ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 02-09-17, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

To answer your original question, Ritalin did help me focus better on driving, and I have a really clean record. I started to notice things I had never seen before even tho I'd driven past them hundreds of times.

And it also made me more aware of just how bad my driving was at times. Pulling out into traffic, four way stops, and changing lanes on the big road all are issues..I have to notice a problem before I can fix it, so now I'm much more careful about those things.

I will avoid if at all possible, afternoon rush hour - it seems to start here around 3 and ends about 7. And the drivers in the Albany area are way more aggressive than ten years ago...
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
excel (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 08:56 PM
Jr Member

InterestedInPsy is on a distinguished road

I don't believe that slow processing speed has anything to do with driving anxiety. I have almost a superior processing speed (90th percentile), but I am still an anxious driver. I have my G1 (can drive with a person with at least a 3 years full driveer's licence), but won't drive because I'm scared of hitting someone/something. I don't want to get into an accident. I have GAD, OCD, and social anxiety, but I feel it's mainly the GAD with a dash of OCD that causes this. I wish I wasn't anxious driving.
Old 02-11-17, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,028 Times in 608 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Slow processing speed can add to the driving anxiety
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-18, 08:54 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone suffer form slow processing speed and driving anxiety. I notice when I know an area I am fine. When I don't know an area and am faced with multiple road sighns I get nervous.
Old 09-29-18, 03:40 AM

Thanked 27,052 Times in 13,137 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

yes, and also merging into traffic. otherwise, i would zone out and that was just dangerous.
I really never should have driven a car in the first place. i couldnt afford a car anyway for a long time here, and i dont need one now. In the states i have a lyft account.
Old 10-14-18, 07:17 PM

I have trouble in parking places
Old 10-21-18, 02:30 PM

I used hypnosis for my driving anxiety. It really helped a lot. Each time I had it done it got better.
Old 10-22-18, 04:47 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I have trouble in parking places

I completly agree with excel. Its even worse when going to a parking building. If i try too many i quickly loose my temper and switch seats, letting my wife or my firends do the parking. Im getting nervous at this really quickly.

For all others situations, it helped me to keep calm. My greatest issues when driving, are cities. Especially in switzerland there is a huge amount of bicycle riders and scooters that drive you crazy by often sneaking at your blindspot or completly ignoring street laws. But at the end of the day im glad having such a overall regulated driving community in this country, that helped me a lot. I was driving in florida too with a ford mustang, but in the city (miami) and overall most of the time i let my wife do it. Wonderously she appreciate driving in the usa more