ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-14-08, 09:24 AM

mmam5 is on a distinguished road
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

You know your child is ADHD when ...

In 3rd grade they take away his chair (a plaything) and he's perfectly happy to stand at his desk ALL day (my idea)
Old 10-21-08, 01:41 AM

mom_of_8 is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm new here but I couldn't help but posting here after all the great laughs I got out of this thread! I felt like I was reading a memoir of my son's life!

You know your child is ADHD when...
1. He lies to you because he honestly cannot remember the truth

2. Then later he tells you the truth out of the blue because he forgot he lied earlier (this works for innocent forgetfulness and also fear of consequence... he forgets he lied in both situations!)

3. You go through a box of 100 bandaids in a little less than a week because he keeps remembering he has to keep his new wound clean and dry with a clean bandaid but he keeps forgetting he just changed the bandaid a few minutes ago... which then results in the little white tabs ALL OVER your bathroom and his bedroom and you find them for weeks behind the couch, in his sock drawer, in the kitchen, I've even found the little papers in the fridge!

4. Or your doctor actually calls social services because this is the third time this month this kid has been to the emergency room for x-rays or stitches and you cannot convince him that you're not abusing your child, he's just ADHD and prone to finding the highest thing to climb and jump off of or the biggest thing to pull on top of himself, or building the biggest ramp to jump on his bicycle even though he has no idea how to land safely and has already broken his wrist before because of that very same bike ramp, or that no matter how many locks you put on things he still manages to get in or out of whatever it is that he was denied access to....

5. He never can find his pencil for homeschool but he can always find the remote control even when dad can't find it!

6. You're at the biggest park in the city with 100 other kids and you can always hear your child over all the other kids in the park... never worry about losing him in a crowd that's for sure.

7. You wonder where the hair went that has recently been shaved in a spot on his head... or worse yet, his brother's head.

8. You stop hearing your name being called the first 100 times and when you finally realize that he's talking to you and you reply, they can't remember anyway... My husband says "Will you answer him so he'll stop saying mom?!" I reply "What for? He won't remember and will just do it again in 10 minutes even if I did answer him the first time." Our son has learned to just ask before saying my name or he makes notes and hands them to me so we both know what he's talking about. We both know if he says "mom" it automatically erases both our brains momentarily! It's actually a joke between us now because it's happened a billion times.

9. You have started making lists for everything - even the morning routine that of course never changes but he still can't get through it: 1) Brush teeth. 2) Put tooth brush and toothpaste away. 2) Wash face. 3) Brush hair. 4) Put hair brush away. 5) Go back to your bedroom. 6) Put on a clean shirt. 7) Put on shorts/blue jeans. 8) Put on your left sock. 9) Put on your right sock... haha! If I hadn't done this when he was in public school he would have never made it there!

10) To avoid conflict you attempt to organize everything and prepare for everything (Laying out clothes for school the night before, putting homework in the bookbag locked with a padlock that only you and the teacher have a key to so he can't lose it between home and school, having fruit and a napkin on the counter for his breakfast so he can just grab it and go, etc.) and he wears something completely different that doesn't match and is on inside out and backwards with two different socks, and has his shoes on the wrong feet, he loses the entire bookbag before he ever leaves the house, he gets his fruit but lays it down and can't remember where he left it so then he's starving of course, and is still 45 minutes late getting to school because he couldn't find his shoes that were on his feet the whole time and you're too frantic to even think to look on his feet for the shoes either! (This is why we homeschool now. He's so thankful!)

11. You find the milk in the cabinet and his favorite cereal box in the fridge.
12. Your son had his very own desk in the principal's office.

And the best part of it all is that you never ever have a dull moment one single day of your life and you appreciate so much more and never take anything for granted.

Tracy

Last edited by Lady Lark; 10-21-08 at 11:24 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mom_of_8 For This Useful Post:
DejaRayne (12-02-08), horton321 (04-04-10)
Old 10-21-08, 01:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
You get a call from the Kindergarten teacher asking you to explain to your daughter (again) that she needs to stop flashing everyone in class to prove that all mammals have nipples.
I'm glad we never thought to tell my son that all mammals have nipples when he asked about them - otherwise, he'd be doing this, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Twins View Post
My Son was late to get on his feet...15 months but once he did...he has never walked...just RAN. I am not exagerating. I dont think it is possible for him to just walk. And at night when he is sooooooooooo ready for bed...He needs to squirm around the bed. Often I look in & he is almost doing a headstand on his pillows but his feet still moving him around on the bed!
Sounds just like my son. He took a while to walk, but once he did, he was in constant motion, and had two speeds - fast forward and passed out asleep. He is the squirmiest sleeper I've ever seen, and never stays under the covers unless it's REALLY cold.

You know your child has ADHD when you tell him to put his shoes on, he howls that he can't find them, and they're six inches away from his hand.

You know your child has ADHD when you get a call from the principal's office telling you that your child just cut his hair, and when asked why he did it, said, "Well, mama said it needed a trim!" (I'm just thankful he didn't take it upon himself to cut someone else's hair!)
DejaRayne (12-02-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-08, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

runinl8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhermit View Post
Here's one - perhaps more interesting than funny: My son is in kindergarten and last Christmas his school set a up a dollar-store for the kids to pick out and buy presents for their family members.
this was done at my sons school, he came home telling me about it, he was so excited because he was going to be able to buy stuff for everyone he loved. So, I sent $20. He came home w/something for me and his dad and LOTS of stuff for him.

One day he found a high powered magned my husband has and asked if he could take it to his room. DH said "Ok but make sure you don't get it anywhere near your tv" first thing he did was run in there and hold it up to the tv. What happened? All the color went to one side.

Old 10-22-08, 09:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,964 Times in 11,087 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

When the 5th grader begs for a binder to keep everything in order so she won't loose her homework, then just keeps stuffing papers in without ever taking any out so after 2 months it's so full that she can't even zip it closed anymore.

Her teachers this year are aware that at least 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) times a week we have to drive her back to school after she gets off the school bus to get some homework paper she's forgotten and they are going to try to remind her about homework. Trouble is, she may be paying attention to another child that's talking and not paying attention to the teacher. Arrggghhhh!

Still an improvement over the last few years when we raised our concerns and were told "She's so smart!" "She's so friendly." "She's so helpful." "She's so..." We're still hearing "She's so smart" because she is dang it! But they are starting to see how hard it is for her to focus and make plans and follow plans and be organized and keep track of things. And it will only get worse next year when she starts middle school.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-22-08, 05:24 PM

MommaHen03 will become famous soon enough

You know your kid is ADHD when the teacher has you on speed dial on their private cell phone instead of having to look in his records.

or when you cringe to see the school number come up in the caller id and are shocked when it is for another child.
The Following User Says Thank You to MommaHen03 For This Useful Post:
ChristophersDad (10-29-08)
Old 11-03-08, 01:42 AM

Alexzander'smom is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

When you get them dressed for bed, turn around to grab something, turn back and they are completely naked. I used to do that to my mom. Don't know why and now my son does it to me.
Kaitlyn (niece I am trying to adopt)- Dec 05- FASD
Aiden (nephew I will be adopting)- Jan 09
Old 11-08-08, 09:31 AM

RamblinDad is on a distinguished road

All of these just crack me up

.... you feel like tying a string to the door knob in his room so that you can find your way back out after you go in to tuck him in at night.
Old 11-16-08, 04:56 PM

BrainyB will become famous soon enough

When you ask your son, why he chewed all the erasers off the pencils at school. . .

and he says because they taste good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrainyB For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (09-07-12), till (06-10-10)
Old 11-16-08, 06:31 PM

suzi is on a distinguished road

O! Gosh, I see my son in all of your descriptions...12 yrs age...
Old 11-18-08, 03:30 PM
Jr Member

A-ha! will become famous soon enough

I know my son is ADHD when...

He asks me a direct question, and when I look at him and give him my answer, he says "What?" or "Huh?"
Old 11-21-08, 02:51 PM

browneyedgirls is on a distinguished road

We have been wondering for a long time about my daughter having adhd. After reading these stories, we may take her to get tested, because she is described perfectly here- by other peoples' words. Very strange feeling.
Old 11-22-08, 07:11 AM

alanandtracey is on a distinguished road

You havn't heard the TV news in 6yrs because of: Screams,whoops,Questions,banging,rattling,and police siren impressions!!! lol.
Old 11-30-08, 12:27 AM

jsm73 is on a distinguished road

it really is darling to see him get caught up in chasing a butterfly around the yard on the way to the car. thanks.... i need to enjoy the cute moments more often.
Old 12-02-08, 09:25 PM

DejaRayne is on a distinguished road

lol..at least yours makes it!! Mine doesn't half the time...