ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 09-23-17, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,432 Times in 12,712 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I think my daughter is DEFINITELY bipolar now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
After 14 hours in the crisis unit we got her into a really good place. She says she didnt want to hurt herself or die but it doesnt matter because it was impulsive. Thank God I put a lock on my medicine cabinet, I didnt know she had melatonion in her room. We had to follow medical transport there but it was such a better vibe than the place from awhile ago. We met with the clinican and doctor and it was 1am! Nice people. Wont switch up her meds without our express permission. Its meant for short term so right now the insurance approved 7 days. Beautiful campus that offered pet therapy and art therapy and structure, even the weekends. Honestly, I feel great today. I havent felt so worry free in a long time. I was able to sleep without any underlying fear. Especially since the place was so welcoming and not interested in keeping her, but interested in getting her well. I told the doctor she said she didnt need to be there and the doctor said she has heard that a zillion times from teens. Either way she needs to know that these types of things warrant immediate serious responses no matter what the reason she says it is. I feel really good about the whole thing, and relieved. Does that make me a bad mother? To be relieved that she is in a hospital and not at home? I dont know but the events of the last few days have been so hard for me. The worse part was the ER they do not move fast and I deserve an award for being so patient when I am not a patient person.
She is getting the care she needs and that is why you are relieved. Keeping her at home when she needs professional help would not be in her best interest.

Im glad things are looking up. Phew.
Old 09-25-17, 08:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,938 Times in 13,093 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Went and visited Becca yesterday. She is doing well. She still thinks she doesnt need to be there but she took a bottle of pills so regardless the bipolar is not giving her healthy coping skills. Average length of stay is 5-7 days so she thinks she is getting out in 5 days but I told her that if she isnt ready it will be longer. A great facility. they had pet therapy and art and music therapy so they arent sitting around watching tv all day. Very structured and this week its more structured. They dont keep them locked up like prisoners which is good. They have gym and out door time. Its a good fit for her. She should be assigned a clinician today and we will have to set up a family meeting.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-25-17), Caco3girl (10-02-17), Fuzzy12 (09-25-17), Little Missy (09-29-17), Lunacie (09-25-17), midnightstar (10-08-17), namazu (09-25-17), peripatetic (09-25-17)
Old 09-28-17, 09:29 PM

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,079 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Just the opposite: your relief that your daughter is being diagnosed and treated is a sign of a loving and attentive mother. Sometimes our loved ones--heck sometimes we ourselves--need the treatment and break from life that hospitalization brings.

She's not safe at home right now--that's why you're relieved. She needs the help of the hospitalization and the services that the hospital can bring.

I hope you can give yourself major credit, Sarah. I can't tell you the number of stories I have heard in which parents and spouses and friends were in denial about a partner's troubling condition ... they were in a type of denial.

You are so far away from denial. That's good mothering!

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-28-17), Caco3girl (10-02-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 07:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

"The Becca show"

Update:
Been going to Partial for a week taking the van transport. She says she is cleared to drive and I told her over my dead body for now.
She is making some progress with meds- up to 100g of lamictal and staying at 30 of cymbalta and vistaril for anxiety.
I think she seems a little more level.
Oh but lets not forget...
She shaved half her head with her friend on our deck. Broke up with the boyfriend and pierced her septum.

AHEM:Hair- dont give a sh*t about would have been nice to know it was coming but it grows back.
Boyfriend: He is not a bad guy but not equipped emotionally to handle her and really, no 20 year old would be. They are going to "talk soon". She can date him all she wants as long as its in my living room or on my deck, because anywhere else is off limits so we will see.
She was told over and over no piercings or tattoos til your 18, please wait you might change your mind. She turns 18 in Feb, but she did it herself and a friend had one of those rings and she managed to hide it for 2 days by tucking it. Hubby stepped in and took it from here in addition to whatever instrument she used and we got rid of it,

Truly I am not that off put over the piercing cause you can hide it but it still has to be done safe in an enviroment that medically specializes in it. Rules are rules.
She told her sister that when she turns 18 she has friends she can go live with.
I told her thats fine, I would never throw her out but her car and iphone are in my name so I hope her fantasies of crashing with friends involve them paying for everything she needs.

All the rash changes are indicative of that impulsive mania part of bipolar which I TOTALLY GET its just so much energy on top of trying to heal from my surgery which I shoukd have just put off. I let her work at the haunted house with her sister and brother because ironically being around a bunch of theater kids who like to scare people is the most normal she has had in a while.
I am trying to stay strong and hold the lines. and we are being the monkey on her back with spies everywhere. I *think* its a little better but I am afraid to say for sure.

pic below- half shaved head girl is my darling Becca.
http://sm.uploads.im/t/O0Epw.jpg

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-08-17), midnightstar (10-08-17), stef (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 07:07 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,335 Times in 11,198 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation

Sarah you're a wonderful mum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
stef (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 12:32 PM

Thanked 23,689 Times in 10,953 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah, of course you had to have your surgery. You have to take care of you
in order to take care of your family.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 01:01 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,559 Times in 8,798 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

So much to handle on top of trying to juggle self-care along with surgery after-care. May it all smooth out and everyone find the relief they most need. Hugs heading your way.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
stef (10-08-17)
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Sarah, I am just now seeing this post. So, forgive me for being a little late to the show. To be honest, I have kind of been avoiding this part of the board. Another post led me here. After reading about your daughter and all that you have been through with her, I feel compelled to respond.

You are not alone. I can wholeheartedly empathize with what you are going through. My daughter, Mia, who is 22 now, was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder around the age of 15. Now I realize that isn't the same thing as being Bipolar, but from what I have read the 2 disorders are often confused with one another because they are quite similar. Plus, some of what you have shared of your experiences with Becca, I can absolutely say "I have been there. I understand."

Mia was an impulsive teenager, somewhat of a risk-taker, rebellious... which I realize could apply to a lot of teenagers. However, with my daughter most everything was taken to the extreme. Sneaking out at night. Skipping school. Running away. There were at least 2 instances where the police were involved. When I told her no to getting gauges, she went ahead got a pair from a friend and shoved them in herself.

She became addicted to smoking weed. I know people have different views about this, and I know it does have medicinal properties. Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with it, - to each his own. However, if something, anything, becomes an addiction, to the point someone feels they cannot function in life without it, and they take unnecessary risks to get it (she actually gave a drug dealer our address once so that he could deliver to her!) then it is a problem. Oh, and let's not forget the amount of cash flow it takes to keep a daily addiction such as hers going. To top it off, it happens to be illegal where we live. So, yeah, for her it's risky behavior.

Her mood-swings were severe, sporadic. Sometimes turning into destructive fits of rage. Often there was nothing I could do or say that would help. Just had to ride it out. She was not only destructive to things around her, she was self-destructive. During one fit she began banging her head on the dashboard of our car. She would scratch herself. Pull her hair. And, she was a cutter. This is something she was able to hide from me for a very long time. Her bouts of depression were debilitating. Her self-loathing ran deep, and her anxiety ran high. Coping with change, or the unknown, has always been extremely difficult for her. I would say it is one of her biggest triggers.

At the age of 14, it really came to a head. During that year, I had her in at least three different facilities trying to find the help she needed. She was prescribed 3 different medicines. I cannot recall the names, but one was for depression, one was for anxiety, and the other was for her aggression. Mia fought me the whole way. She would not work with her counselor or try to apply anything she had learned from her therapy sessions. Soon I realized she wasn't even taking her prescriptions. She was only pretending to take them. She had saved them up, put them in a baggie, and hid them. Then when she decided to take them, she tried to "make up for it" by taking more then she was supposed to, and ended up telling me because she felt funny. Thank goodness she did! I felt so dumb!

So, for a while watching my teenage daughter became my full-time job. I mean, yes, parenting is a 24/7 job, but I'm talking about ALL my energy, ALL of my attention, ALL my time, ALL my focus, it was ALL on her. I did not leave her side. It was rough for a while. Emotionally draining. I couldn't even sleep much, because there were times when I did nod off she would see it as an opportunity to sneak out and take my car to meet a friend in the middle of the night.

Her father was pretty much out of the picture and when he did decide to come around he went against everything I was trying to do for her. He countered me all the way and refused to help, both emotionally or financially. Thank goodness I had the support of my parents. Although, it came to a point in which they were not able to deal with Mia at all. They were able to help me with my son though. It still saddens me to think of how much time I lost with my son during all of this.

You mentioned feeling as if you have failed in the parenting department. I have often felt this way too. As long as we are doing our best to help and be there for our children, then we are not failures. We may not always get the results we want. But, if we have done our best, we shouldn't consider ourselves to be failures. Not trying at all would be failing. I have to remind myself of this.

I tried desperately to help my daughter. Unfortunately, as I described, she fought me every step of the way. I did try though. I did my best. Now that she is an adult I don't feel as much responsibility to keep her on track. Doesn't take the worry away though. I will always worry.

Please know you are not alone. I feel for you, I really do. I tend to overshare at times, but I honestly wanted you to see that there is someone else out there that understands on some level what you are dealing with. From what I can tell, you are a wonderful mother and you are doing all you can. Hang in there. ((hugs))
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (Today), Little Missy (Today), Lunacie (Today), peripatetic (Yesterday), stef (Today)
Old Today, 08:31 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
Sarah, I am just now seeing this post. So, forgive me for being a little late to the show. To be honest, I have kind of been avoiding this part of the board. Another post led me here. After reading about your daughter and all that you have been through with her, I feel compelled to respond.

You are not alone. I can wholeheartedly empathize with what you are going through. My daughter, Mia, who is 22 now, was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder around the age of 15. Now I realize that isn't the same thing as being Bipolar, but from what I have read the 2 disorders are often confused with one another because they are quite similar. Plus, some of what you have shared of your experiences with Becca, I can absolutely say "I have been there. I understand."

Mia was an impulsive teenager, somewhat of a risk-taker, rebellious... which I realize could apply to a lot of teenagers. However, with my daughter most everything was taken to the extreme. Sneaking out at night. Skipping school. Running away. There were at least 2 instances where the police were involved. When I told her no to getting gauges, she went ahead got a pair from a friend and shoved them in herself.

She became addicted to smoking weed. I know people have different views about this, and I know it does have medicinal properties. Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with it, - to each his own. However, if something, anything, becomes an addiction, to the point someone feels they cannot function in life without it, and they take unnecessary risks to get it (she actually gave a drug dealer our address once so that he could deliver to her!) then it is a problem. Oh, and let's not forget the amount of cash flow it takes to keep a daily addiction such as hers going. To top it off, it happens to be illegal where we live. So, yeah, for her it's risky behavior.

Her mood-swings were severe, sporadic. Sometimes turning into destructive fits of rage. Often there was nothing I could do or say that would help. Just had to ride it out. She was not only destructive to things around her, she was self-destructive. During one fit she began banging her head on the dashboard of our car. She would scratch herself. Pull her hair. And, she was a cutter. This is something she was able to hide from me for a very long time. Her bouts of depression were debilitating. Her self-loathing ran deep, and her anxiety ran high. Coping with change, or the unknown, has always been extremely difficult for her. I would say it is one of her biggest triggers.

At the age of 14, it really came to a head. During that year, I had her in at least three different facilities trying to find the help she needed. She was prescribed 3 different medicines. I cannot recall the names, but one was for depression, one was for anxiety, and the other was for her aggression. Mia fought me the whole way. She would not work with her counselor or try to apply anything she had learned from her therapy sessions. Soon I realized she wasn't even taking her prescriptions. She was only pretending to take them. She had saved them up, put them in a baggie, and hid them. Then when she decided to take them, she tried to "make up for it" by taking more then she was supposed to, and ended up telling me because she felt funny. Thank goodness she did! I felt so dumb!

So, for a while watching my teenage daughter became my full-time job. I mean, yes, parenting is a 24/7 job, but I'm talking about ALL my energy, ALL of my attention, ALL my time, ALL my focus, it was ALL on her. I did not leave her side. It was rough for a while. Emotionally draining. I couldn't even sleep much, because there were times when I did nod off she would see it as an opportunity to sneak out and take my car to meet a friend in the middle of the night.

Her father was pretty much out of the picture and when he did decide to come around he went against everything I was trying to do for her. He countered me all the way and refused to help, both emotionally or financially. Thank goodness I had the support of my parents. Although, it came to a point in which they were not able to deal with Mia at all. They were able to help me with my son though. It still saddens me to think of how much time I lost with my son during all of this.

You mentioned feeling as if you have failed in the parenting department. I have often felt this way too. As long as we are doing our best to help and be there for our children, then we are not failures. We may not always get the results we want. But, if we have done our best, we shouldn't consider ourselves to be failures. Not trying at all would be failing. I have to remind myself of this.

I tried desperately to help my daughter. Unfortunately, as I described, she fought me every step of the way. I did try though. I did my best. Now that she is an adult I don't feel as much responsibility to keep her on track. Doesn't take the worry away though. I will always worry.

Please know you are not alone. I feel for you, I really do. I tend to overshare at times, but I honestly wanted you to see that there is someone else out there that understands on some level what you are dealing with. From what I can tell, you are a wonderful mother and you are doing all you can. Hang in there. ((hugs))
Thank you so, so much! It brought tears to my eyes. Its like you are my spirit animal lol. Its so good to have someone get me, thats why I love this place. We just had an intense discussion/argument thursday about her communication with us. We gave her a small bit of freedom to go to the firehouse she belongs to and sigh up for some stuff and hang around. She had to be home at 8. All we asked was to text us when she got there (its right down the street) and send us her location through the iphone. For 35 minutes we didnt hear from her. Then she was talking about how busy it was because their main fundraising event was this Saturday and it was bustling. She actually asked if she could stay later and we said no way.

When she came in she proceeded to tell us that she was almost 18 and even though she didnt want to NOT tell us where she will be, she techically wouldnt "by law" have to once she was 18, and she said she felt like we were baby sitting her. I was shocked, like havent you been paying attention these last 6 weeks?
It got heated and yes, I yelled but it was loud vs yelling. My points were given and worthy of an academy award. I told her she doesnt get to say these things after everything thats happened. I told her if she has dreams of living it up the way she wants when she turns 18 then I hope she had a plan of how she was going to get places or call people since the phone and car were mine. I told her I would never kick her out but that if she had fantasies of moving out that I hope she had a plan for money, a car and a phone, and some very generous friends. I hated that I said that.

But its true, I hate to pull the "under my roof" card but she doesnt get to make the rules just because we cant legally keep her here. I hoped it was a dose of reality. My only regret is that I had to be loud. My drinking history isnt so good before I got sober and I know the chaos and yelling was always hardest on her and for whatever reason she took the brunt of it. So of course I beat myself up over getting angry and loud but I really couldnt stomach the selfishness.
She gets really upset when anyone is yelling, which almost never happens in our house. I grew up with abuse and never wanted to have my kids live like that.
When we have had to deal with major mistakes with any of them, we knew that making them fear us and be afraid to tell the truth or get in touch with us when they were in a risky situation would only ensure more dishonesty and bigger mistakes,
I have had to eat my words before because we have always told the kids if they were anywhere and have been drinking or anything like that, or with others who have- call us we will go get them no questions, no yelling. I want kids who are alive, not kids who die driving home drunk or with someone on drugs because they are afraid of getting grounded.
I dont think any of them have ever been grounded-maybe lost a specific privledge or something but blanket grounding never worked for me, so I dont see it as effective.
Even when she ran away, she realized she was in over her head and got so afraid of coming home and getting in trouble it was like hostage negotiation with her and my son trying to get her to meet him so he could get her home.
That fear of us scares me. We have ever given any of the kids to fear us so much that they would put themselves in danger but still, I must have done some damage with her.

Not a day goes by that I dont have a thought of how my drinking nearly made my kids broken. It was a short lived period of time because it wasnt bad until the end but the scars are so deep and I feel like I made official ammends and continue to make daily ammends by doing my best.

I would be lying if I thought its going to suddenly clear up when she is 18. I am terrified. She wants to spread her wings and fly but at the same time she doesnt have good risk assessment skills. In a way she was a late bloomer with all of this. I really hope she has an epiphany like I did when I was 18 and a senior in high school. One last major fight with my mom and it was like a switch had flipped the light on and I suddenly saw the big picture. I dont get the feeling its going to be like that for her. I have never dreaded a child's birthday Like I dread hers in February.

Holy hell I just wrote waayyy too much up there but your response helped open the flood gates so I hope no one minds. Some people put this in the discipline category. Maybe we have been too lax, loved too much or not been good enforcers. We didnt believe in hitting although things have gotten intense. I dont know if any of this made sense but it just came out this way.

Thanks so much Kat.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (Today), KitCat (Today), Little Missy (Today), Lunacie (Today), peripatetic (Today), stef (Today)