ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-30-05, 08:58 PM
Jr Member

D00fy is on a distinguished road
Law School

at the moment I am preparing for the LSAT EXAM to hopefully get into Law School, Hahah funny thing is while I study im constantly thinking "GAWD I HOPE I HAVE ADDERALL IN LAW SCHOOL" , Law School -Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of Reading :/
Old 04-30-05, 09:58 PM

AutopilotOFF is on a distinguished road
If you have problems with reading, you might want to check out this program: ReadPlease. It will read text out loud and at many schools you can get books on CD through the student services offices and just copy the text into the program.

I know in my case, I will retain most if not all of what is spoken to me but wont remember hardly anything I read. However, if I read along with the program speaking out the words it seems to help.

There is a free version for download on the site, so you don't have to buy the professional version if you don't want to.
Old 05-01-05, 01:30 PM
Jr Member

D00fy is on a distinguished road
awesome,thanx
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 04:39 PM
Banned

mccoffee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutopilotOFF
If you have problems with reading, you might want to check out this program: ReadPlease. It will read text out loud and at many schools you can get books on CD through the student services offices and just copy the text into the program.

I know in my case, I will retain most if not all of what is spoken to me but wont remember hardly anything I read. However, if I read along with the program speaking out the words it seems to help.

There is a free version for download on the site, so you don't have to buy the professional version if you don't want to.
I could use that with cisco thanks for the tip
Old 02-15-06, 03:22 AM

WINDUP is on a distinguished road
lol! Ha! Interesting initial POST. I spoke with an attorney once who said that he used to get hold of Dexamphetamine throughout law school. This was 40 years ago now. He said all law students used to do it... it was one of those unspoken things. I'm not saying that this is a good thing or that you should do this. In fact if you take ADDERALL or any other ADHD med is can actually worsen your performance in law school! Reminds me of those USAF pilots that get prescribed the stuff all the time anyhow and I am certain very few of them have ADHD!
Old 02-15-06, 03:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
I worked with several attorneys who were ADD that were on meds (not in Law School, sorry guys so I'm not sure what that's like) but I'm older than y'all and so were they..and it is what it is..meaning that the meds help you focus if you have ADD..and not to be abused by non-ADDers, like they're depicted in the 'movies' etc.

Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 02-19-06, 12:52 PM

anilyze has disabled reputation
Language is processed auditorily regardless of whether it's heard or read.
I was having trouble reading as well, but in lecture although I felt like I could usually follow, I couldn't hold things in my head long enough to take notes after hearing it...
Anyway, long story short, I had some testing done and I my auditory processing is far worse than my other cognitive abilities and I read elsewhere on the forum that is common for AD(H)Ders to be impaired in auditory processing compared to their other abilities.
So, listening to it may not be much better.
Ed: I love listening to audiobooks and I can follow them just fine, but I've found more technical material to be more difficult in audio format.

Just something to think about before buying the program... It may not be as big a help as you think.
Old 02-19-06, 03:18 PM
Contributor

Kokomo has disabled reputation
There are several practicing attorneys on this forum so let us know if we can be of any assistance. If you have your meds at a level that is helpful to you, they will be equally helpful in law school. Don't read 1L by Scott Turow, law school really isn't much different that any other college or graduate program. You will do fine. I do encourage you to practice and practice for the LSAT. Buy every pre-test you can afford. I raised my average score from my first practice test to the actual LSAT exam by over 18 points and secure a full-ride because of my scores. The games can be tough and the LSAT "logic" seems contrary to logic sometimes, but you CAN figure out how those tests are structured and what the right answer is, even it doesn't appear intuitively correct.

If you need any other help, hit me up on PM or we can chat sometimes, I can teach you some of the "games" I fooled myself with to get through long reading sessions. For example, I would read the facts first, pretend I was the Judge, and then read the opinion. It helped to keep the readng interesting, and if it's interesting, you can focus easier. I also tried to understand how law is an entity that is constantly shaped and reshaped by new cases and used that model to fit all my new knowledge onto whatever I learned before in law school. Again, best of luck!
Old 02-19-06, 08:00 PM
Jr Member

nuaddmom is on a distinguished road
anilyze,
My son also has auditory processing disorder along with ADHD. They do seem to go hand in hand often. Taping lectures helps him as it is difficult to take notes and listen, but he wouldn't be able to do just taped texts as he says he needs the visualization.
Old 02-20-06, 01:41 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 639 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
re: #7

Yes, in the auditory cortex.

Vision and smell are the same, too. All senses do this.

We have the organ for the external sensory event, and then the area is mapped in the dedicated part of the brain. eg hearing/language/'selftalk' occurs in the Auditory Cortex; vision/sight/visualization/'blindsight' is done in the Visual Cortex.

The thing that I always thought was cool about smell is that it is linked to the limbic system (seat of emotion).

This is likely why smells, good and bad, can affect us so deeply. eg love, fear, cozy feelings, or revulsion.
Old 02-20-06, 03:36 PM

anilyze has disabled reputation
Yeah, the strength of affective associations to scents is pretty cool.
Old 03-20-06, 01:05 AM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 639 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
re: LSAT Test Accommodations

-I am wondering if anyone had specific ADHD or LD Accommodations for writing the LSAT?

-If so, what were they? Divided up? More time? Not in a crowded gym?

-Do they ever do Accommodations for physical injuries such as more comfortable seating? (eg pain issues with long sitting on hard chairs; need real padded office chair.)