ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-05-09, 01:02 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of
Question Neurofeedback, braingym, cogmed, learning breakthrough...

Neurofeedback / biofeedback / neurotherapy
Brain Gym
Learning Breakthrough
Cogmed

I am researching all of these things to see if they might be appropriate (and affordable!) for my son. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Any other programs people have found helpful? Thanks!
Old 11-05-09, 02:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neurofeedback, braingym, cogmed, learning breakthrough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleMama View Post
Neurofeedback / biofeedback / neurotherapy
Brain Gym
Learning Breakthrough
Cogmed

I am researching all of these things to see if they might be appropriate (and affordable!) for my son. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Any other programs people have found helpful? Thanks!
None of these have been validated as an effective treatment for ADHD. Neurofeedback has some indications of possibly being something worthwhile but the jury is still out.

Now some will be helped by any of the programs if for no other reason than the attention involved. I would recommend caution if they are very expensive.

You have to balance the cost vs possible results. If you have the discretionary income to spend, they probably will not hurt and could help. "You pays your money and takes your chances" is generally what you are looking at.

A small note: The Cogmed program is connected with David Rabiner. He is a respected researcher and if nothing else, he is not likely to be involved in a "Snake Oil" product. However, as he will freely admit, Cogmed is still a work in progress and needs more research.

He has some good articles on his web site. Here is a link to his web site map..
http://www.helpforadd.com/site-map.html

He also has a good article on the status of neurofeedback.
http://www.helpforadd.com/2007/september.htm

I was cautious about him at first as he was pushing a product but I have developed respect for his work.

Keep on researching. Knowledge is the key to dealing with ADHD

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
MuscleMama (11-06-09)
Old 11-05-09, 06:13 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

Nintendo Brain Age and Lumosity are similar to Cogmed and more affordable. I heard Russell Barkely speak back in September and he suggested saving a bit of money and trying out Nintendo Brain Age instead of Cogmed. He also said that studies showed that Cogmed has the most boring using interface compared to other Working Memory Training Software Programs.

I also heard that Lumosity had similar results to Cogmed. However I don't remember if the research was done on the general population or if it was ADHD Specific.
MuscleMama (11-06-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-09, 06:52 PM

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,847 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

Another one to add to your list is interactive metronome. There is one study that looks promising:

http://www.mcnattlearningcenter.com/...m/files/IM.pdf

(This was the only link I could find that reproduced the entire article.)

Here is the link to interactive metonome:

http://www.interactivemetronome.com/IMPublic/Home.aspx

Our insurance covers this if provided by an occupational therapist. I've heard it costs $1,500-$2000 if paid out-of-pocket but can't confirm. I'd love to do it, but my son might be a bit too young to get most out of it. Also, it needs to be done at least three times a week for a total of at least 15 sessions. Scheduling nightmare! Maybe next summer...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
MuscleMama (11-06-09)
Old 11-06-09, 08:32 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

A very good and science based analysis of alternative treatments can be found at The National Resource Center on AD/HD: Funded by the CDC, it is the nation's
clearinghouse for science-based information about all aspects of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD). http://www.help4adhd.org/ (home page)

And the article on complementary and alternative treatments, how to judge:
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatmen...lementary/WWK6

Good information for those trying to evaluate alternative treatments.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (06-10-11), MuscleMama (11-06-09)
Old 11-06-09, 12:34 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Thanks, guys - good feedback We have a Nintendo DS, so trying out BrainAge/Lumosity is definitely doable.

I spoke to a local Dr (Needham) who does neurotherapy and really liked what she had to say and her approach - HOWEVER it would cost about $5500 for the full program! That simply isn't an option for us.

I spoke to a Dr in Braintree who has moved from doing neuropsych evals and counseling to exclusively working with cogmed and his program is $1500. It specifically targets working memory which does seem to be an issue for my son.

I am going to attend a free presentation at a neurofeedback center in Providence in a couple of weeks to learn more about it, but I'm sure the cost will be prohibitive.

I believe a local OT does the interactive metronome program so I will read up on that.

I wonder if it's possible to find any research studies where my son could get involved and receive free treatment. Boston isn't too far away, I will see what I can find (if anything). I also wonder if practitioners need to get so many hours of training before becoming certified and if we could work with someone that way for free. Hmmm...

The Learning Breakthrough program is only $400 to buy the kit and you do it at home, but I wonder if it will be a constant struggle to get my son to do it. My younger son doesn't have adhd, but does have gross motor delays and could probably benefit from it, too. Their website says they recently were endorsed by the Hallowell Centers, any thoughts on that? (I wonder if I could find it being resold on Ebay!) I do think my son(s) could benefit from the physical movement and potential motor improvements.

So many things to research and consider!
Old 11-06-09, 02:03 PM
Forum Guru

From DizFriz's link above http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatmen...lementary/WWK6

Interactive Metronome Training
Interactive Metronome Training is a relatively new intervention for individuals with AD/HD. The Interactive Metronome (IM) is a computerized version of a simple metronome -- i.e. what musicians use to "keep the beat" -- and produces a rhythmic beat that individuals attempt to match with hand or foot tapping. Auditory feedback is provided, which indicates how well the individual is matching the beat. It is suggested that improvement in matching the beat over repeated sessions reflects gains in motor planning and timing skills.
The rationale behind IM training is that motor planning and timing deficits are common in children with AD/HD and are related to problems with behavioral inhibition that some experts believe are critical to understanding the disorder. In addition, these deficits are alleviated by stimulant medication treatment. Thus, it is plausible that interventions to improve motor timing and planning abilities directly, such as IM training, could also be helpful to children with AD/HD. There is no evidence that motor in-coordination is related to behavioral inhibition.
To date, there has been a single study of IM training for boys with AD/HD.15 This was a well-conducted study with appropriate control groups, and the results indicated that boys who received IM training showed improvements in a wide range of areas. Thus, this intervention appears to be promising.
Additional research using IM training in individuals with AD/HD is necessary, however, before the value of this approach can be known with greater certainty.

Also, that page linked to a page specifically about neurofeedback
http://help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6A

Further Research Needed Neurofeedback continues to be an intervention that generates much interest and attention from both researchers and consumers alike. While there is enough evidence to warrant its continued study as a possible intervention to reduce AD/HD symptoms, current research does not support conclusive claims about its efficacy. Based on the available evidence and the cost involved, parents and others should continue to exercise caution if considering neurofeedback as an intervention for themselves or their child.

And the Lumosity website looks very interesting (and affordable)
http://www.lumosity.com/info/home
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-24-09)
Old 11-06-09, 03:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Vickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of light

To look for ADHD clinicals go to: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=adhd
There is a neurofeedback study in the Netherlands and there was a computer base treatment trial at Tufts in Boston but it is complete. You might contact them and see if data will be coming out soon or if they are planning a similar trial.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vickie For This Useful Post:
MuscleMama (11-07-09)
Old 11-24-09, 12:07 PM
Forum Guru

We attended the neurofeedback presentation last week and got input from his pediatrician and therapists and have decided to give it a try. Our insurance will cover most of the preliminary testing so we will just need to pay for the sessions ourselves, which while not cheap, is doable. I was very impressed with Dr. Laurence Hirshberg at the NeuroDevelopment Center in Providence, RI - he went over a lot of science and research during his presentation which jived with what I have been researching and learning myself. He didn't promise a miracle cure, but said they do see measurable improvement in about 80% of cases, often quite significant.

My son seems to be taking a slight turn for the worse lately and I'm worried about him.

If anyone is interested, I was thinking I could start a new thread and post about the experience as we go along.

Here is the website of the NDC: www .neurodevelopmentcenter.com

They also provide Cogmed memory training and said the company is considering a new pricing structure - they're offering it for $800 (compared to $1500). Makes it a much more affordable option.

Last edited by Lady Lark; 11-24-09 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 11-24-09, 12:19 PM
Contributor

river09 will become famous soon enough

this looks interesting...haven't tried, but who knows.
EFT...emotional freedom therapy

Last edited by Lady Lark; 11-24-09 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: removed weblink
Old 11-24-09, 01:04 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by river09 View Post
this looks interesting...haven't tried, but who knows.
EFT...emotional freedom therapy
Interesting, but I don't think 'unresolved emotional issues' are the main cause of my 8 y/o's ADHD. While I do believe there is a 'connection between your body's subtle energies, your emotions, and your health', I don't see how this type of therapy is going to effect the neurodevelopmental change we're hoping for.

Last edited by Lady Lark; 11-24-09 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: removed weblink from quote
Old 11-24-09, 07:33 PM

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,847 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If anyone is interested, I was thinking I could start a new thread and post about the experience as we go along.
I'd be interested.
Old 11-24-09, 09:30 PM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I hope it proves beneficial.

I recall we've had some interesting & informative dialogue on this topic in the not too

distant past.

For the record, the only true evidence based treatments ( as of today) are meds, behavior

management and a combination of the 2.

The neurofeedback research is very intriguing and I ( as in IMO) think it holds some

possible promise.

At any rate, I wish all of you much good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-25-09)
Old 11-24-09, 09:39 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 883 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

MuscleMama, it would definitely be cool if you had a running thread somewhere here about your experience with the NFB as you go along with it with your child. I did that with some of the movement-based therapies my son and I did, and it not only helps others who are looking for more information about a therapy, but it helps to look back and see the progress made along the way. If you wanted member feedback along the way, you could post a thread, or if you were not aware, we have the blog feature here that you could keep just your posts and other can comment on your entries, or you could do a journal thread (I think it's farther down on the sections page) where you can have a running thread of only your posts, and members only can read it-I belive non-members cannot access that feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
MuscleMama (11-24-09)
Old 11-26-09, 03:38 PM
Forum Guru

I've been reading thru some older threads about neurofeedback and found a link to this 3/09 article by David Rabiner which I thought was good:

New Study Supports Neurofeedback Treatment for ADHD
http://www.sharpbrains.com/blog/2009...ment-for-adhd/

I keep coming back to the phrase "cautiously optimistic" when talking about this with family and friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-26-09)