ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-13-12, 09:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute
CYP2D6 and ADHD drugs

So, I've been thinking about different drugs that have an effect on me. It seems I metabolise a lot of ADHD drugs fairly quickly.
And I don't tend to have bad side effects from many to most drugs. They generally affect my balance and appetite and have a headache but that's about it: the most common side effects.

So I've been thinking about why vyvanse and dexamphetamine have different effects on me. Vyvanse lingers a lot in my system, dex doesn't.

Reading this from Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2D6
Quote:
For example, if CYP2D6 converts a drug that has a strong effect into a substance that has a weaker effect, than poor metabolizers (weak CYP2D6 function) will have an exaggerated response to the drug and stronger side-effects; conversely, if CYP2D6 converts a different drug into a substance that has a greater effect than its parent chemical, then extensive metabolizers (strong CYP2D6 function) will have an exaggerated response to the drug and stronger side-effects.[3]
I don't have exaggerated responses so it appears possible that I may be an extensive metaboliser? As many to most drugs will go from strong to weaker.
And that's what happens with me and many drugs, start off well, then dissipate really quickly. So is this likely?

I also tend not to have hangovers. Alcohol affects my balance quite quickly (hmm, like many psychiatric drugs hmm). Mixing Strattera and drinking gave me one of the worst hangovers of my life.

Venlafaxine was one drug that made me feel the worst and I know it's a drug with a fairly short half life and discontinuation symptoms occur after one missed dose for very many, including me.
How could that affect a quick metaboliser? I was feeling ill without having missed doses.

Then there are substances that inhibit CYP2D6. I'm trying to figure out whether lysine inhibits CYP2D6.
If lysine inhibits CYP2D6 (I'm getting tired of typing that out,from now on I'm calling it liverium), then could it perhaps potentiate the action of vyvanse, making it linger and linger and linger and linger and it's fine at the beginning but gets worse and worse?

Yes, I'm aware that there are other enzymes that act in liver and have unforeseen consequences.
This just seems intriguing and a possible clue?

I started going down this line of thinking after trying to figure out whether lofepramine might work for me. It's been prescribed and I've had varied effect from other antidepressants. SSRIs and their ilk do very little for me.

I'm still trying to get my head around a comparison of serotonin inhibitors, noradrenaline and dopamine inhibitors and will post about that some other time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressant#Comparison