ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

View Poll Results: Was your ADHD child a high needs baby?
Yes 27 57.45%
No 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-04, 11:23 AM
Jr Member

Traipser is on a distinguished road
Question Was your ADD / ADHD child a high needs baby?

How many considered your child to be a high needs baby, and what did you do to deal with this situation?

My daughter had colic for several months. She screamed for 2-6 hours a day for the first 4 months of her life. She was extremely intense.

I followed the guidance of Sears & Sears for raising her in the early months. I nursed, on demand, for 20 months. I only stopped because I had to go on medication, I had hoped she would wean herself. I let her sleep in the bed with me. I held her constantly when she was upset, and never let her cry it out. I carried her in a front or back pack when she was fussy.

Dr. Sears says if you meet these needs of the child early on, they will be more secure and independant later.

Traipser
Old 10-17-04, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Debs is on a distinguished road
My 13 year old daughter has ADD as a baby she wasn't incredibly high needs but being my first child and being the first grandchild she was super spoiled. Looking back there are a few things I can now see (she was just diagnosed this summer). If we went somewhere and there was a lot of noise or commotion she would have a really hard time when we got home. She would scream for a while just to decompress. Another thing is she never played independently, she had a huge playroom and would get a toy and bring it to where ever I was and play by my feet. She is still exactly like that, she will follow me (or one of her siblings) from room to room just wanting to be around someone. She even calls one fo her siblings into the bathroom to talk while she is going, she can't entertain herself AT ALL!! My second daughter we called the forgotten child, she was so low key and never asked for anything or cried. As a baby we could put her in her baby seat and she would just be happy all the time. My third child is a boy, he was by far my highest needs child. I held this baby 24/7 for two years, I am not exagerating - he slept in my bed and was held every minute of the day by me, no one else would do - he would just cry until he threw up if I wasn't holding him. At the time my oldest was 4 so it was extremely difficult for me, I remember talking to my pediatrician about it and saying that a lesser mother would have shaken him by now - I was so frustrated and exhausted. Around his second birthday he wriggled down off my hip and just walked away, he is now (at 8) the most independent, self sufficiant child you can imagine, it was like he needed two extra years in the womb. Only my oldest child has ADD but she wasn't my highest needs child.
Old 10-18-04, 12:15 PM

Kathi is on a distinguished road
My daughter was perfect in every way! Slept through the night, didn't spit up, was just perfect. My husband and I looked at each other one day and said somethings not right here, she's too good. Then she turned 3 and the adhd set in. Was asked to leave 3 or 4 daycares for biting and other things. She's 8 now and on adderall and doing better, although she still likes to argue!

My Motto: "Live life as if you were dying"
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 11:49 PM
Jr Member

Riss is on a distinguished road
Our son wasn't a terribly needy baby; he did seem to cry a lot in his early months, but he overcame that at about 7 months. He was playful and mischievous with the other kids in daycare but never acted out against any of them (e.g., never bit another child). One thing we did notice pretty early on with our son was that his speech/language didn't seem to develop at the same pace as friends his age.

It was when he about 2.5 - 3 yrs that we started noticing some changes. At that point, he started being aggressive with friends (would hit them) and was unable to sit still. As the years progressed, so did his hyperactivity. He's now 6 and we're currently trying Adderall on him (ritalin didn't work on him).
Old 10-19-04, 05:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

clawless has disabled reputation
I had only just had John and was still in hospital when the nurses changed his name and called him lungs. He could be heard throughout the ward every time he woke up and was not happy until he was having some attention.

I fed him myself for 3 and 1/2 yrs and he was a very demanding baby.

His nanny said she could not wait until he could walk and she is still waiting as he went from crawling straight to running and has not stopped sense.

We thought he was just a lively child, but when he started pre school that's when it really started to show just how hyper he was, he was running rings around everyone and just couldn't stay still not even for story time.

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 10-19-04, 10:36 PM

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Like Clawless, the nurses in the hospital told me on the 2nd day that I was going to have my hands full with this one...boy, were they right. He stopped sleeping during the day at 6 weeks, and averaged about 5 hours a night from that point on. When he wasn't nursing, he was screaming.

I also dealt with him by nursing him for 22 months and by having him in bed with us. As soon as I realized how sensitive he was to crowds, activity, and noise I restricted outings to the minimum. I tried to provide him with a routine that was as comfortable as possible. I also had him thoroughly check out by a pediatrician to make sure there wasn't anything physically wrong with him.

He ended up being diagnosed with ADHD/ODD at age 4 1/2.
Old 10-25-04, 05:09 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
I have an eleven year old that is a spitting image of her Papa. She was high needs as a baby and she is still a high needs kid. She must have breast fed for the first nine months or so. Crying and unhappy we stopped the train and decided not to have a fourth after we had this one.

Through her teens I'm betting things are going to get very interesting indeed.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 10-30-04, 01:54 PM

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,189 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
ADHD child was a dream baby - autistic child was complete nightmare
Old 11-02-04, 05:41 PM
Jr Member

RoseRed has disabled reputation
Amber didn't sleep well, she was up every night. by the time she was 18months old she would climb out of her crib and just 'hang-out'. She'd grab a bottle from the fridge, turn on the television (I had digital cable so the channels were programmed for after I went to bed - thank God!). I'd wake up in the morning (around 6am) to find her empty bottle on the nightstand and her watching Teletubbies.

She didn't start talking until she was about 2 1/2. She still will fall back into her own sign language instead of trying to find the words occaisionally. Now I help her to find the words and she's getting it - YAY!
Old 11-09-04, 12:59 AM

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
My son was the best baby in the world - never cried; slept; was never fussy. Then hubby and I decided to have #2. The powers that be laughed and said:"We'll show you!" My daughter refused to be left with anyone - even her grandmother (the world's best baby calmer) could not deal with her. Her babysitters had to sit through her crying herself to sleep in the dogs bed hugging him. She nursed until she was 16 months old, and even then, I had to be tied down not to give in to her cries. Even to this day, she hides behind me. She was a clingy toddler, a clingy preschooler and a clingy elementary schooler. She is finally outgrowing it. And I am forever amazed at how far she has come - especially when I consider she could have turned out like me - as in the undiagnosed one all through my school years. She is growing into herself much faster than i ever did.....
Baruch Spinoza

Old 11-16-04, 01:01 PM

momof3boys is on a distinguished road
My ADHD son was our first so at the time I didnt' consider him high needs but looking back now, I see it! Like someone else said, after we'd get home from somewhere noisy or lots of stuff going on, it took him a while to decompress and he usually did this by crying. He had major colic too! 4 hours a day he'd just scream! He also had an intolerance to regular milk products. Didnt' figure this out until he was about 4 months old. That was tough. By the time we switched him over to soy formula he got better but not great. Still some colic. But yes, I would consider him high needs now.
Old 12-17-04, 03:25 PM
Jr Member

Tresmom is on a distinguished road
No Trevor was a very easy baby, not much crying, slept well at night.

Samantha
Old 12-17-04, 03:50 PM

teddy is on a distinguished road
My oldest son was an excellent baby..never fussed, slept through the night, early on; But was a terrible baby when riding in carseat or stroller...much preferred to be laying down, like in a baby buggy.

My self my mother said: I was the collicy baby from h...l..Poor Mom.. I am ADHD and so are my sons..so don't know that this has much impact on if this is a sign of early on ADD symptoms.
Old 12-17-04, 07:17 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Well she was a high needs baby for the month that she had colic. I thought neither of us would ever get any rest again but that passed.

Always she has had a problem with social skills. She was never aggressive. More often she was a victim of aggression, but she needed very specific instructions to do anything and was a really slow at tasks. She was a real Momma's girl and I had lots of patience and love to give her. We are still very good friends.

BTW, I didn't realize that both of us were ADD until shortly before she graduated high school, with honors.

Would I do it over? You bet!
Old 12-18-04, 08:25 PM

reusablepheonix is on a distinguished road
yes a high needs daughter.
@ months preemee
Birth defective ( intestines on the outside)
mostly deaf
on a feeding tube for the first 6 months.
grand mal siezers
underdeveloped nervouse system, eye nerves, and motor skills.
many food allergies.
9 years old and so tiny she still wears clothes 5 year old clothes.
her brain is ok, only one year behind in her school.

Maybe due to myself working around liquid Teflon for a few years, the chemicals involved have been discontinued, since the rats in the scientific study had the same type problems. I am in the middle of organizing a lawsuit and searching for others with the same problems who worked with luquid teflon.
space cadet, absentminded, slob,messy hair, unshaven, wrinkled clothes, quiet, memory deficent ,unemotional, book worm, disorganized, slow, clumsy, chronically tired, brain on overdrive, slurred speech,internet addict, phone phobic, social phobic,ex-fundy, exchristian, atheist, scientist,poor vocabulary,introverted,day dreamer,musician, bad credit,yet still peaceful & happy with a positive attitude