ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-10, 10:02 PM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice
Good idea or not?

I know many of you have read my threads and I have been dealing with some difficult things. I felt I needed an outlet for my energy, creativity, and a way to help rid the loneliness. So, after looking around in my area for a single parents group I could not find one. I made a blog and hopefully it will turn into something great. If you want to look at it http://sponcm.blogspot.com .

My goal is to maybe organize events for children and parents. Even organize events for just the adults. I thought it might be a good way for me to make some friends. I thought it would be a good way for others to make friends. And since it's community related, it might be a good way to advertise my business. However, the advertising wasn't even a thought in this. I just thought of it now while writing this post. So don't think there is a hidden agenda here. Anyways, do you think it's a good idea for me to try and promote this? Or do you think I should focus on my own problems in my life before doing something like this?
Old 06-21-10, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Good idea or not?

There is nothing wrong with alternate outlets. Nothing.

You might want to hook in with Parents Without Partners if there is a group in your area. Likely, they would love to opportunity to interconnect.

Reach out to churches and the library and your local paper. There is a need for groups that allow single parents to connect.

You are doing good.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
meridian (06-21-10)
Old 06-21-10, 10:09 PM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

I looked for parents without partners and there is no group here. I hadn't thought about becoming part of their group myself. Problem is that I'm not sure how much follow through I will have. I am actually pretty impressed that I finished designing the blog. Normally I have zero follow through. But since my dx and rx, I've been able to complete a lot more. I'm afraid that if I become a group of PWP, I will fail at it because I won't stick with it. My area has almost no support groups for anything other than AA. So, I figured any group would help people. I'm gonna print up some flyers and pass em around. If I stick with it for at least a few weeks, then I will consider joining PWP. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DADHD For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (06-22-10), meridian (06-21-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-10, 11:52 PM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

I always seem to want to start my own thing rather than joining something in process and at this point in life I feel that has been a mistake.

It is really relaxing to simply show up for a meeting and then leave when you want without all the responsibilities of securing the space, getting the fixtures, finding the people, collecting a contribution, sending out emails, etc.

ALmost every church I know of will have a singles group or an adult group.

But beyond church groups (which would NOT be for me) try adult ed classes at local high schools or local colleges. I don't know but what about Meetup.com or Craig's List or one of the other lists that cater to single parents.

Another simple way to do this would be to look for a Facebook group for single parents in your area or start one. That's easy.

Best of luck!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (06-22-10), Amtram (06-22-10)
Old 06-22-10, 09:06 AM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to suggest Meetup. Most of the things I'm interested in don't have meetups near me, but I still check every once in a while to see if that's changed. (Church is not an option for me, either. . .) Adult education is a good one, if it's a long enough class. Most of the time, local school facilities are used, so you can check with the school board offices near you to see if they can get you in touch with the adult education program. Some community colleges have adult/continuing education programs, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (06-22-10)