ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you have ADHD (inattentive, combined, or hyperactive-impulsive)?
ADHD (inattentive) 5 45.45%
ADHD (combined) 6 54.55%
ADHD (hyperactive-impulsive) 0 0%
I do not have ADHD. 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-17, 04:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Adult ADD, Adult AD(H)D or Adult ADHD?

Do you have Adult ADD, Adult AD(H)D or Adult ADHD?

M
Old 08-08-17, 04:46 AM

Re: Adult ADD, Adult AD(H)D or Adult ADHD?

I was diagnosed with Adult ADD inattentive

But I can relate to both Adult ADD and Adult ADHD.

So I picked option Adult AD(H)D combined.

M
Old 08-08-17, 06:15 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,146 Times in 8,922 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, these distinctions no longer exist in an official capacity in DSM-5.

There is only ADHD.

The DSM-5 ADHD diagnosis covers both children and adults, and it includes all of the old subtypes (predominantly inattentive, predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and combined type).

The thinking was that these subtypes aren't stable over the lifespan -- in other words, over time, a person's symptoms might shift and/or be better described by a different subtype than they were originally diagnosed with -- so it was silly to have to scrap the old diagnosis and get a new one. Also, there weren't clear differences in treatment by subtype.

Now the single diagnosis of ADHD covers all of those subtypes, so the formal, big-picture diagnosis doesn't change, even if the exact mix of bothersome symptoms does.

There's still the question of SCT -- what is it, and how does it relate to ADHD?

But for anyone diagnosed with ADHD (or ADD), of any of the 3 main types, or "adult ADD", or "residual type", or what have you -- that's all just covered by ADHD now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-08-17), ginniebean (08-08-17), Little Missy (08-08-17), Lunacie (08-08-17), PoppnNSailinMan (08-08-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-17, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
For what it's worth, these distinctions no longer exist in an official capacity in DSM-5.

There is only ADHD.

The DSM-5 ADHD diagnosis covers both children and adults, and it includes all of the old subtypes (predominantly inattentive, predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and combined type).

The thinking was that these subtypes aren't stable over the lifespan -- in other words, over time, a person's symptoms might shift and/or be better described by a different subtype than they were originally diagnosed with -- so it was silly to have to scrap the old diagnosis and get a new one. Also, there weren't clear differences in treatment by subtype.

Now the single diagnosis of ADHD covers all of those subtypes, so the formal, big-picture diagnosis doesn't change, even if the exact mix of bothersome symptoms does.

There's still the question of SCT -- what is it, and how does it relate to ADHD?

But for anyone diagnosed with ADHD (or ADD), of any of the 3 main types, or "adult ADD", or "residual type", or what have you -- that's all just covered by ADHD now.
I was not asking about across life span but more specifically about 3 possible variations of adult ADHD.

The labelling changes from the old DSM to the new DSM are still easy to translate.

ADD = ADHD inattentive
AD(H)D = ADHD combined
ADHD = ADHD impulsive

M
namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 09:56 AM

Thanked 12,143 Times in 5,387 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I was not asking across life span but more specifically about 3 possible variations of adult ADHD.

ADD = ADHD inattentive
AD(H)D = ADHD combined
ADHD = ADHD impulsive
As namazu stated, by definition, those variations are not possible, and therefore do not exist.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 09:59 AM

brujanegra will become famous soon enough

I do. My doctor tells me that I have very likely had ADHD my entire life but because it was misdiagnosed as several other things, I've had to go a long while without proper support.

-Albert Einstein
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brujanegra For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-08-17), ginniebean (08-08-17), Little Missy (08-08-17), mildadhd (08-08-17), namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
As namazu stated, by definition, those variations are not possible, and therefore do not exist.

Cheers,
Ian
Nothing has changed biologically, only changes are in the labelling.

Example

ADD in the old DSM = ADHD (inattentive) in the new DSM

M
namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 10:15 AM

Thanked 12,143 Times in 5,387 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nothing has changed biologically changes are in the labelling.
Precisely, and inasmuch as this is true, what namazu said is spot-on.

The labeling has changed. All that exists now, *by definition*, is ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
ginniebean (08-08-17), namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 10:19 AM

Do you want me to start a new thread using the DSM 5 labelling instead of earlier DSM labels?

I do not mind.

M
namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 01:47 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you want me to start a new thread using the DSM 5 labelling instead of earlier DSM labels?
No, there's really no reason to start a new thread.

I agree that nothing has suddenly changed biologically, and that just the labeling has changed.

The point of the labeling change was to acknowledge that people's symptom presentations are not necessarily fixed over time. The distinctions psychiatrists had made in the past didn't necessarily reflect real, distinct types.

For this reason -- but mostly because it's less of a mouthful and most people don't care about the details -- if I have to commit to a diagnostic label, I just say I have ADHD. But I tend more and more to think about my own collection of strengths and weaknesses, and disregard the label (except when I need it to get insurance coverage).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-08-17), ginniebean (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 03:20 PM

Adult ADHD (inattentive), Adult ADHD (combined) or Adult ADHD (impulsive)?

Do you have Adult ADHD (inattentive), Adult ADHD (combined) or Adult ADHD (impulsive)?

M
Old 08-08-17, 03:34 PM

I should have just posted the newest DSM labels, to avoid confusing with old DSM labels with new labels, because this discussion has turned out to be a debate about old labels and new labels and was not the intention of this thread discussion when I posted it.

The thread discussion about new labels verses old labels was not the intention of this thread.

M

Last edited by namazu; 08-08-17 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: merged duplicative threads
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (08-08-17), namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 03:50 PM

Re: Adult ADHD (inattentive), Adult ADHD (combined) or Adult ADHD (impulsive)?

I can relate to both ADHD inattentive and ADHD impulsive so I picked ADHD combined in the poll.

M
Old 08-08-17, 03:53 PM

Thanked 23,685 Times in 10,950 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I had a real mixture of symptoms as a child: hyperactive, impulsive, and
inattentive. So very much combined type presentation.

As an adult I have very little hyperactivity, only in relation to my anxiety.
So as Namazu pointed out, it has changed over my life span.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 03:54 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

MODERATOR NOTE: I have merged the original thread and a new thread, and updated the poll options in accordance with the choices given in the second thread.