ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-11, 11:30 AM

jrich will become famous soon enough
Marijuana and Motivation

I started smoking weed around 2 years ago at the end of high school, and I started smoking more heavily (3-4) times per week during last semester of college. I feel as if all the motivation I had in my earlier years isn't there anymore. Although when I take my medication I feel positive about myself, I feel as if I don't even want to go to school. The question I'm asking is if anyone else has lost motivation due to marijuana, and if they ever found it again after quitting. I have been off weed for almost 3 weeks now, and still feel the same depression and lack of motivation. Will things get better?
Old 01-05-11, 11:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future
Re: Marijuana and Motivation

Yes, weed will drain every unction to live out of you. Why don't you stop and find something else like jogging to take its place. In all truth, though this is a short reply, if you make this one change it will revolutionize your life. It will put the reigns of your life firmly in your hands.
danelady (01-05-11), jrich (01-05-11), Walter White (11-26-11)
Old 01-05-11, 12:25 PM

x3017 is on a distinguished road

Pot does horrible things to motivation and planning. Alot of ADDers uses it to self medicate, myself included. It's the wrong medication for what ails us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x3017 For This Useful Post:
jrich (01-05-11), markadd (02-13-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-11, 10:00 PM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

In my youth I used to love pot. Fortunately, the local hydroponic was fantastic and cheap, and the members of the local Harley riders glee club would occationally pay me in bud.

However, pot was always the end to my day. I could never light up and then be in public. If I was going to light up, it meant grabbing a bag of chips and a couple of Cokes, and riding the sofa until I headed off to bed.

About all I have to say about it now is it was probably better than getting plastered, but it was a huge waste of time and money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck223 For This Useful Post:
jrich (01-06-11)
Old 01-05-11, 10:10 PM

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,195 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I used to smoke/eat weed heavily 3-4 years ago and my motivation is still long gone, but with the help of ADHD meds I feel relatively more motivated to do things.

It's a good choice that you stopped smoking weed.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
jrich (01-06-11), Magicwithin (12-02-11)
Old 01-06-11, 05:55 PM

jrich will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help guys! My whole last semester at school seemed to drag on terribly.. and since i've been sober all of xmas break, I already feel better. I think it's a mix of quitting pot + starting anti-depressants, but regardless, I don't feel like I need to 'escape' anymore. I need to start facing my problems(relationships, friends, family) at hand rather than just getting high and not doing anything. I've been at the gym everyday, and I feel like that's my new 'fix' lol. It's nice that there are alot of positive influences on this site. I'm glad some other people can relate
Komod0Dragon (11-26-11), Song of Mercy (01-13-11), StoicNate (01-06-11)
Old 01-06-11, 07:37 PM

Thanked 10,518 Times in 5,187 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich View Post
Thanks for the help guys! My whole last semester at school seemed to drag on terribly.. and since i've been sober all of xmas break, I already feel better. I think it's a mix of quitting pot + starting anti-depressants, but regardless, I don't feel like I need to 'escape' anymore. I need to start facing my problems(relationships, friends, family) at hand rather than just getting high and not doing anything. I've been at the gym everyday, and I feel like that's my new 'fix' lol. It's nice that there are alot of positive influences on this site. I'm glad some other people can relate
stick to it, i wish i would of made my changes at that age
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
jrich (01-07-11)
Old 01-10-11, 09:17 PM

Oeshi823 is on a distinguished road

Smoking marijuana was always helpful with my symptoms, or at least I thought. Really all it does for me is calm me down and let me forget about my problems, which is not always so good. Though I love to smoke, I feel that I should quit sooner than later. Not easy to quit something you love, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oeshi823 For This Useful Post:
Magicwithin (12-02-11)
Old 01-10-11, 09:21 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

. . . this is an awesome thread.
ChaoticZen (01-12-11)
Old 01-10-11, 11:35 PM

Thanked 4,191 Times in 1,559 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

well my husband has been smoking it fairly consistantly for 31 years now.

He has never been without a job and has been the sole supporter of our family of 5 for 20 years.

He has moved from his starting positions to higher positions in every job he's had, and is currently one of 4 regional managers in his company.

His region has always been the highest in sales in his company, for the past 10 years.

He does not take his adhd meds anymore, He can't remember them, and can never seem to make it to the Dr for the checkups. He says they do help him focus tremendously, but when he would take them and smoke he would have crazy wild mood swings, mostly very very angry.

The kids called him psycho dad and made up a song about it. (He does have a great sense of humor).

He did not finish college. School was always a struggle for him and college was extremely hard.

I would have to say that smoking pot does not make him too unmotivated to handle what he needs to handle, and handle it well. He has ALWAYS provided very well for our family and is such an amazing dad my kids' friends can't believe it. He has never missed a dance competition or recital or performance. He and I have been together since we were 12 years old, he is a very dedicated and most amazing husband also.

He has never been able to sleep or even relax and would work sometimes for close to 48 hours straight before he literally just crashed. His mind races at night and he can't get all the troubles and responsibilites out of his head long enough to rest for a moment.

Smoking helps him calm down at night so he can put work away and get some sleep.

He recently got his black belt in tae kwan do and purple belt in krav maga and purple belt in DTS, he works out 5 days a week, so smoking pot 6-7 days a week has not interfered with that either. He is also a brown belt in Kenpo-jui jitsu. Physical activity is a must for him, beating up others is a plus, but he still needs the weed to get to sleep at night.

I think motivation is a very individual thing. For some smokimg pot makes them feel bad about themsleves and that weighs heavily on their mind. (My husband and I never had that problem :-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
buddy (01-12-11), ChaoticZen (01-12-11), pcjabber (03-18-13)
Old 01-12-11, 10:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

BeachBum has a spectacular aura aboutBeachBum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich View Post
I started smoking weed around 2 years ago at the end of high school, and I started smoking more heavily (3-4) times per week during last semester of college. I feel as if all the motivation I had in my earlier years isn't there anymore. Although when I take my medication I feel positive about myself, I feel as if I don't even want to go to school. The question I'm asking is if anyone else has lost motivation due to marijuana, and if they ever found it again after quitting. I have been off weed for almost 3 weeks now, and still feel the same depression and lack of motivation. Will things get better?
Hey jrich,

Marijuana can take away some or most of your drive to get out there and keep up with your everyday life. I smoked weed for years and it definitely had an impact on my motivation but I smoked several times per day and when I gave it up it took about a year for me to really feel a difference in my motivation. One thing I can tell you is that when I finally stopped, I never felt so free. No more worrying about whether I will have enough smoke to get through the week or when and where I will find my next bag. Congrats on stopping for three weeks, that is harder than most people think. Best of luck to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeachBum For This Useful Post:
bree (01-12-11), daveddd (01-15-11)
Old 01-12-11, 12:01 PM
Banned

Trevor4N will become famous soon enough

Cannibis I would call a mood stabilizer it sort of takes away the highs and lows of life. Once you stop Cannibis you will start to realize your true beliefs and feelings again. It is going to take you years to get out of the cannibis fog.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor4N For This Useful Post:
EshkaronsEngine (01-12-11)
Old 01-12-11, 01:25 PM

ChaoticZen is on a distinguished road

I've self medicated with pot for as long as I can remember (kind of an oxymoron for a pot head to say...haha)

I do still smoke now and then (and only the good stuff)...but the difference is that it's a choice and it doesn't feel like a need. Adderall kinda lessened my cravings for alcohol/weed.

Smoking always gave me motivation...I LOVED to get high and then go for a run...I'd have amazing epiphanies and revelations. I'd smoke and write, take photos or smoke and clean...Pot slowed my brain down enough to listen to my thoughts worth listening too...HOWEVER, the right medication should do that do. (shouldn't it?)

I understand how you feel about losing your motivation...it's hard for me to do the things (like running) using my own will instead of Mary Jane's...BUT...YOU have to be your own motivation. No one WANTS to be the kind of person that can only accomplish things because they are high. Old habits die hard, and I totally know how you feel...just commit to yourself that you will stay motivated to do 1 thing (for now) and stick to it...

good luck!
Jade Sea (03-13-11), Magicwithin (12-02-11)
Old 01-15-11, 07:23 AM

addkid92 will become famous soon enough

My mother who is a teacher, told me when I was a child - to never try marijuana as alot of kids with ADHD start medicating with it. I never really knew why they choose that route, and, to be honest one of my former friends used to medicate every day with it - and he was able to retain information more than when he was on ritalin.

I never understood it, I thought the stereotype was true - your present intelligence drops down and you have impaired mental cognition.

Until I tried it for the 6th time. I normally hated it as I had panic attacks, and, it exasperated OCD symptoms

This time, I wasn't peer pressured amongst my friends to smoke the amount they did. I smoked a miniscule amount. Then it hit me, I became intensely motivated for college, work, life, etc. I could actually hear lyrics in songs - where as normally I can't even make out more than 4 or 5 words - only the instrumentals is what I can focus on. I didn't have to drown out my ears with rock / metal music while reading, I could actually comprehend what I was reading.

I haven't tried it in about 2 weeks, today I went back on the metadate CD (* methylphenidate aka ritalin *) - saw slight motivational improvement, but back to the old familar zombie feeling.

I think anything in moderation is okay for you. Too much of one thing is never a good thing. I am not promoting cannabis, only, sharing my experience to see if someone else out on these forums can relate. I don't think marijuana has permanently ruined your motivation, I think, possibly it has opened your mind and is helping you see the world in a different way. I no longer wanted to pursue the occupation as a computer programmer, and, instead want to pursue a occupation in electronics engineering so I can one day build robots to serve and help mankind - rather than pursue an occupation only for the money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to addkid92 For This Useful Post:
Komod0Dragon (11-26-11), Magicwithin (12-02-11), pcjabber (03-18-13), Walter White (11-26-11)
Old 01-15-11, 03:09 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not entirely certain it's fair to blame everything on "self-medicating." It's okay to smoke pot without having to make excuses like "oh I was self-medicating." It's a frustrating trend coming out of the movement towards substance abuse being treated as secondary to other psychiatric conditions. The bottom line is, if you smoke pot, it's because you feel good. Self-medicating only makes sense if you're aware there's a problem that you're trying to treat. An alcoholic is not "self-medicating" depression, he or she is abusing alcohol. If he or she is depressed, that doesn't make the alcoholism okay. It is an unfortunate side effect of the movement towards seeing substance abuse as secondary that people are mitigating their responsibility for substance abuse.

I don't consider pot use "abuse" or even a problem in most cases, but I see a lot of people writing it off as "I self-medicate with this or that" and it's frustrating. In a few cases, I'm sure it's true, but for drugs like pot or nicotine, I think people do it because it feels good, not necessarily to "make problems go away" but rather for the same reasons other addicts chase the dragon: drugs are fun.

I'm not saying you're not self-medicating, and I'm also not saying that nobody self-medicates and that it's never self-medication, I'm just saying that sometimes, substance abuse is just substance abuse, and that's okay.
Jade Sea (03-13-11), Komod0Dragon (11-26-11), Luvmybully (01-15-11), nomannomad (01-19-11), pcjabber (03-18-13)