ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-25-03, 12:51 AM

rogerj1 has disabled reputation
Adding Wellbutrin to Strattera

I'm going in to see my med doc this week. I'd like to find out if I can add something to my Strattera prescription that might fine tune what I'm not getting from the Strattera any more. The Strattera used to help me to feel energized through the day. I don't feel like it does that anymore. I've tried taking 20 mg of adderall several times. One day I felt just great. Another time, I found myself having trouble putting my thoughts into words later in the afternoon. This may have been complicated by drinking coffee earlier in the day. Before I was on Strattera I was taking Wellbutrin, 300 mg split up twice a day. I stopped taking it when I went on Strattera because I was needing to take sleeping pills to get any sleep. Anyone had any success supplementing Strattera?
Old 08-26-03, 09:58 PM

make that provigil

What a surprise when my med doc suggested adding provigil to strattera. I told him I'd been feeling sleepy later in the day. I took 100 mg this morning and felt quite energetic today. It's around 6pm and it's wearing off. I think I'll try the 200 mg dose tomorrow. After a 3-4 week trial with the strattera/provigil combo, we'll try adding welbutrin to affect some mood issues I've been having. I hope this rx soup isn't too much!
Old 08-26-03, 10:31 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Rogerj1: Once you've added the Wellbutrin back....that will be three meds....do you need that many? Do you feel "overmedicated"? Or not really? Perhaps eventually just the Provigil and Wellbutrin?? JUST A THOUGHT....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)

Last edited by joanrdtobe; 08-26-03 at 11:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-03, 11:53 PM
Banned

sleepzalot is on a distinguished road
Provigil is a funny med. It helps to keep you alert if you are tired, but if you are already awake, it doesn't do much. It is a alpha-1 agonist as opposed to Wellbutrin which is some sort of dopamine/noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor.

If you end up on all three meds, and you think that is too many, you always try dropping just one of the tree for a while, just to see the effect.

Maybe Provigil and Wellbutrin may work without Staterra??

Sleepz.
Old 08-30-03, 01:34 AM

Three drugs would be a lot at once. I'm still not sure what to make of the provigil. I took the first full 200 mg dose today. It has had an impact on me. My med doc was drawn to provigil for me since I already have sleep issues having sleep apnea. I use a cpap machine to treat that. I really appreciate the thoughtful feedback. The Strattera has been such a wonder drug for me, I hate to give it up.
Old 08-31-03, 08:49 AM

mairia is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin Strattera

I have been on Wellbutrin for three years --- best antidepressant I have ever taken, and believe me I've taken quite a few! Three days ago my psychiatrist started me on Strattera. So far I have been a bit more alert, but today is the first day I have not had vague nausea and profuse sweating. The sweating occured about two hours after taking the Strattera.
I take 200 mgm of Welbutrin twice a day, and 40 mgm of Strattera once a day. I am to boost the Strattera to 80mgm after a week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-31-03, 04:55 PM

Mairia, you're right where I was 9 mos. ago. I eventually quit taking the wellbutrin as I couldn't get to sleep at night. It turns out I was taking my 2nd dose too late in the day. If I were to take a 2nd dose of Wellbutrin now, it would be after lunch. You may find you can go to one dose of Wellbutrin as you increase the Strattera. I may add a morning dose of Wellbutrin, we'll see. One of the effects Strattera has had on me is that it feels like my "system" is heating up. I feel slightly feverish, somewhat dehydrated and I sweat more. That hasn't gone away. The nausea has been infrequent and helped by taking with food. The fact that my brain is more switched on has compensated for the side effects. I hope you get some benefit as well, Mairia. Strattera was a huge help for me. Wellbutrin is the most energizing of the antidepressants which is why I believe those of us with ADD find it so helpful. My version of ADD is the inattentive, low energy version.

Last edited by rogerj1; 08-31-03 at 05:02 PM..
Old 09-08-03, 11:01 PM

Well, the provigil wasn't for me. There was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't make me feel great. I'm taking 100 mg of Wellbutrin in the am along with the Strattera. I've been taking it for 4 days now. Last night, I could not get to sleep. This is why I discontinued Wellbutrin initially. Unfortunately, I really like how I feel combining Strattera and Wellbutrin. We'll see if the sleeping problem continues. Has anyone had this problem? I was wondering today whether it would help to switch to the non-extended release version of wellbutrin.
Old 09-09-03, 12:40 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Strattera too late made me have "restless leg syndrom
' at night... full body though. Everything felt antisy and would twich!
Provigil kept me from sleeping AT ALL. I'd lie down, relax my muscles, melt into the matress, and still be awake forever later at 5 am!
Do whatever cmbos works for you for however long it works for you! Good luck!
Old 09-09-03, 08:35 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,059 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Yep...once again, the adage appears to be true:

What works for some will not work for others.

Have patience while you try and figure out the right combination of meds/dosage that work for YOU.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 09-11-03, 05:08 AM
Banned

sleepzalot is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm on the OZ equivalent of Provigil and Strattera and my concentration over the last 4 days is greater than the last year.

I'm crashing tonight, as after being a usual 9-12 hours a night sleeper and vegging the rest; I've been down to 6 hours per night for the last 5 days.

I am exhausted; but in lots of ways; feel at last like there might actually be light at the end of the tunnel. What an amazing week so far. Sooo much done at work; being awake at home....incredible.

And this was just by adding the Stattera by my local Doc whilst waiting for my psych to see me again. We figured that as I was going to wait a few weeks; trying another med wasn't going to go to waste as better than trying nothing.

Beers for my local doc!!

Sleepzalttlelessnow
Old 09-12-03, 12:03 AM

I'm switching to the nonextended release Wellbutrin today. It stays in the system 10 hrs vs. 20 hrs. for the longer version. Hopefully I'll get to sleep tonight. Last night was hell.
Old 09-12-03, 07:22 AM

ew to Strattera

I haae been on Stattrera on for two weeks -- , at first I felt energized but now I just feel sleepy .. went from 40 mgn to 80 mgm a week ago -- how long must I wait for this stuff too "kick in"? Any help would be welcomed. Mairia
Old 09-12-03, 08:45 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,059 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Each person is different, mairia, but my personal experience was less than a week to realize the full benefit.

Perhaps Strattera isn't the med for you?

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 09-12-03, 04:24 PM

Waiting

Andrew,
You may be right, but I so desperatly wanted this to work, now I am nosediving into a depression thinking that it may not!
Thanks for replying. Mairia