ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-09-08, 12:22 PM

dlmay277 is on a distinguished road
Mag Oxide Question

I was just reading a few different things online and there is another site that says never ever use a Magnesium OXIDE supp. with Adderall? That it will cancel it out? Does anyone know anything about this? Is there a specific type of Magnesium that you are suppossed to use?
Old 02-09-08, 10:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

despirit has a spectacular aura aboutdespirit has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mag Oxide Question

I doubt it would cancel out the effects of the Adderall, but Magnesium Oxide has a very low bioavailability, so you probably wouldn't get any benefits from taking it. Any of the other forms should be fine, though. I.E. Glycinate, Citrate, Malate, Taurate, etc.

I've seen a few posts about using Magnesium supplements to avoid tolerance issues, but I don't know if this would work as I haven't seen any studies on this. However, I believe taking Magnesium would help with absorption of the Adderall by creating a more basic enviroment in your digestive tract.
The Following User Says Thank You to despirit For This Useful Post:
flatlinez (02-11-08)
Old 02-21-08, 12:35 PM

jmreagan is on a distinguished road

I take magnesium glycinate in 400mgs daily along with 500mgs of taurine and 500 mgs of tyrosine to help control anxiety. For me it works better than Effexor did and without the side effects of Effexor. The magnesium glycinate has one of the best bio-availabilities out of all the forms of magnesium supplementation. I have read that magnesium oxide can build up in your system and become toxic however I have yet to read this has been proven true.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-08, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by despirit View Post
Magnesium Oxide has a very low bioavailability
Quote:
1: Magnes Res. 2001 Dec;14(4):257-62.
Links
Bioavailability of US commercial magnesium preparations.
Firoz M, Graber M.

Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, NY 11768, USA.

Magnesium deficiency is seen with some frequency in the outpatient setting and requires oral repletion or maintenance therapy. The purpose of this study was to measure the bioavailability of four commercially-available preparations of magnesium, and to test the claim that organic salts are more easily absorbed. Bioavailability was measured as the increment of urinary maginesium excretion in normal volunteers given approximately 21 mEq/day of the test preparations.Results indicated relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide (fractional absorption 4 per cent) but significantly higher and equivalent bioavailability of magnesium chloride, magnesium lactate and magnesium aspartate. We conclude that there is relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide, but greater and equivalent bioavailability of magnesium chloride, lactate, and aspartate. Inorganic magnesium salts, depending on the preparation, may have bioavailability equivalent to organic magnesium salts.

PMID: 11794633 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Quote:
1: Magnes Res. 2003 Sep;16(3):183-91.
Links
Mg citrate found more bioavailable than other Mg preparations in a randomised, double-blind study.
Walker AF, Marakis G, Christie S, Byng M.

Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition, School of Food Biosciences, The University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading, UK. a.f.walker@reading.ac.uk

Published data on the bioavailability of various Mg preparations is too fragmented and scanty to inform proper choice of Mg preparation for clinical studies. In this study, the relative bioavailability of three preparations of Mg (amino-acid chelate, citrate and oxide) were compared at a daily dose of 300 mg of elemental Mg in 46 healthy individuals. The study was a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel intervention, of 60 days duration. Urine, blood and saliva samples were taken at baseline, 24 h after the first Mg supplement was taken ('acute' supplementation) and after 60 days of daily Mg consumption ('chronic' supplementation). Results showed that supplementation of the organic forms of Mg (citrate and amino-acid chelate) showed greater absorption (P = 0.033) at 60 days than MgO, as assessed by the 24-h urinary Mg excretion. Mg citrate led to the greatest mean serum Mg concentration compared with other treatments following both acute (P = 0.026) and chronic (P = 0.006) supplementation. Furthermore, although mean erythrocyte Mg concentration showed no differences among groups, chronic Mg citrate supplementation resulted in the greatest (P = 0.027) mean salivary Mg concentration compared with all other treatments. Mg oxide supplementation resulted in no differences compared to placebo. We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied.

PMID: 14596323 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I guess the makers of magnesium supplements love magnesium oxide because it has the highest percent of magnesium of magnesium compounds
safe to consume. So they can put it in a relatively small space. The extremely dishonest part of it all is they usually fill 50%+ of the volume in a supplement bottle with air anyway.