ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 11-02-11, 03:13 PM

Space-Case is on a distinguished road
ADHD-PI, Paralysis of Will and Medication

I have a question for anyone who can give me an answer on this.

I've been on Ritalin for a million years (or 8 years of 20mg sustained release as a kid and 22.5mg [weird, I know] of short acting Methylphenidate 3 X daily for 11 years).

I'm primarily inattentive. I've always had problems with paralysis of will. I desparately want to start things but I just can't seem to move. If the task is tedious, it seems nothing short of terror can make me move. It can be to the point where I'm completely stressed out about needing to get something done and I know that the anxiety is way worse than doing the actual task. But still I just can't seem to move. And in instances where I get moving, if I'm able to stay on task (which can also be fun), I can be pretty effective. But I can't seem to get the ball rolling.

The older I get, the less things inspire true terror (which is a blessing and a curse).

I read somewhere that medications that affect Norepinephrine (Adderall)will help with paralysis of will.

Has anyone found this to be true when taking a medication like Adderall?

I'm thinking about asking my doctor about this. But I'm a bit afraid. I've never been on anything except Methylphenidate. I don't know if it's working optimally or not because I've never tried anything else. I've got nothing to compare it to. The only thing I have to compare it to is not being on medication at all which is a complete disaster.

I'm afraid to make my work situation difficult by changing up meds on a trail basis. (Ritalin is the devil I know vs. the devil I don't know.)

Do you think its worth asking?
Old 11-03-11, 01:36 PM

ataibei is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD-PI, Paralysis of Will and Medication

weird enough, people with same disorder respond to same medicine very differently.

the only one can answer your question is yourself.

people seem to be very cautious with stimulants. My personal experience is that they are just another medicine might help you. The worst situation is that they give you only negative effects with no benefits. Then switch the old medicine back, as simple as it is.

In my opinion, people should explore as much possibility as possible with professionals help. No trying means no possibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to ataibei For This Useful Post:
Space-Case (11-03-11)
Old 11-03-11, 03:36 PM
Contributor

ideaman has a spectacular aura aboutideaman has a spectacular aura about

space case, hello, I have the same problems as you have. unfortunately I don't have enough personal experience, but from what I have read I'd definitely give adderall a try. Or try to increase your ritalin dosage. Ritalin used to work fairly well motivation-wise for me for several years - then it stopped and mainly gives me anxiety and irritability. I'd say defitely try all of the available stimulant meds first, in different (and sufficient) dosages. then there is wellbutrin, strattera and other meds like the tricyclics... good luck and don't despair until you've tried them all. and yes, motivation and starting things is perhaps my biggest problem in life.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-11, 11:36 PM

DryBones will become famous soon enough

I was diagnosed ADHD-PI a few months ago, I've been on ritalin since then. I struggle with your problem when I'm OFF medication. I'm still figuring this medication thing out though...