)D.
You have developed your own ways to get by.
The is alot of people like this on ADDF.
Thanks for the insight.

G
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-27-10, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Rereading the post.
I felt many similarities.
I love ADDF.
There is a common theme of similarities between members.
That can't be denied.
People who have never met in person.
Treatments vary but AD(H)D personalities are still the same.

Yes, AD(H)D is real.
Fact.

I am wondering if you live close to Vancouver.

I would like to meet your Familly.

I failed grade two.

"Failed"

These words need to be illiminated from our AD(H)D Vocabulary and Treatment.

I'm a bit angery after rereading your post.

I've been wanting to reply to a thread who asked for advice, from us members.
To help teach her AD(H)D students.

I have been unable to bring my thoughts to reality.
In words.

But maybe the key to AD(H)D treatment in school is to have an AD(H)D teacher.

I'm a bit angry.
I think there is lots of ways to help AD(H)D.

The word "School" , sets of AD(H)D Anxiety Attack in me.

Quote:
Didn't mean to ramble on in so much detail,
Detail Rambling is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

G
doiadhd (07-27-10), JollyBadger (07-29-10)
Old 07-27-10, 02:57 PM

Does anybody have insight into the words?

Stress.

Anxiety.

Or this sentence.

AD(H)D Stress causes AD(H)D Anxiety.
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-27-10, 02:59 PM

Stress,

Depression,

AD(H)D Stress causes AD(H)D Depression.
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-27-10, 03:02 PM

AD(H)D Stress is responce to pressure from outside world.

Could AD(H)D Stress be also responce to pressure from our own internal world?

Studing the topics, (medicated)
I've been able to take my emotion and use the energy from that emotion in a usefull way.

Example, Some one broke a promise to pay me, owed money.
And I was angry.
Instead of holding the anger.
I consciously did something else physical and "burned off" that pressure that in the past,
That would have "frooze" or "stuck" my thinking.
Or depressed me.

I seemed to better reconize what issues where coming by studing the topics of Stress.

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-27-10 at 03:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-27-10, 05:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Good point on the different definition.

I've assumed that hyperfocus is the "zone".

And I also think your insight about how much work it takes to get in to "the zone" is very important.
Now that you brought it up.
Thanks.
When I fabricate stone.
The tables must be parallel to the walls in the shop.
I must have all my tools in the right place.
I need to have a clean floor.
And whole bunch of more....

When working with other people in the same shop.
I have this constant stress for trying to keep things in order.
So I can enjoy the "zone"

Funny, I like working with people but I don't get much done. If I really have to produce I have to be alone.

Well if the atmosphere is right and I get to keep things my way.
I become like a machine.
Productivity and Quality of my product gives me confidence.
The feeling of accomplishment.

And when I take medication.
I still enjoy the "zone".
But I also feel the extra accomplishment of finishing what I started.
And also am able to get farther away from the "zone" without getting fustrated.
And deal better when I can't get my way.

I think your farm enviroment,
Working for your self.
Definitely would have a possitive impact on you daily AD(H)D stress.
Although the "other" stresses that all people deal with on a daily bases may be the same.

Could you imagine your AD(H)D stress if you lived in a big city,
Needed to travel 3 hours a day for work.
Working a job, and for people who think AD(H)D is an excuse.
And not real.
Basically no control of your work enviroment.

I couldn't do it. We always lived in the inner city. Now I can't stand being in a city because of the constant noise and light.

I think that a AD(H)D Farm where people go to work and vacation would be awesome.

Angora, I would say that the way your life has been described by you.
That you are a functioning AD(H)D.
You have developed your own ways to get by.
The is alot of people like this on ADDF.
Thanks for the insight.

G
Unfortunately, I realized yesterday that I am in the middle of a major depressive episode - so it's not so great after all.
The Following User Says Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-27-10, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Stress,

Depression,

AD(H)D Stress causes AD(H)D Depression.
Now that finally recognize that I'm depressed the stress is gone. I know I can't do much right now, I need time to heal.

I find it strange that I can accept that when it comes to depression and most of society accepts it too.

But with adhd, I assume I should be able to do it all and if I would just try harder I could.

I think the stress is both external and internal but I place more demands on myself than I am capable of fulfilling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-27-10), stef (07-28-10)
Old 07-27-10, 06:19 PM

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

Hi FH and Angora,

I just stumbled onto this thread and read mostly the entire thing.

I had never thought about adhd stress.

For me, when I am focused on something and I am interrupted it is almost like getting hit with something in terms of the effect it has on me...startling. For one thing, you can not simply talk to me in a normal tone. Calling my name out has no effect. A person has to use a loud tone or physically touch me to get my attention. Then I am jarred mentally and it really annoys me badly.

I have been concerned lately with my tendancy to snap at my children when I am stressed. I feel this is abusive and forces them to walk on eggshells so to speak. That is not what I want for them in our home. I am endeavoring to be emotionally responsible when I am pressured and I think this may be a key to finding that.

I am in the middle of something right now FH, I need to get back to it, however, I am going to think about this some and post more later.

Thanks for the wonderful thread,

Song
angora (07-29-10), doiadhd (07-27-10)
Old 07-27-10, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I realized yesterday that I am in the middle of a major depressive episode - so it's not so great after all.
Could I ask if the depressive episode is a AD(H)D Depression?

Makes me wonder.!

The differences between AD(H)D Anxiety and AD(H)D Depression related to AD(H)D Stress.
angora (07-30-10), doiadhd (07-27-10)