ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-10, 06:58 PM
Jr Member

talper is on a distinguished road
having no motivation also for things you like?

hey,
since i was little i was facing big difficulties with motivation and was only diagnosed 4 months ago.
im trying ritalin/la with little success.
one of the main problems i have, is finding motivation even for areas i seem to like, like computer programming/web programming.
i have an experience of 20-30 different times over the years i tried learning but lost interest very fast only to come back to it later and again lose interest.

i wanted to ask you as i never heard of it with adhd, is it possible that i cant find motivation for things i do like and want to do? i have motivation problems in any area of my life which seem to be worst then other adders.. i dont hyperfocus and have very little hobbies.

i thought that if i really like it i will find the motivation and dont stop but im confuse as the adhd can play a factor.
what do you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to talper For This Useful Post:
Marspider (09-13-10)
Old 09-12-10, 07:51 PM

renka is on a distinguished road
Re: having no motivation also for things you like?

I think your condition is hard to figure out. It seems you have anhedonia (you can search it later for better understanding), which is basically when an individual can't find pleasure in any or in most things in life.

You also fit into the ADD category, predominantly inattentive (not hyperactive). So you're taking Ritalin LA. How much do you take? Is it your first treatment? Did you feel any improvement (if so, how was it)? And the last one (as for now): how was school, how did you cope with it?

Sorry for all those questions, I can't even diagnose anyone, but as an ADD who have faced anhedonia and depression, maybe I can help.
Old 09-12-10, 08:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,009 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've got depression.
Old 09-12-10, 09:00 PM
Jr Member

well, i can sure enjoy sex, food, chocolate, tv etc so im not sure i fit anhedonia.
i have unfortunately fibromyalgia on the background (full body pains, but i had adhd symptoms before that) and when i tried regular ritalin i did see some improvments yet i had bad mouth driness. i saw best improvment with 20+ mg.

now i tried ritalin la and up to 30mg, didnt see much help for concentration but feel some driness and little headache.
i did okay in school though i had this problem with programming and motivation with other things when i was younger.

i actually dont have any problem watching and enjoying tv for long time, yet when facing with computers and programming i face difficulties.
Old 09-12-10, 09:01 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
Sounds like you've got depression.
for............ 7 years? (: i tried learning since i was 15 and im now 22.
Old 09-12-10, 11:49 PM

Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,009 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Depression can last for years if untreated.
Old 09-13-10, 12:30 AM
Contributor

dally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to all

I've had depression for 30 years. Its intensity varies, but it's always there. The combination of ADHD and depression can definitely create the symptoms you are talking about. I have had that problem, too.
Every summer sun, Every winter evening, Every spring to come, Every autumn leaving, You don't need a reason. Let it all go on and on.
--Roma Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to dally For This Useful Post:
JollyBadger (09-13-10)
Old 09-13-10, 11:03 AM

gstam4 is on a distinguished road

i want to earn a PhD in philosophy, yet i have great difficulty motivating myself to sit down and read or write something most of the time. why? because it's tremendously difficult to focus and concentrate on what i want to do. as a result, when i'm unable to motivate myself, i pursue much less demanding activities like surfing the internet, watching tv, and listening to music.

i think that primarily-inattentive type ADD (and likely combined-type ADHD as well) can absolutely cause you to have great difficulty motivating yourself to start and follow through on tasks you like as well as dislike, particuarly when such activities require a higher level of cognitive performance (reading kant vs. playing ncaa football 2011 on my xbox 360). depression need not play any role in that, although people with ADD should pay especially close attention to their mental well-being, given the higher chances of comorbid mental problems (both short-term and chronic).
Old 09-13-10, 11:53 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstam4 View Post
i want to earn a PhD in philosophy, yet i have great difficulty motivating myself to sit down and read or write something most of the time. why? because it's tremendously difficult to focus and concentrate on what i want to do. as a result, when i'm unable to motivate myself, i pursue much less demanding activities like surfing the internet, watching tv, and listening to music.

i think that primarily-inattentive type ADD (and likely combined-type ADHD as well) can absolutely cause you to have great difficulty motivating yourself to start and follow through on tasks you like as well as dislike, particuarly when such activities require a higher level of cognitive performance (reading kant vs. playing ncaa football 2011 on my xbox 360). depression need not play any role in that, although people with ADD should pay especially close attention to their mental well-being, given the higher chances of comorbid mental problems (both short-term and chronic).
so what can i do about it? how to deal and get motivated about learning?
Old 09-13-10, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same trouble you are having. I'm combined ADHD. It's starting anything I've difficulty with. If I have to start anything whether I like it or not then I can't. I start other things because I'm avoiding doing what I'm supposed to be doing. The second, "I must" comes up, then my brain shuts down.
I don't know if it's ADHD or something more. i feel I've internalised oppositional defiant disorder or something. I've new medication for anxiety, i hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marspider For This Useful Post:
dally (09-13-10)
Old 09-13-10, 01:28 PM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

For me the answer is mental juggling. I have a number of things up in the air at all times. My DROID phone helps tremendously.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 09-13-10, 01:41 PM

gstam4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by talper View Post
that's the million dollar question im trying to figure out for myself. i suspect part of the answer is what i like to call 'sheer force of will'. others might involve trying to construct the right sort of physical environment in which to work (a dedicated and perhaps inspiring 'work area'), the right medication to help you focus yourself on what you want to do (if possible), and perhaps significant reflection on why you see value in the work you like and enjoy in some fundamental way but can't get yourself to sit down to actually do from a practical standpoint.

but i'm only just getting started in trying to fix my own problems.
Old 09-13-10, 01:43 PM
Contributor

dally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by talper View Post
I can tell you I'm in the same boat, and I haven't found any oars, either. I'm taking a bunch of medicines, and I started therapy a couple weeks ago. The lack of motivation, the lack of ability to stick to something even if you want to, the intense difficulty starting things, all of these are absolutely AD/HD. Depression can be both a result of these and a contributing factor.
Every summer sun, Every winter evening, Every spring to come, Every autumn leaving, You don't need a reason. Let it all go on and on.
--Roma Ryan
Old 09-13-10, 02:24 PM
Jr Member

actually if talking about computer/web development which is what i tried learning many times there are courses here but are very bad ones and cost as much as one year university cost.
i tried joining one a year ago, but when i started i saw they first talk about many things i already kinda know i lost interest and told my self "why should i wait months untill the course get to where i dont know much if i can just learn it now by myself".
i feel the same when seeing courses start in 2 months from now, i tell my self that it will be stupied to wait for the course 2 months when i can learn now.
of course i cant learn properly.
it seem that i dont have motivation to get past things i already learn and the past, although not remembering much.

of course i also have this internal fight of jumping from subject to subject, finding easier ones and whe facing hardship just stop.
im not sure what to do, look for other areas that dont make me feel so bad?
i only learned i have adhd a few months ago, and years of trying and failing maybe builg my patterns...
Old 09-13-10, 03:36 PM

engin33rgurl is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: having no motivation also for things you like?

I have found this to be true. Sometimes, there are so many potential fun things to do that it is very hard to pick one and then go do it. It's an odd feeling to feel as though you are "procrastinating" on something you usually enjoy doing.