ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 05-25-17, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,328 Times in 12,683 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suddenly huge sleep problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i kinda adapted to her for a while, but kept up the routine itself. so, like, she always has gotten last meal--play/stories--bath--massage--pajamas--song--bassinet/crib.

but we adjusted the bath to be when she started yawning/eye rubbing. which was sometimes earlier sometimes later.

we gave her a plush hippo, medium sized jellycat one, at about the age fuzzling is. we moved her into her own room around eleven months (had planned to wait until one year, but we kept waking each other up). she went without incident.

i didn't put cereal in the bottle, we did baby led weaning, and i always put her down on her back (though she would turn herself over about half the time once she was able...and then she stopped being swaddled), we used this sleep sack thing to keep her warm instead of a blanket until she was about one. she's 26 months and still has no pillow, though i'm getting her one within the next month.

i will say this though, so take all of the above for what you will: i'm told that i have a very easy baby with most things, and i think it's probably true. if i'd had a colicky baby or just a less "easy" one, i'm sure i'd've adjusted as needed.

we did and do give her a dummy/paci. she only uses it for naps and overnights, and she's got to give it up this summer when my husband is off school, and that's maybe going to suck.

hope that helps. xx
We do most things the same..I'd have loved to do baby led weaning but just wasn't brave enough. She does get a lot of finger foods and a lot of variety in her food and we only did purees for a week or so but I hold my breath every time she picks up a segment of cocktail tomato ( 1/6 th of a cocktail tomato ). She loves them though. Cocktail tomatoes and blueberries are hee current favourites. She loves all fingerfood so I'm trying to be more adventurous and a bit more brave.

I just got her a comforter. Its neither cuddly nor is it very interesting but it's supposed to be super safe. It basically looks like a dog made from a cellular blanket. Oh well..

I'm not sure if she ks an easy baby. Compared to the other babies I know probably not. Thankfully she was never really colicky but she is definitely not easy going...

At least she's a happy and healthy baby right now. I've finally stopped worrying about her weight gain, her eczema is better and all the other half dozen tests she's had have all turned out to be perfectly fine. And she smiles and laughs a lot so it's all good.

I so hope though she wont be up again in an hour. If she is maybe we'll finally do our reading of goodnight moon then.

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 05-25-17 at 04:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (05-25-17)
Old 05-25-17, 04:50 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Today she went absolutely hyper again..I didn't wait this tome but took her out from the cot fairly quickly and we played for another hour. Actually almost 2 hours. Totally messed that up. When I finally started putting her to bed she just crashed. Couldn't wake her. I tried going through the whole routine because I wanted her to fall asleep in the cot and not on me but no chance. She was too tired. Couldn't keep her eyes open during good night moon. Poor lil thing. So now I feel horrible for keeping her up that long and I'm annoyed that I didn't get her to fall asleep in her cot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (05-28-17), peripatetic (05-25-17)
Old 05-28-17, 07:04 PM

Things aren't better. It seems like we've got a new bed time routine:

Do old bedtime routine

Put fuzzling in her cot

Fuzzling goes hyper

Remove fizzling from her cot after a while and let her play for a bit more

When fuzzling starts looking tired or gets cranky do a reduced version of her routine and then put her back in her cot (mostly asleep).

Most nights also she's waking up now almost every 1.5-2h. I'm absolutely shattered. Fuzzling seems mostly happy so maybe her waking doesn't trouble her.

My eyes are closing so I need yo stop now though I had lots to write
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (05-28-17), peripatetic (05-28-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 09:24 PM

Thanked 30,785 Times in 13,806 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

hey fuzzy...i hope you're getting some sleep right now.

have you tried pushing back her bedtime a bit? we try waiting until the small girl starts in with eye rubbing/yawning before we do the bath.

maybe trying to adjust the timing would help?

hopefully it'll even out soon and she'll sleep more. if she seems to be doing fine mood wise, can your partner take a shift overnight so you can get some rest?

xx
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-28-17)
Old 05-28-17, 10:07 PM

Quote:
hey fuzzy...i hope you're getting some sleep right now.

have you tried pushing back her bedtime a bit? we try waiting until the small girl starts in with eye rubbing/yawning before we do the bath.

maybe trying to adjust the timing would help?

hopefully it'll even out soon and she'll sleep more. if she seems to be doing fine mood wise, can your partner take a shift overnight so you can get some rest?

xx

Thanks peri. We've tried both. Bringing her bedtime forward and pushing it back. She's definitely tired. Rubbing her eyes, yawning, etc. Today when I was feeding her she almost fell asleep but then perked up again when I topped her up with some formula. We've tried to cut out the formula (and everything else after breastfeedjng) with no success. Latest by the time I put her in her cot she is suddenly wide awake again.

I think.there are several problems here and I'm not sure if they are related or not.

1. Bedtime hyperactivity and just not settling down to sleep

2. Waking up too frequently (too frequently to be due to hunger even though feeding her is the easiest and quickest way to get her to sleep again)

3. Separation anxiety. Not sure if this isn't the same as or related to 1 or 2 but tonight she's woken up screaming every time (properly screaming not just crying. Can babies have nightmares??) Just now I fed her and when putting her back in her cot she started crying everytime I removed my hand. She was fine as long as my hand was on her. I finally managed to gradually remove my hand.

I think for point 1 I need to retrain a new bed time routine. She needs again something new to associate with sleeping and for some reason the old bedtime routine isn't doing it for her. Last time it took me months though to get that routine working. Also most steps in it are fairly natural and what I'd be doing anyway (topping and tailing, feeding, etc) ...

What's not helping I think. Is that her nap times are totally screwed up. I've just got too much to do. I am having to go to the vet every day among other things and if we are doing 2 things in a day one of her naps invariably gets screwed (delayed or interrupted). I don't think this has caused the problems as the problems started before this but i don't think it's helping.

Hubby does attend to her sometimes mostly in the evening or early morning but it takes him forever to settle her. Also, when he does she's usually up within an hour again, which made me thought she's genuinely hungry but now she's started waking up shortly after being fed as well.

We are thinking of switching sides so that hubby sleeps next to her (in case Maybe smelling or seeing me makes her want to feed) and having hubby attend to most of her wakings with me just feeding her every 4h or so.

It's also a million degrees right now which I'm sure isn't helping but again this isn't the cause of the problems. When it's cooler she does the same thing.

I better get some sleep now before she wakes up again. Thanks guys for belong me figure this out.
peripatetic (05-28-17)
Old 05-28-17, 10:20 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

do you use a dummy/paci?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-29-17)
Old 05-28-17, 11:08 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Hi Fuzzy12

Your health is as equally important in the relationship with your daughter's health.

Especially, if your daughter seems fairly happy, do not feel guilty to ask for some help from other family members that you trust, so you can get a good rest now and again, that is what your husband and other family members are for.

The emotional love you are already giving her is more important developmentally, than keeping any routine.

(mildadhd runs away quickly)
Fuzzy12 (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 06:07 AM

Quote:
do you use a dummy/paci?
No dummy. We considered using a dummy at some point but I kept.forgetting about it and now I think there might be no point considering that soon we'd have to wean her off the dummy anyway.
peripatetic (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Hi Fuzzy12

Your health is as equally important in the relationship with your daughter's health.

Especially, if your daughter seems fairly happy, do not feel guilty to ask for some help from other family members that you trust, so you can get a good rest now and again, that is what your husband and other family members are for.

The emotional love you are already giving her is more important developmentally, than keeping any routine.

(mildadhd runs away quickly)
Aww..thanks. we've got family coming over soon (someone or the other is always visiting with us...) and while they are extremely helpful they can't help with sleep problems. Well, they would probably be happy to take her at night but right now she expects to be breastfed when she wakes up at night. If it's out of hunger or habit or for comfort we don't know.

The only reason why I'm so keen on a routine is because I think a routine will help her to fall asleep more easily and to stay asleep. The current situation just isn't good long term because it means she isn't going to bed when she is tired, she becomes overtired and then finally crashes out. This can't be healthy.

And it's frustrating for me too because I don't know.anymore when she is going to sleep or if she's going to sleep apart from that it's exhausting trying to.put her to sleep. Add to that the frequent night wakings...
Old 05-29-17, 07:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,893 Times in 13,072 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Routine was THE most important thing that worked for my kids once I figured out their sleep habits. When the kids were about 5 and under their bedtimes were always 730. They woke up early, like 6 am but it was worth it to have them go to sleep so easily. When we would do things and go places we made it clear that their bedtimes dictated out plans with the exception of like christmas or something big. I had to wait and learn what routine worked for them which is why before I wrote all that other stuff about how I got my son to sleep and all that. One used to love the bath-story-cuddle routine, one loved just cuddles but all of them loved singing. I would go from room to room and sing songs. I love to sing and have a minor in theater so they learned to go to sleep on classic rock like James Taylor or musicals.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-29-17), Little Missy (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 10:39 AM

Totally agree with you. Routine is key.

For a few months our routine worked like a charm but now it's suddenly not. I had to first figure out her sleepiness patterns though and then get her used to the routine so that she'd associate the steps wlth bedtime.

Now something has changed and and u can't figure out what. The routine just isn't working anymore.

I think one big mistake we did was to not have a fixed bed time. Well qhen we started I akways started the routine at 9pm because it seemed that's when she finally finished clusterfeeding and was ready to sleep. Then I slowly brought it forward to sometime between 8pm and 9pm. That worked really well for quite a while but I thought that's still a bit late and tried to shift before 8pm. Maybe thst was the mistake. Another mistake was maybe to not have an exact bedtime. It was sometime between 7 and 9pm finally mostly depending on when she had her last nap and dinner.

Then last month when mil was here and we went on holiday her nap times got a bit messed up as well. Right now I'm do busy with having to go to the vet, hospital appointments and checking out nurseries tgat her naps are still not regular. She naps every 2h so it's really difficult to work around that. I try very hard not to delay her first nap but the second is more difficult.

So this us her current routine.

Dinner
Play for 10-60min depending on how tired she seems and how much time there is

Bath (twice a week unless she has soiled herself. We Don't bathe her every day because of her dry skin and also because it's a huge operation. I don't know how people do it. Here it's a 2 man job)

Vitamins and brush teeth

Say good night to hubby and whoever else is at home

Top her (ie clean her face etc

Moisturise and quick leg massage with a particular song

Breastfeed and top up with formula though she rarely has more than 30ml.

Burp her while walking with her and singing a couple more songs

Read 2 books

Put her in the cot

Sometimes pat and shush her for a few minutes

Now at this point she used to play and babble in the cot for 5-10 min and then fall asleep after which I'd leave the room

Now at some point after breastfeedjng she goes hyper. It doesn't matter how tired she us and how much she's rubbing her eyes etc latest wj3n she hits the cot she's hyper. I can usually mark the point because she sort if straightens or sits up like a meerkat abd starts babbling.

In trying to put her to bed earlier and earlier in case it's overtiredNess but I'm a bit restricted because we just run out of time. On weekdays I'm also quite keen for her to have some time to play with hubby after he comes back from because otherwise she won't see him at all. Or sometimes she naps late or takes forever for dinner.

Anyway the earliest I've tried starting the routine is at 6.30pm. Around 7pm she was in her cot..but still went hyper.

Also she doesn't get up that early. Usually between 7-8.30am. So I don't want to put her to bed too early.

peripatetic (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 10:44 AM

you didn't mention lighting, but one thing we do with the small girl is after her bath, she goes into her room and the lights are very low. we even have blackout curtains for her room.

i know fuzzling has eczema concerns, so i understand no daily bath. have you tried regulating the temperature in her room to "mimic" coming out of a bath into a cooler space with dim lighting?

really, though, fuzzy...i think you're doing a LOT and just keep that in mind. babies sometimes just don't do what we expect or what they've let us come to expect. you're possibly feeling at the end of your rope with this, but you're doing great. you really are
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-29-17), mildadhd (05-29-17), stef (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 03:41 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Hi Fuzzy12

Sorry I did not mean to discourage important routine.

Just that when the mother is distressed the baby distressed.

I am big on promoting taking care of the mothers, just like taking care of the babies.

I get a lot of negative feedback on the topic, and I wonder why the negative feedback is not directed at social issues that could help more.

I think our societies in general could focus on doing a lot more to help mothers.

I apologies, if I seemed to be implying that you do not have the help you need, since you do have the help.

I know a lot of mothers that do not.

It is great you have the help you need, when needed.

M
Fuzzy12 (05-29-17)
Old 05-30-17, 08:56 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

I have to say...I didn't do any of this stuff. I put her in her bouncy until she fell asleep, waited 10 minutes to make sure she was good and asleep, moved her to her crib WHILE SHE WAS ASLEEP and left the tv on low.

Have you tried rocking with her until she is asleep and then laying her in her cot while she is asleep with some background noise like a TV?
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 10:04 AM

Quote:
you didn't mention lighting, but one thing we do with the small girl is after her bath, she goes into her room and the lights are very low. we even have blackout curtains for her room.

i know fuzzling has eczema concerns, so i understand no daily bath. have you tried regulating the temperature in her room to "mimic" coming out of a bath into a cooler space with dim lighting?

really, though, fuzzy...i think you're doing a LOT and just keep that in mind. babies sometimes just don't do what we expect or what they've let us come to expect. you're possibly feeling at the end of your rope with this, but you're doing great. you really are
Hmm...I wonder if that's the problem. Now that the days are getting longer and longer it's still bright when I put her to bed. We don't have black out curtains.

Our bedroom is one of the warmer rooms in the house and Last week we had a massive heatwave. I let her sleep in just her nappy in her sleep bag but it was still hot. I don't think this caused the hyperactivity problem but it might be worth trying to cool down the room a bit first. We've got this stupid problem with wasps because of all the trees behind our house so I don't open the windows as much as I should

I know babies aren't as rule based as I like them to be. Sigh... I'm not really upset. I just would like her to sleep better so that we are both in better shape. Well yesterday I was super upset because fuzzling went hyper while I was feeding her and she bit me badly. After that my nipples were do sore that I just didn't have a milk letdown
and she was really hungry. We were both in tears so hubby took over and rocked her to sleep. I felt so bad about making her go to bed hungry and I was super frustrated.

And just before that I was thinking that I'm actually doing a surprisingly decent job with the whole mum thing...
peripatetic (05-30-17)