ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-11, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,979 Times in 12,123 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adhd/learning disability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I have always tried to overcome my own disabities and difficulties too. We can't set our goals to high that they are out of our reach. They have to be attainable, so that we gain self confidence. We don't want to keep loosing our self confidence.
This is what we're trying to teach my grandkids, and have explained to
the teacher and staff at her school that there may be days when she
should be praised simply for coming to school, whether she manages to
do any work while she's there or not. Not everyday of course, but so
that she can gain self-confidence and not feel like a failure.

I'm currently in therapy trying to overcome a lifetime of feeling like my
failures were acknowledged much more often than my successes. I'd
like for my grandkids to have a better basis for self-confidence and good
self-esteem than I had.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
excel (10-13-11)
Old 10-13-11, 02:24 PM

Thanked 1,026 Times in 606 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

That is good!!!!
Old 11-16-13, 07:03 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencer View Post
from ur writing I would say you have dyslexia...I think (I am slightly dyslexic)
However adhd is not an LD just makes learning hard with not being able to focus

Dyslexia is considered to be a Language-based processing disorder but not a LD (only to reading/writting) which is not a representation of IQ/intelligences.

I am SCT and I have to tell you although I see the words perfectly..within 20 sec of reading I have no clue what I read or even miss something important.

I would say that you have a learning disorder instead.
not me. I was never diagnosed as having dyslexia. I just can't type
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 08:04 PM

People generally don't care about those with developmental disabilities. Attitudes need to change
Old 10-15-18, 11:02 PM

Is it true that if you have adhd you have at least one learning disability
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-15-18)
Old 10-15-18, 11:51 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,675 Times in 10,399 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Is it true that if you have adhd you have at least one learning disability
Depends how you define "learning disability".

LDs (including dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia) and dyspraxia and processing problems are very common among people with ADHD. Still, not everyone with ADHD has deficits in these areas (and some people with deficits in these areas might not be classified as having LDs).

Some people lump ADHD in with learning disabilities altogether, and consider ADHD itself to be a type of LD. But the way the US educational and medical systems have historically handled things, they have often been viewed as separate sorts of issues to be handled in different ways (even if there's some overlap or similarity, and research suggests some common areas of difficulty).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-18-18), lisariver (10-16-18)
Old 10-18-18, 06:39 PM

well put
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-18-18)