ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-10, 04:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the roughThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the roughThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the rough
I am beside myself right now

to top it off... everything I just wrote got deleted /hit the wrong key

to sum this up once again:

my new dr that is supposedly helping me with ADHD wont listen to anything Im telling him about what is going on... and keeps reverting back to something I mentioned last session (2 weeks ago) and I breifly said something about it today...

then he starts telling Me what to do.... this is my second visit and hes going off on this topic like I was with him for years right...

high and mighty tells me 'Im your dr now and Im telling you you cant blah blah blah and you have to say blah blah blah' EXCUSE ME! try that again!

he got me so aggitated and I wanted to tell him to f@@@ himself... the only reason I didnt walk out was he was the only dr that I could find that would take me right away and agreed to help me with the ADHD who didnt have a 4-6 month waiting list, if they were even accepting new patients at all.

so I go back and go back to being a complete idiot or I tolerate this jack @@@.

did I mention he has an accent, is really weird looking, and makes me really nervous???

so what to do... ...I have no idea

and what he is saying to do is not illegal, dangerous to me or someone else, etc,, just basic s@@@...

I guess this is his power trip.

my appointment was at noon and its 4:47pm now and Im still at this.

usually things just roll off me...

thank for the vent and any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-18-10, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the roughThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the roughThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the rough
Re: I am besided myself right now

Im better now... just listened to some music.

that dr is an @@@.

no response to this needed.

sorry for the rant
Old 10-18-10, 06:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

I am really, really curious as to what he's telling you to do that has you so upset.
Old 10-18-10, 06:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

too long of a story...

sorry.
Old 10-18-10, 07:35 PM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice

An example or two perhaps?

I'm wondering if he's taking an old-school approach to treating ADHD. All authoritarian, no hand-holding, just like how my parents used to help me.
Old 10-18-10, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

he is trying to dictate what I should do in a relationship with someone i know,... has nothing to do with adhd, and wouldnt talk with me about the subject on top of it.

everyone has an opinion i guess.

its fine.
Old 10-18-10, 07:41 PM

Thanked 25,985 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutLoud View Post
he is trying to dictate what I should do in a relationship with someone i know,... has nothing to do with adhd, and wouldnt talk with me about the subject on top of it.

everyone has an opinion i guess.

its fine.
Sounds like he's not really hearing you.

I hope you don't go back, and I hope you let him know why.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-18-10, 07:42 PM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice

Some doctors sure are opinionated. I had one walk-in clinic guy lecture me about my major at school for a good 10 minutes!

I know it's hard to take and sometimes people are just insufferable, but try and see the problems you talk about with him from his perspective. That might clue you in to why he's so...firm. But yeah, some people are intolerable for no reason. Sorry you've met yet another one.
ThinkingOutLoud (10-19-10)
Old 10-18-10, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Sounds like he's not really hearing you.

I hope you don't go back, and I hope you let him know why.

unsure at the moment.

i win and lose at the same time either way I go... its just a question of what gets won or lost...
Old 10-18-10, 07:53 PM

Thanked 25,985 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutLoud View Post
unsure at the moment.

i win and lose at the same time either way I go... its just a question of what gets won or lost...
The question is: whether to continue seeing this guy who doesn't really listen to you and wants to give you orders - or - wait for a few months and maybe find a doctor (psychologist or psychiatrist?) who is willing to listen and discuss? For me, that's a no-brainer. But I've wasted enough time on bad doctors over the years (I'm nearly 60). You may be willing to keep seeing this guy until there is an opening with someone else.

Good luck with all this.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-10, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocodity View Post
Some doctors sure are opinionated. I had one walk-in clinic guy lecture me about my major at school for a good 10 minutes!

I know it's hard to take and sometimes people are just insufferable, but try and see the problems you talk about with him from his perspective. That might clue you in to why he's so...firm. But yeah, some people are intolerable for no reason. Sorry you've met yet another one.

...yes, good word 'insufferable'
Old 10-18-10, 08:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
The question is: whether to continue seeing this guy who doesn't really listen to you and wants to give you orders - or - wait for a few months and maybe find a doctor (psychologist or psychiatrist?) who is willing to listen and discuss? For me, that's a no-brainer. But I've wasted enough time on bad doctors over the years (I'm nearly 60). You may be willing to keep seeing this guy until there is an opening with someone else.

Good luck with all this.
sounds like a good plan. get on a waiting list and though it out
Old 10-18-10, 09:07 PM

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,267 Posts
BouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. The entire purpose of a therapist/councilor is so you get the help you need. You are not getting any help here.

Some people suffer from God Complex in the medical field. I'm not saying this guy is one of them, but being a bully to your patients is certainly one of the symptoms. I usually dismiss the "because I said so" types when they play that game. They tend to be set in their ways and opinions, and that is not what you want to be doing in medicine.

Medicine is about dynamic problem solving--adapting to, and staying one step ahead of the patient's condition. This guy isn't going to be any help to you. Eighty-six the dude with a polite and honest explanation (that I am almost certain he won't accept) about how you feel and why you don't need his help at this time.

Do not tell him you are hunting for another medical professional to take his place. If he asks, just tell him you two aren't a good fit. These egomaniacs tend to talk to their peers, and it sounds like this man will probably end up being the type that charts that the patient/doctor relationship ended because you were being defiant and irrational. He may also taint the opinions of your new doctor if the two know each other: "Oh, you're caring for Jane Doe now? Yes, I had her, but she was very defiant and only wanted me to tell her what she wanted to hear."

Yes, I know that this is not true (and it violates HIPPA), but this is how s*** goes down in medicine sometimes. Medical staff are often clever with their verbiage in their notes, making themselves out to be the good guys and the turning the patients into resistive non-compliants.

So I say to get rid of him and get on one of those lists. Just do it with tact.
The Following User Says Thank You to BouCoupDinkyDau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-10, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
I agree. The entire purpose of a therapist/councilor is so you get the help you need. You not getting any help here.

Some people suffer from God Complex in the medical field. I'm not saying this guy is one of them, but being a bully to your patients is certainly one of the symptoms. I usually dismiss the "because I said so" types when they play that game. They tend to be set in their ways and opinions, and that is not what you want to be doing in medicine.

Medicine is about dynamic problem solving--adapting to, and staying one step ahead of the patient's condition. This guy isn't going to be any help to you. Eighty-six the dude with a polite and honest explanation (that I am almost certain he won't accept) about how you feel and why you don't need his help at this time.

Do not tell him you are hunting for another medical professional to take his place. If he asks, just tell him you two aren't a good fit. These egomaniacs tend to talk to their peers, and it sounds like this man will probably end up being the type that charts that the patient/doctor relationship ended because you were being defiant and irrational. He may also taint the opinions of your new doctor if the two know each other: "Oh, you're caring for Jane Doe now? Yes, I had her, but she was very defiant and only wanted me to tell her what she wanted to hear."

Yes, I know that this is not true (and it violates HIPPA), but this is how s*** goes down in medicine sometimes. Medical staff are often clever with their verbiage in their notes, making themselves out to be the good guys and the turning the patients into resistive non-compliants.

So I say to get rid of him and get on one of those lists. Just do it with tact.
defiant, exactly what would be said.

I havent decided for myself what I am going to do, but I will say it will have nothing to do with his demands. I cant even say recommendations.

Ill just play nice and agree to whatever til I get an appointment with a new dr.

yup, yeah, umm hum, sure, I agree, blah blah blah...

I guess thats what you get when a dr takes on a new patient a few days after a phone call and sees you...
BouCoupDinkyDau (10-18-10)
Old 10-19-10, 10:01 AM
Jr Member

mthom will become famous soon enough

if you decide that you need to wait it out, you might have luck just placating him. When he's pulling crap advice out of his butt, furrow your brows and nod. If you listen to him, or at least convince him that you are, you may very well find that he will get back to what you actually need to talk about.

I just thought of something - is he a psychiatrist or a psychologist/counselor? I ask b/c if your just seeing him to get meds then what I suggest above would prob work, but if youre going to see him for talk therapy then I can imagine that my advice would be moot. Why pay for something that you're not actually benefiting from and just leaves you frustrated.

Maybe keep calling around. And ask if you can be put on a call list for cancellations if it's something your schedule allows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mthom For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-19-10), ThinkingOutLoud (10-19-10)