ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-10, 06:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

ugoclick has a spectacular aura aboutugoclick has a spectacular aura about
Do you invent? Protect the idea.

LONG POST but please take the time to read if you like to invent stuff.

Hi.

I have invented some products and solutions that have made companies over 50Million combined over the last decade.

However I personally did not make any money out of any of them. I made losses on a few.

This is because I always failed to protect my interest in a project that I would start due to falling into very simple traps that companies put out there.

The following is an awe full attempt to explain what happened to me earlier this year.

The 3D interactive Learning environment:

when I stare at something for a bit to long it appears to go into 3D ever so slightly, It is as I have zoomed in to such an extent that it is clearer, standing out and much more interesting.

I started thinking about this for a bit and decided I would make something based on this experience that will help children who struggle with Academic learning in school, especially the kids who cant focus or retain information from pictures or text.

I went to a company who I had worked for a few years earlier. They sold 3d projectors and 3D models to school. There was no interest for my idea so I decided to try a different approach, I would show them just how good the idea was.

within a few weeks I had managed to get them to take me on as a subcontractor as a call out IT engineer. I knew they were over stretched on a number of projects and needed an engineer. I thought this would be a great way to position myself into a place witin the company so I could try to get into the 3D department to make my product.

After a few months I went to the boss and told him that I could make him a system to catalogue all the 3d models that he sells to schools and then work on a way for the schools to be able to browse them. This was on the back of a school complaining that they had the 3D screen and 3D static models but what now!

And so that’s how I got into the 3D department of this PLC to develop this system that I had thought of a long time ago.

I created a 3D interactive player which enabled the teachers and children to see things like Atoms in 3D as no one else has.

This would pop out the screen in animation and could be controlled by the teachers and children to such an extent that they would introduce more chemicals and see how they interact with each other.

So a child sees a 3D screen with a picture of the periodic table.
When he clicks on something it would show that chemical and then give options to zoom right in at molecular level to see how it looks, animates and interacts with things around it.

Pull in another chemical and it will show you how it reacts to the existing one in a Big 3D animation.

I built in many other features but the main one that I believe was the important thing was the interface.

I built the interface and navigation buttons within the 3D environment. Now when this was in 3D it made a massive difference to how much fun it was to use and how captivating it was for the children.

I designed it this way because I knew if I was watching a 3d player and the buttons were in 2D, they would all distract me to much to be able to concentrate.

to cut a long story shorter. This system is now in Many schools in the UK who use it on their large 3D projectors and 3D laptops to design, make and share complete 3d animated lessons using a range of 3D models that they can make in their IT lessons and then import to my system just by saving it in a specific folder.

I made not a penny from this. Infact I made a LOSS because I paid for much of the planning system to build it.

During development I was having trouble with money so I accepted this companies offer to become an employee as I worked on the system.

When it was almost ready to go live I got sacked and could not claim any rites to the system because I was an employee when I made it.

Crazzy isnt it lol.

so please be careful about who you speak to if you ever have a unique invention.

I have 2 new products that I want to make but I need to raise money to protect the ideas 1st.

It is frustrating because one of the products I am told by an innovations university could drastically change the way we consume water in our bathrooms. and the other one would mean you never need to change batteries in a game controllers, Wireless keyboard and the like ever again.

My point is this sort of thing is why we don’t advance in innovation as much as we could. The smaller man is not protected in any way
My advice.. Always get an NDA ( non disclosure ) from anyone you mention the idea 2.

Make sure you don’t sign someone else’s Bilateral NDA unless you have had it approved by someone to is qualified in the complexities of the forms.

This is how manufactures are able to steal peoples ideas.

You think you are protected when you tell them your concept but they only have to reply with “ We already thought of that “ and you cant do anything about it because you signed an agreement that you would not tell anyone about what this company is working on.
Old 08-15-10, 10:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you invent? Protect the idea.

If I read this correctly (which is always a question) it sounded like you approached them with the idea before they hired you.

Can you prove that in ANY way? You may be able to get something out of them with a lawsuit. Often corporations will settle rather than litigate, but you will then permanently be out of that and probably not well liked in the field -- so weigh your options carefully.

Are there any inexpensive ways for you to protect your ideas?

In the States, people USED to send them self a registered or certified letter with the idea inside that they would then never open unless needed. I think that method has been discredited, but you might look into how it is handled in your part of the world.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 08-15-10, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

Hi,

Because the idea was in my head and I was and still am disorganised. I never planned things on paper. Not until they took me seriously and by then it was to late.

I did however do most of the work on the project in my own time ans using my own money for software, server and project management to be able to get organised because I knew I was so bad in the office environment.

Unfortunately I have no proof other than I paid for the project management and the work that is on there. This is a moot point because the date of the project management is after I started at the company so it is all theirs.

I don’t dwell on it because the company would have no idea I done all this before I joined them. I did not say I want a job as an engineer to get into your company so I can make a 3d Program. So it is not their fault, they believed in me and invested in me and so it should be theirs. They gave me an increase in pay within a very short space of time that was 100% rise.

I go sacked because of how bad I was in the workplace but at the time I did not know I had Adhd and neither did they so I cant blame them. I would of sacked myself.

I have done many similar things in the past but never analysed why I keep doing it. Now I know and I wont be doing it again
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-10, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

I even branded the project 3Dfusion and made the logo, got the website address , all with my own money in my spare time. when I want to accomplish something I go all in because I wont be able to see it to the end if I dont. so It is a harsh lesson I learnt.
Old 08-16-10, 02:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

On another note: When you get a patant on a product, you are also making it public knowledge.

This brings the risk of any large company simply taking your idea and using it. The patant will take years to go through and by that time it wil cost you a fortune to stop any other company using it. And taking them to court is a waste of time if you dont have Millions.

My solution for this was to find an insurence company who will give you Patent insurence.