ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-25-10, 03:19 PM

JayManADD is on a distinguished road
Pink(is nuts) Orange (Is good)

I have used both Cor Pink and Barr Orange.. Why is the Barr brand so much smoother and so much better? I switched to the pink because the Walgreens was right down the road from me so I figured I would save time and go there. Walgreens carry the Cor Pink I feel nuts on these, I get real emotional, and go from one extreme to the next... My Girlfriend hates being around me when I am like this. On the Barr Orange I am just fine, in fact I'm better with none of the headaches and madness the Pink Pills are causing. I heard the fillers are different in each brand. Why are the pink on the market? they have a problem making the pill? not knowing what they are doing? whats the deal?
The Following User Says Thank You to JayManADD For This Useful Post:
Killface1981 (08-04-10)
Old 07-31-10, 03:52 AM

sauer_kraut is on a distinguished road
Re: Pink(is nuts) Orange (Is good)

Walgreens is one place to avoid if you do not want Core Pharma brand. They carry nothing but. Only once or twice have they actually thrown me a bottle of the orange stuff and I was not too thrilled. You can tell I like Core better. I have tried both and given Barr more than a few tries and find that I prefer the Core Pharma. Just my preference. There have been many questions regarding the pharmaceutical companies who have the rights to produce and distribute Adderall. Mostly it comes down to personal preference. If you can get Barr Orange from a place, keep going there and ask them beforehand if they have it in stock before you hand over the script. Surprises are not fun when you have to pretty much take what they hand over to you... Much luck =)
Old 08-04-10, 05:19 AM

JayManADD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauer_kraut View Post
Walgreens is one place to avoid if you do not want Core Pharma brand. They carry nothing but. Only once or twice have they actually thrown me a bottle of the orange stuff and I was not too thrilled. You can tell I like Core better. I have tried both and given Barr more than a few tries and find that I prefer the Core Pharma. Just my preference. There have been many questions regarding the pharmaceutical companies who have the rights to produce and distribute Adderall. Mostly it comes down to personal preference. If you can get Barr Orange from a place, keep going there and ask them beforehand if they have it in stock before you hand over the script. Surprises are not fun when you have to pretty much take what they hand over to you... Much luck =)
I guess everybody is different. I'm back on my Barr (orange) and happy about it. The Barr to me is so much smoother rarely getting headaches just a better experience for me, I can concentrate well. The Cor (pink) made me at times feel like a madman, very mean and sometimes out of touch, I would get headaches often and wasn't real pleasant to be around. No clue why these two are so different for me... I for the first time got the Barr brand and it worked very well, my next prescription filled I went to Walgreens because Wal-mart was out of stock of the Barr and I ended up with the Cor brand and didn't think anything of it.. I hated the Cor, when my prescription ran out back on Barr I went and it worked well and I stayed on Barr for about 8 months... Last month Wal-mart was out of the damn Barr again so I went to Walgreens and figured it's all the same I just had some kind of reaction to the Adderall back when I used Cor before and the drugs are the same.. Well sure as hell the Cor sucked for me again with the bad effects, lol and I'm back on Barr thank God, lol

why are these 2 so different if they are the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-10, 12:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Killface1981 will become famous soon enough

The Core Pharma has been tested from anywhere as 68.5 percent to 135 percent effective as Shire's original IR. I'm guessing this is why it's so pathetic, and unpredictable. It felt like I was on meth or something at times, other times, I couldn't notice I had taken my Adderall.

I'm not sure why, but do know that Shire sold everyone with ADD out, and let these weaker pharm comps take over with their generics(not even the namebrand is made by Shire or as effective anymore.)

All this, and generic 30 mg XR is more expensive now than it was before? Without insurance, I'm speaking of course... Adderall 30 mg XR went from 10 dollars a month to 15 with insurance... without insurance, it was generally 92-105. Now for the 30 mg XR(generic), it's 134.99... how does that make sense?

Also fillers do make a difference in meds no matter what anyone says...
Old 08-04-10, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,009 Times in 11,617 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface1981 View Post
The Core Pharma has been tested from anywhere as 68.5 percent to 135 percent effective as Shire's original IR. I'm guessing this is why it's so pathetic, and unpredictable. It felt like I was on meth or something at times, other times, I couldn't notice I had taken my Adderall.

I'm not sure why, but do know that Shire sold everyone with ADD out, and let these weaker pharm comps take over with their generics(not even the namebrand is made by Shire or as effective anymore.)

All this, and generic 30 mg XR is more expensive now than it was before? Without insurance, I'm speaking of course... Adderall 30 mg XR went from 10 dollars a month to 15 with insurance... without insurance, it was generally 92-105. Now for the 30 mg XR(generic), it's 134.99... how does that make sense?

I was told that people are more likely to be allergic to the fillers than the meds themselves. Don't know if that's true or not. Reactions can vary from mild to anaphylactic.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-04-10)
Old 08-04-10, 06:08 PM
Jr Member

brjmhome is on a distinguished road

Different drugs from diffferent manufacturers DO make a difference in how your body reacts to said drugs. Have you ever bought a knock-off version of Benadryl or Advil and felt as though it wasn't as effective as the brand-name even though the ingredients on the back of the box say exactly the same thing? Well the same goes for prescription medications folks...and it is applicable across the board with all kinds of medications. I have had pain killers in which I filled generics produced by different companies and have had significantly different results in their efficacy / the way my body responds to what should be the exact same formulation. The funny thing is, should you ever raise the question to your pharmacist / Doctor, they'll indefinitely tell you it's all in your head...which is an easy statement to make considering they aren't taking the meds and have no objectivity in making said statement. Long story short, if you notice a med from a certain manufacturer treats your body better and is more effective, stand by your observation and stick to a pharmacy that fills your prescription from whichever manufacturer has the best effect on your body / for your condition. - peace
Old 08-04-10, 06:35 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

A clinical study comparing the efficacy (chemically -no placebo)

between
Brand antidepressant and its Teva barr generic

"Two Generic Antidepressant Medications and Their
BioEquivalence or Bio-Inequivalence

Franck Chenu, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
1, Lisa Batten, M.A.1, Gerald Zernig, ......

Background: Generic drugs are lower-cost versions of patent-expired original brand name medications.

Previous report described a high rate of relapse in patients switched from brand to generic formulation of citalopram
and similar cases were observed in Canada since the introduction of generic venlafaxine (VEN).

The aim of the present study was to compare the pharmacokinetic profile of original and generic formulations of venlafaxine and citalopram in 12 healthy volunteers.

Methods: Effexor/Novo-venlafaxine (TEVA) XR 75 mg and Celexa/Gen-citalopram 40 mg were

Results: The plasma levels of CIT were similar after the ingestion of the brand and the generic drug.

After ingestion of VEN, the Cmax were 366 and 528 ng/mL in the brand and generic groups, respectively. The ratio of the logtransformed values of Cmax was of 150%!, and therefore was not within the acceptable 80% to 125% range.

The concentration of the active metabolite of VEN was also significantly increased in the generic group +4348% (than the brand at 3, 4, 5 and 6 hours).

No differences were obtained at steady state for both the ODV and VEN.

Subjects under generic medication reported
three times more side effects than those taken the brand-name medication.

Pill contents were the same in the two
groups, but the extraction of the generic occurred more readily than the brand which required an additional sonication. (means generic teva was released much faster than the brand release -up and down effect.)

Conclusions: Gen-citalopram appeared to be bio-equivalent to Celexa, whereas Novo-venlafaxine was not bioequivalent to Effexor.

Consequently, the Novo-venlafaxine formulation was releasing its active ingredient more rapidly and outside of the prescribed norm."

thnks to "Irony" who posted this link.

Old 08-04-10, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Rune will become famous soon enough

With regards to fillers I know that Barr triggers migraines for me. Corepharma no problem. I have not had either my pharmacist or my doctor disagree that fillers make the difference. In fact my pharmacist always orders Corepharma for me, and has started stocking it regularly because others have told her that it works better for them than the Barr they normally carry. I guess in some ways we should be thankfull for multiple alternatives as it allows those that have reactions to fillers to try ones with different fillers.
Any thoughts and opinions expressed within are solely that. My own thoughts and opinions. What is said is from my own view or interpretation of what happened or is posted. Take what is said under advisement, but never over what a medical professional recommends. Any scenario mentioned may be real or may be from my own little world of reality. Use caution. Results may vary.
Old 08-09-10, 11:54 AM

Drizzy is on a distinguished road

Yupp I went from the blue(10mg) and orange(30mg) Barr tabs from CVS to the 30mg pink Corepharma tabs at Walgreens. The Corepharma's really suck to me. I feel like I am high, and not in a good way. My mind is foggy, but I am motivated to do stuff. I can't focus/concentrate, rendering these tabs useless when school starts. I can't think of anything they are good for (in my case at least) other than cleaning my house/room. I tried Corepharma tabs because CVS was out of the Barr tabs, and I was desperate to get my script filled because I couldn't wait a whole week w/o anything.

Quick question! This all happened exactly 1 week ago. If I call my Dr. and explain the situation, get another script (she is cool, she knows I am not abusing them) and fill it at CVS with the Barr tabs, will my insurance not pay out? Because I just got 30-30mg tabs that don't work??
Old 08-09-10, 08:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Can you link to those studies? That has been my experience with them as well, except I felt like I never took the Adderall. One dosage felt really strong, but only once. I got a lot more of their pills and they mostly feel weak.
Old 08-10-10, 05:33 AM

Drizzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I just got the brand name Adderall XR 30mg and it IS still produced by Shire. Thats why I wanted to test these out and see if they are as good as everyone says they are. Also, 30 days worth of the Adderall XR (by Shire) cost me $50 and I have good insurance. It would have been $255 if I didn't have insurance. Shire is the best, but they REALLY need to bring back the IR's bc the generic brand IR's SUCK
Old 08-11-10, 05:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Were you upset with the generic? I never felt the XR was wrong for me, what was the brand name like?
Old 08-11-10, 07:43 PM

sauer_kraut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
Quick question! This all happened exactly 1 week ago. If I call my Dr. and explain the situation, get another script (she is cool, she knows I am not abusing them) and fill it at CVS with the Barr tabs, will my insurance not pay out? Because I just got 30-30mg tabs that don't work??
It will more than likely pay for it and they will fill it because it is a sig. change to the script itself. I have had my Adderall altered a few times in dose and when I asked if the pharmacy would fill it because it was not yet a month, my pdoc said yes due to the fact that it is a different mg required so they have to honor it for the change. Same goes for brands I would think, because I have found that generic (made by our friends at Teva hoo-hoo) Lamictal was making me crabby and impatient, I got a medically necessary brand requirement script and there was no problem. So, the worst that can happen is they say "no" then talk to your doc and go from there. Best of luck to you!