ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-06-13, 06:35 PM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold
Re: ADD = asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I didn't say that people with Asperger's don't consider there to be any
positives in having AS. All I said was that I haven't seen much in the
media about Asperger's being something positive for those who have it.

I did explain that media articles that focus on the potentially positive
aspects of having a mental health disorder like ADHD makes those of us
who try to explain the impairments it causes look like lazy whiners. They
make it very hard to get accomodations in school or at work because
"gifted people" don't need any special help. There, I explained again.

Choosing to induce a "flow" condition is a whole lot different than wasting
hours on something fascinating because you can't tear yourself away, or
not being able to make yourself pay attention to something that seems
boring.

Choice - no choice. I can see the difference between them, can't you?
Quote:
I did explain that media articles that focus on the potentially positive
aspects of having a mental health disorder like ADHD makes those of us
who try to explain the impairments it causes look like lazy whiners. They
make it very hard to get accomodations in school or at work because
"gifted people" don't need any special help. There, I explained again.
Who does that? I don't know any teachers who walk around saying 'I won't help you because you're 'gifted'. I don't know any conditions or teachers who would do that even if one was a genious - and if they do, they're a bad teacher anyway.

And the article wasn't even shoving 'giftedness' down our throats. I think there's a difference between looking in hindsight and considering the positives vs calling ourselves gifted. And from what I gathered from the article it wasn't doing the latter.

'Gift' wasn't mentioned once and hell, it even suggested getting an ADHD coach!

Quote:
Choosing to induce a "flow" condition is a whole lot different than wasting
hours on something fascinating because you can't tear yourself away, or
not being able to make yourself pay attention to something that seems
boring.
How can hours ever be wasted when it's on something fascinating? We must have very different definitions of 'wasted hours'. Do you mean spending hours on unplanned things? My definition of 'wasted' would be not getting out of bed!
The Following User Says Thank You to AshT For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13)
Old 10-06-13, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,918 Times in 12,561 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: ADD = asset

The Forbes article (yes I finally read it) talks about people who manage to
succeed in spite of having ADHD. Statistics say they're nowhere near being
the majority of ADHDers. Statistics say that:

Quote:
•One fourth of children with ADHD have serious learning disabilities such as: oral expression, listening skills, reading comprehension and/or math.

•65% of children with ADHD exhibit problems in defiance or problems with authority figures. This can include verbal hostility and temper tantrums.

• Teenagers with ADHD have almost four times as many traffic citations as non-ADD/ADHD drivers. They have four times as many car accidents and are seven times more likely to have a second accident.

• 21% of teens with ADHD skip school on a regular basis

• 35% of teens with ADHD drop out of school before finishing high school.

• 45% of children with ADHD have been suspended from school at least once.

• 30% of children with ADHD have repeated a year in school. -
See more at: http://www.charlotteparent.com/artic....nePcbw4y.dpuf

Those kids grow up to be adults with ADHD, adults who have a very hard
time succeeding.

Visit the parenting forum here on ADDF and you'll see cases where children
with ADHD have been denied accomodations in school because they're "too
smart" to need them. I'm not making that up. Read it for yourself.

It happened with my own granddaughter. For three years we asked for
testing and help for her, but all her teachers said she was so smart and
helpful that she didn't need to be tested, she didn't need accomodations.
She nearly failed 5th grade before we could even get one of her teachers to
fill out a Connor's evaluation for the doctor to diagnose her. She still didn't
get any accomodations.

Spending hours playing games online instead of finding a job, instead of
getting the housework done, making you late to work or skipping work, or
late to pick up the kids at school - how is that NOT wasted time?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (10-09-13)
Old 10-06-13, 07:15 PM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I've not been more attentive to the thred I started.

I was just thinking. What I should have said was.

ADHD = creativity
so adhd = an asset in the business world because creativity is an asset. Not all of adhd is an asset. Just the creativity part of adhd is an asset. (and more arguably, haven't thought ab it. that's just what the title said.)

that's what I meant.

I really blew the place up. I'm so sorry if i'm being extremely rude. I have hardly posted since making this thread!

Glad it started some good convos.

T=I can only imagine what people have been talking to me about. I appreciate everyone's opinions, in against and in favor of (thanks for your support). I'm going to read later.

AAgain, sorry for being MIA, and not clearing up the title. Either way good discussion, though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (10-08-13), Stevuke79 (10-08-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-13, 09:02 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again.

This is another example of someone trying to make himself feel better by putting a positive spin on ADD. The human struggle to cope with suffering cannot be fixed by painting suffering like a pretty lily. It's wrong and untrue to say that ADD has positive things about it. No drug company will want to spend millions on research if lies discussed in that article spread.

I don't believe it's more common than ever, creating an illusion that more people have it than not. Many people hear feedback that "Everyone has ADD." No. Not everyone loses their job multiple times. Not everyone gets into more accidents. Not everyone experiences teenage pregnancy more often. I believe ADDers embody 4% of the US population.

No one can answer this question: If it's such a great thing, would you give it to someone for their birthday?

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-06-13), Daydreamin22 (10-06-13), Lunacie (10-06-13)
Old 10-06-13, 09:47 PM

Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean.

"Oh Hey, Happy New Ye... I mean, hahahaha, Happy Birthday Ba..um..Sally! Oh my goodness. Belated I should say! Don't think I forgot you this year! It's really been bothering me that I still have your present! Sorry, I'm popping in a little late at night I was going to call but forgot I left my phone in a cab in NYC...yea... hahah. But at least I got a great little neighborhood tour. I missed your street and then rang your neighbor's doorbell... the Jones'! They had a babysitter and like five kids in there! What do you mean, what do I mean? Here take your present, then we'll talk."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-06-13), Lunacie (10-06-13), namazu (10-09-13), Stevuke79 (10-08-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-06-13, 10:26 PM

ok, that was creative writing! Just realized that two seconds ago! And I am not supposed to be online. I got online to post star tunnel disney world song "just really quick and do nothing else" then saw anon on and wow major coincidence! hi Anon!

So anyway, bringing back the happy music thread to do this. Everyone can just thank us ahead of time! Bout to be a "good times great songs kinda night from this point on in here.
then going to either sleep or do work.

If these two posts don't speak for adhd and creativity then I really don't know what would at this moment. Btu I'm pretty sure it does... at this moment. Brain Fog or sensory overload happening. One of the two. ! Need to relax and listen to space mountain star tunnel music Disney World. Then work/bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-07-13, 11:44 PM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The Forbes article (yes I finally read it) talks about people who manage to
succeed in spite of having ADHD. Statistics say they're nowhere near being
the majority of ADHDers. Statistics say that:

See more at: http://www.charlotteparent.com/artic....nePcbw4y.dpuf

Those kids grow up to be adults with ADHD, adults who have a very hard
time succeeding.

Visit the parenting forum here on ADDF and you'll see cases where children
with ADHD have been denied accomodations in school because they're "too
smart" to need them. I'm not making that up. Read it for yourself.

It happened with my own granddaughter. For three years we asked for
testing and help for her, but all her teachers said she was so smart and
helpful that she didn't need to be tested, she didn't need accomodations.
She nearly failed 5th grade before we could even get one of her teachers to
fill out a Connor's evaluation for the doctor to diagnose her. She still didn't
get any accomodations.

Spending hours playing games online instead of finding a job, instead of
getting the housework done, making you late to work or skipping work, or
late to pick up the kids at school - how is that NOT wasted time?
Firstly, In relation to your grandchild, that's an example of a failed system. It has not been caused by people thinking positively about their adhd. The education system should be flexible and cater to all paradigms of mind, which it does not. If we adhders were able to learn kinestheticly or visually, in a way that suited us, im sure we'd see many of us flourish.

In relation to school statistics, that's not a direct cause of adhd. How many of us bunked of school because we were bullied? Because our teachers were on our backs all the time? Because we were late for school...again...and were too scared to face being shouted at again, so bunking was a better option. Schools need to be far more compassionate to our needs, but I don't think that we should go about that by claiming we are all disabled - we won't convince people we're disabled when they cannot see it. Imo, we should convey adhd exactly as it is. People should be allowed to express how adhd has been for them whether they feel its positive or negative. I think its completely out of line to turn around to someone and tell them they are wrong, that their adhd is a negative when they are full of confidence and proud to be who they are(this comment isnt aimed at you btw, im speaking generally and this applies to non-adhd stuff)...and if they inspire others, whats wrong with it? We're receptive to emotions, so why not inspire with emotional intelligence?

Secondly, my converses with you I think have proved the entire point, that people automatically jump on the 'anti-positive' bandwagon.

Why were you debating against an article you had not read?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshT For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13), Stevuke79 (10-08-13)
Old 10-08-13, 02:26 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post

Firstly, In relation to your grandchild, that's an example of a failed system. It has not been caused by people thinking positively about their adhd. The education system should be flexible and cater to all paradigms of mind, which it does not. If we adhders were able to learn kinestheticly or visually, in a way that suited us, im sure we'd see many of us flourish.

In relation to school statistics, that's not a direct cause of adhd. How many of us bunked of school because we were bullied? Because our teachers were on our backs all the time? Because we were late for school...again...and were too scared to face being shouted at again, so bunking was a better option. Schools need to be far more compassionate to our needs, but I don't think that we should go about that by claiming we are all disabled - we won't convince people we're disabled when they cannot see it. Imo, we should convey adhd exactly as it is. People should be allowed to express how adhd has been for them whether they feel its positive or negative. I think its completely out of line to turn around to someone and tell them they are wrong, that their adhd is a negative when they are full of confidence and proud to be who they are(this comment isnt aimed at you btw, im speaking generally and this applies to non-adhd stuff)...and if they inspire others, whats wrong with it? We're receptive to emotions, so why not inspire with emotional intelligence?

Secondly, my converses with you I think have proved the entire point, that people automatically jump on the 'anti-positive' bandwagon.

Why were you debating against an article you had not read?
My argument is that school issues like I mentioned are actually caused by
people who read these stories that put a positive spin on ADHD, making
our educators think that it's not really a problem, that our kids just need to
"work harder."

I've explained this several times now, and I'm left wondering if you simply
don't want to look at this from a different perspective. I'm sure putting a
positive spin on ADHD is comforting for you, but it isn't helping us to get
fair treatment for our very real medical/mental health issues.

I am making my point about an article I hadn't previously read because I've
read a lot of these articles over the years. I don't have to read each and
every one to know that stories about people who have been successful in
spite of having ADHD can place unrealistic expectations on everyone who
has the disorder.

In any demographic a certain percentage will be wildly successful, a larger
percentage will have a good life, and a certain percentage will struggle to
find a job and keep a job and pay the bills. Do you deny that having a
medical or mental health problem makes it much harder to simply have a
good life, much less be wildly successful?

For every Ty Pennington and Adam Levine, there is a Lindsay Lohen and
others who keeps going off the rails and failing. Many who never make it
high enough to fall publically.

In this case the opposite of positive isn't negative, it's realistic.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (10-09-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-08-13, 03:36 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

DayDreamin22, you shouldn't be sorry you posted this article here. The debate led to some interesting opinions and overall, it has been a positive one. I think it would be silly for someone to be offended because you posted this here!

Don't worry, be happy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-08-13), Stevuke79 (10-08-13), Tulip7171 (10-17-13)
Old 10-08-13, 07:53 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
"work harder."

has the disorder.
ographic a certain percentage will be wildly successful, a larger
percentage will have a good life, and a certain percentage will struggle to
find a job and keep a job and pay the bills. Do you deny that having a
medical or mental health problem makes it much harder to simply have a
good life, much less be wildly successful?
In any dem

For every Ty Pennington and Adam Levine, there is a Lindsay Lohen and
others who keeps going off the rails and failing. Many who never make it
high enough to fall publically.

In this case the opposite of positive isn't negative, it's realistic.
Quote:
"work harder."
That's a problem with the school not having correct training with ADHD and so teachers taking it on themselves to judge. That has nothing to do with how people choose to see their condition.

Quote:
Explained what? You think just because I don't disagree with you, I can't 'see your perspective'?

You making assumptions that because i'm arguing against what you, I think ADHD is a purely positive. You're entirely incorrect, as I have specified many times in many of my posts, I do not believe in either side.

I have seen the negative sides of ADHD, my Mum has 8 siblings with ADHD, all of which have drug addictions and have been in and our of hospital/prison. None have jobs.

My Dad was an alcoholic, violent and put us in refuges. He died by the time he was 35. Oh and he had ADHD.

My life experiences would point me in the direction of looking and seeing ADHD as a negative. But I don't, I don't see it as either. Why? Because in the midsts of everything i've seen positives too. I've seen what my mother is capable with her hyperfocus - coming from the background she has, her passion and hyperfocus is to help her children be the best
possible, without enforcing her selves on them, by inspiring them.

And the most interesting thing is, she's the one who had he least amount of support and the most amount of responsibility as a child. She was brought up in ways animals arnt even.

I've seen the great empathy that my uncles have inspite of their issues. I've seen how resourceful they can be when they want to obtain and achieve something and they focus on it.

Quote:
has the disorder.
So, basically, you're unwilling to even look and consider any form of any other perspective. You won't even read things first and just jump to conclusions.

Again, that proves my point.

I don't believe in any side because I don't believe in labeling, categorizing or stereotyping people. What gets me is when people can't open their mind to even the possibility that there is at least ONE PERSON out there with ADHD for which overall in their life, it has been a positive.
Old 10-08-13, 08:44 AM
Forum Guru

Also, sorry, I realised the last part of that post came across a bit rude/aggressive and that wasn't my intention.

I stupidly wrote that having only woken up 10 mins prior!
The Following User Says Thank You to AshT For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13)
Old 10-08-13, 08:53 AM

Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,802 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
This is another example of someone trying to make himself feel better by putting a positive spin on ADD.
I've been known to put a positive spin on my ADD now and again. I like feeling better.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-09-13), namazu (10-09-13)
Old 10-08-13, 09:15 AM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

"ADD = asset" ... ... maybe in the next world ... ... actually ... ... definitely in the next world.
Old 10-08-13, 09:50 AM

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Definition in the DSM IV (i don't know about V) was that, to be diagnosed you must be significantly negatively impacted in at least two areas of functioning required for day to day living.....

doesn't sound like an asset to me.....

that isn't to say that you may score in other areas, particularly ones that don't involve fitting in to our insane world....

It's also why there are significant numbers of people with adhd symptoms who are successful.... and some who have been diagnosed at some time in their life but then develop successful coping strategies....

hence the large numbers of adolescents who's ADHD miraculously vanishes once they escape the educational concentration camp.

kilted
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-08-13, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
That's a problem with the school not having correct training with ADHD and so teachers taking it on themselves to judge. That has nothing to do with how people choose to see their condition.
In my experience with my grandchildren, schools do not have training in
dealing with mental health issues. Maybe that's because educators in
general have bought into this idea that ADHD is not really a disability.
That you can make it be positive just by trying harder.

Quote:
Explained what? You think just because I don't disagree with you, I can't 'see your perspective'?

You making assumptions that because i'm arguing against what you, I think ADHD is a purely positive. You're entirely incorrect, as I have specified many times in many of my posts, I do not believe in either side.
I didn't say that you see ADHD as "purely positive." But you sure seem to
be on the bandwagon to look at it through positive lens. That's what I took
from your posts on this thread, sorry if I misinterpreted what you wrote.

Quote:
I have seen the negative sides of ADHD, my Mum has 8 siblings with ADHD, all of which have drug addictions and have been in and our of hospital/prison. None have jobs.

My Dad was an alcoholic, violent and put us in refuges. He died by the time he was 35. Oh and he had ADHD.

My life experiences would point me in the direction of looking and seeing ADHD as a negative. But I don't, I don't see it as either. Why? Because in the midsts of everything i've seen positives too. I've seen what my mother is capable with her hyperfocus - coming from the background she has, her passion and hyperfocus is to help her children be the best
possible, without enforcing her selves on them, by inspiring them.

And the most interesting thing is, she's the one who had he least amount of support and the most amount of responsibility as a child. She was brought up in ways animals arnt even.

I've seen the great empathy that my uncles have inspite of their issues. I've seen how resourceful they can be when they want to obtain and achieve something and they focus on it.
How can it be neither? Doesn't it have to be something?

Quote:
So, basically, you're unwilling to even look and consider any form of any other perspective. You won't even read things first and just jump to conclusions.

Again, that proves my point.

I don't believe in any side because I don't believe in labeling, categorizing or stereotyping people. What gets me is when people can't open their mind to even the possibility that there is at least ONE PERSON out there with ADHD for which overall in their life, it has been a positive.
This isn't about what I'm "willing" myself to consider. I've considered the
whole picture, any possible positives as well as the known negatives. I've
come to a "considered" opinion based on copious amounts of reading and
personal experience.

That doesn't mean we are broken people, or worthless, or that there isn't
anything positive about us. It simply means that the positive things are
not related to having ADHD.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
AshT (10-17-13), LittleFrog (10-09-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)