ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Hangout
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Hangout A place for teens with AD/HD hangout and talk about what's on their minds.

Old 10-02-13, 07:27 AM

BatBowey is on a distinguished road
Re: Teen Roll Call!

Hey all!

I'm Martin, 16 years old (turning 17 in feburary weeeh!), live in Denmark near Odense, Diagnosed with ADHD about 2 weeks ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to BatBowey For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-02-13)
Old 11-11-13, 12:03 PM

FlandersPoppy is on a distinguished road

Hi

My name is Eva, I'm from Belgium. I'll be 20 at the end of the month.
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 7 or 8. Started taking medication at 9, still do, but not so much anymore.
Old 11-12-13, 03:21 AM

jaxaal is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Teen Roll Call!

Jake, 17, from Sydney, Australia

Have predominantly inattentive, with a tinge of impulsive

Started final grade in highschool a month ago

Always been a smart kid when concentration was irrelevant and natural intelligence was the main predictor of performance, as opposed to concentration and retention of important information (pre 9th grade). I'd get the highest marks in my year up until 9th grade, then i'd started to slip back when it was becoming harder and harder to catch up from not listening or concentrating in class.

It's so frustrating - the lack of awareness there is of inattentive types of ADHD. Being diagnosed so late - only around a month ago due only to my persistence with my parents (they didn't believe me but knew I was smart and knew I 'tried' to study heaps, but was getting **** poor results) is ****** because there's a lot of things I needed to know from those years to do well in my final exams next year. So we went to the doc, he needed proof from teachers that the symptoms were legit, he got it, then boom I have it.

What sucks most is since I started getting below-average results, and teachers noticed I don't appear to give a **** about school and don't seem to care what I achieve (which is probably the falsest statement they could make about me), they started to comment on it and say I don't try, I'm lazy, they would imply I was stupid and talk down to me in a nice voice in front of the class so I could understand things better, and still do this. This means I have a reputation around the school (also slightly due to my impulsiveness), and a lot of teachers don't like me, which is ******** because I don't like blaming ADHD for everything but it's not an excuse, it's a condition.

I'd set aside so much time for study, and didn't let myself out of the house during this time, but instead would be extremely distracted and kick back on facebook or researching whatever my interest was at the time. Even the night before an assessment was due, I'd stay up to do it, but i would do a pretty bad job.

I, myself, hated not being able to concentrate, and believing I severely lacked discipline and motivation for success, and was dumb.

I can't get that time back, but I'm going to **** everyone else in the *** (metaphorically I think would be best) by getting top marks in everything, now that I have medication (ritalin, which isn't great but seeing doc in 2 days about switching to dex), and showing the prejudiced teachers that I'm probably more intelligent than them, I was just at a disadvantage before

I don't want to tell teachers i've been diagnosed so they can see my improvement without thinking it's due to medication giving me an advantage and not just making my brain (almost) work normally, but I do because I want to justify my behaviour and reputation in the past.

It's funny, I've noticed so many undiagnosed ADHDers are perceived as unintelligent, but are actually highly intelligent and when treated, **** everyone in the ***

IMO, Einstein had ADHD.

Last edited by sarek; 11-20-13 at 03:14 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaxaal For This Useful Post:
Braink37 (03-25-14), Daydreamin22 (11-18-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 09:30 PM

PT Boat is on a distinguished road

Hey. I'm Huw from Boston MA. I was diagnosed with ADD back in the 7th grade, i'm currently a 9th grader. I really started noticing the effects it was having 6th grade, where my highest grade was a b- in history. I'm currently on concerta, and I haven't been having too many issues since then.
The Following User Says Thank You to PT Boat For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-19-13)
Old 12-01-13, 10:01 PM

freakofnature04 is on a distinguished road

Hi
Mi nombre es Aleah although in all honesty I'd prefer to be called Allie
I'm thirteen but my bday is soon... I live in FL and I haven't been diagnosed with ADD and still racking up the nerves to ask my parents... hopefully before midterms.
Old 12-18-13, 01:14 AM
Jr Member

kayfishandchips is on a distinguished road

I'm Alex from Ortonville Michigan, i am 17 and have been diagnosed with adhd since I was 7-8. (don't remember exactly when it was somewhere around there lol)
Old 12-20-13, 08:50 AM

Camotexanchica1 is on a distinguished road

The names margaret from rockdale texasI'm 18 been diagnosed with both ADHD and add since I was around 6-7
Old 12-27-13, 02:08 PM

Michio is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm "Michio," I'm a 20 year-old College Freshman who got diagnosed with ADHD about a month and a half ago. I live in NJ with my folks over breaks but I go to Fordham University in New York most of the time.
Old 01-15-14, 11:25 PM

Mustybacon is on a distinguished road

Tony 15 Los Angeles
Old 01-16-14, 11:13 AM
Jr Member

Alex_Huntington is on a distinguished road

Stephen, 18 years old, from OnnecticutADD and anxiety disorder, but greatly helped by 30mg Vyvanse and 100mg Zoloft.

"Reality is just a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."
Old 01-19-14, 11:04 PM
Jr Member

slkrame is on a distinguished road

Spencer 19, ADHD Combined Type. Meaning I display all the types of ADHD on different days depending.
Old 01-29-14, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Zephyranthes is just really niceZephyranthes is just really niceZephyranthes is just really niceZephyranthes is just really nice

Hey, Alex from Miami, 16 years old. Diagnosed with ADD since I was about 6 or 8.
Old 03-28-14, 12:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxaal View Post
Jake, 17, from Sydney, Australia

Have predominantly inattentive, with a tinge of impulsive
I was an undiagnosed ADHD Inattentive all throughout my school years. It was tough. I was thought of as dumb and lazy and just not trying hard enough, though I did cram for hours and still end up with a poor grade.

Hope your medication helps you finish high school. It really does make it so much easier to learn.

Einstein could have had ADHD, Asperger's - anything really. I think I recall reading that he only did the work that mattered to him. Sounds a bit like my experience in the classroom.

By the way, I'm 28 but between 12-14 at heart. I'm trying to write my own YA fiction because given my ADHD and the lack of medication, it's all I can manage.
Old 06-01-14, 09:50 PM

ChemicalAntics is on a distinguished road

Gerard, 15, Iowa, and I'm, I have extreme ADHD to the point of a mild case of autism/aspergers
Old 06-08-14, 10:40 PM

Geminixo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Teen Roll Call!

I'm 15 and I'll be finishing Freshman year of high school in one week! Since I don't feel completely comfortable sharing my name, my name will be Gemini or Geminixo. I live in New Jersey and I've been struggling with ADHD since I was 8. I've gone through medication after medication.. and it really sucks.

Btw, I'm a girl.