ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-10, 07:51 AM
Jr Member

betweenthebars is on a distinguished road
I blame the... -_- internet :( ???

It is now 4:40AM. I started studying at around 10pm earlier this night for i have finals on monday. Minutes into forcing myself to study, i got lost on the Internet. IT IS NOW 4:40!!! I've been distracted for 6 hours? i have work at 9 so i decided to turn off the computer and get some rest... got ready for bed, turned off the light...then, turned on the light again, turned on the computer again, logged onto this forum again, and typed this. i cant even go to sleep without being distracted.

So not only did i not get any studying or homework done, but i stayed up being counterproductive. I could have just got some sleep instead! I blame it on the internet. This is incredibly frustrating. I cannot control myself.

I am on a roller coaster of counter-production. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEE
Old 05-16-10, 08:10 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I blame the... -_- internet :( ???

Nah you are simply in the wrong time zone . . . if I lived in New Zealand I would be on here in the evening as opposed to early am - then again I did just spend a couple of hours watching a movie - one I have wanted to see for a long time - Avatar - I woke up around 11:00 am yesterday but to my own defense I have not been on-line the entire time just a lot of it. . .

I am off work until Monday evening so I can pi** a bit of time off - but right now I am going to find some socks as my feet are cold and maybe feed the cats so they will quit chewing on my head phone wire

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (05-16-10)
Old 05-16-10, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

Well, yes I can relate to being distracted by the internet. I had a history paper due once and it had to be 12 pages long, and typed. As I was looking up information online I was like ''oh, I'll just take a 5 min break to do something else'' And then when I look back at the clock, an hour or so has gone by. And the worst thing is, I KEPT DOING IT! It drives me crazy!

But I also get distracted by other things as well. I decide that I'll go outside and maybe get some fresh air or something. I end up staying out there for an hour or two just running around because it's fun.

My schoolwork is usually sloppy or ''BS'' if you will. And lots of times I don't do it, forget about it and lose it.

It's a tough world, wouldn't you say?

I don't know, I just work here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pamplemousse For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (05-16-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-10, 10:16 AM

adhd_life will become famous soon enough

I can certainly relate as well to be distracted. I get caught up in wanting to respond to posts and say a few words. Its almost as if my brain won't allow me to sleep until I get the things I happen to be thinking about the most, out.

I blame it on my 1,000,000 thoughts going through my head.
Old 05-16-10, 10:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to all

Do what I do and make use of Windows' parental controls feature. It may sound silly and even demeaning in a way to resort to it - but I find it helps.

I've had my PC set up so that I can only access my web browser (and any other program that might tempt me) for specific time periods. For example, if I have something important to write, I can only access Word.

All part of that "prosthetic envinoment" gig. Or as I like to call it, "prosthetic self discipline"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirrah For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-17-10), meridian (05-16-10), ruby-lang (05-18-10)
Old 05-16-10, 11:46 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrah View Post
Do what I do and make use of Windows' parental controls feature. It may sound silly and even demeaning in a way to resort to it - but I find it helps.

I've had my PC set up so that I can only access my web browser (and any other program that might tempt me) for specific time periods. For example, if I have something important to write, I can only access Word.

All part of that "prosthetic envinoment" gig. Or as I like to call it, "prosthetic self discipline"
OH MAN! thats so extreme lol! i dont think i can do that. lol. lkasjflkjaslk
Old 05-17-10, 12:50 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Nah you are simply in the wrong time zone . . . if I lived in New Zealand I would be on here in the evening as opposed to early am - then again I did just spend a couple of hours watching a movie - one I have wanted to see for a long time - Avatar - I woke up around 11:00 am yesterday but to my own defense I have not been on-line the entire time just a lot of it. . .

I am off work until Monday evening so I can pi** a bit of time off - but right now I am going to find some socks as my feet are cold and maybe feed the cats so they will quit chewing on my head phone wire
Bwahahah! maybe i am! that would explain it all.
Old 05-17-10, 05:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

you can set up parental controls on yourself? is it on a timer? I might just have to look into that!

It's ok if I patronize myself I'm gentle about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-19-10)
Old 05-17-10, 06:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to allSirrah is a name known to all

Guide here.

Of course, you can disable it anytime you like so it still requires some discipline :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrah For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-17-10), Imnapl (05-17-10)
Old 05-17-10, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of light

I love this thread. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard so I browse in my sleep. Or am I dreaming.

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

Old 05-17-10, 10:54 AM

nickel76 is a jewel in the roughnickel76 is a jewel in the roughnickel76 is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of which, I tried that parental control thing on my TV because I would constantly flip through and watch a few seconds/minutes of mind numbingly idiotic TV like E! and Bravo even though I knew it was like taking my time and flushing it down the toilet. So I blocked all the channels but the ones that are at least moderately productive like the Science and History channels. Well it worked for a little while but the problem is I knew the override code (there's no way I'm going to forget a 4 digit key) so... the only way I could see it actually working is if you hire a random person off the street to program the code and never see them again; otherwise I would find a way to get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickel76 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-17-10)
Old 05-17-10, 01:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of light

Where there is a will there is a way. If you did that you may end up calling your cable or satellite provider and asking them if there is a way to get around it

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

Old 05-18-10, 11:37 AM
Jr Member

Snoop is on a distinguished road

I am using this app to temporarily shut down the Internet: http://macfreedom.com/ It exists for Macs and PCs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoop For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-18-10)
Old 05-19-10, 01:01 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyper790 View Post
I love this thread. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard so I browse in my sleep. Or am I dreaming.
guah! i used to have that also! but my batteries died and i got lazy and plugged in my wired devices. its been a couple of months and i have yet to get some batteries. ^_^
The Following User Says Thank You to betweenthebars For This Useful Post:
mhyper790 (05-19-10)
Old 05-19-10, 01:03 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel76 View Post
Speaking of which, I tried that parental control thing on my TV because I would constantly flip through and watch a few seconds/minutes of mind numbingly idiotic TV like E! and Bravo even though I knew it was like taking my time and flushing it down the toilet. So I blocked all the channels but the ones that are at least moderately productive like the Science and History channels. Well it worked for a little while but the problem is I knew the override code (there's no way I'm going to forget a 4 digit key) so... the only way I could see it actually working is if you hire a random person off the street to program the code and never see them again; otherwise I would find a way to get it.
maybe you could get someone else in the household to do it... or else you would never EVER watch E or Bravo again! not even during free time!!!!!