ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-09-12, 01:49 AM

Trillion is on a distinguished road
Determining if Ritalin is right for me -Would it have this effect on one without ADD?

Hi guys!

First off, I'll say that if this doesn't make sense then you can put that down to my tiredness.. been a LONG day!

I've recently been prescribed Ritalin as the doctors suspect I have ADD. I've always struggled with focus and retaining information. Prior to starting Ritalin I lacked motivation, and would often sluggishly sit around the house all day, doing nothing productive.

After starting, everything feels complete. I am SO much happier while on this stuff, and my life feels in balance. It's not so much a euphoric state, as a content one, where before I would be quite unhappy whatever I was doing. The biggest thing for me is that prior to starting Ritalin I never really got the same level of enjoyment out of things as other people do. I have memories of being out with friends, seeing the smiles on their faces while I'm sitting there with a blank expression. I never seemed to enjoy things as much as other people. This has been where Ritalin has picked me up and rescued me from the grave. I now enjoy things equally as much as friends, and am finally starting to enjoy my life. I think my sex drive is up also, which is a big bonus, being only 20! :P

But what concerns me is that anyone without ADD could get the same reaction from Ritalin as I have. After all, maybe I'm just not wired to enjoy things like other people? It's all subjective anyway, so I wonder if my idea of 'meh' is somebody else's idea of fun! What do you guys think? Is Ritalin right for me? Would someone without ADD get the same reaction to it as me?

The other thing is that I find I crash - hard. By the end of the day I feel quite unhappy and distressed. Is there any way I can better regulate this? I've been prescribed Concerta too, so I'll have to follow the doc's orders on that.

Thank you for reading :^)

Mike
Old 01-09-12, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of
Re: Determining if Ritalin is right for me -Would it have this effect on one without

I had the same reaction to Ritalin that you did and I'm still on it years later. For me I always felt like I needed something, so finding out that I can just take Ritalin and don't need to drink or smoke do any of the other things I used to do is a relief.

You may or may not need to keep taking it, you may switch to Adderall at some point, I've been on both and they both have pros and cons.

However you'll most likely gain a tolerance to the side effects, including the euphoria, and as long as you don't up the dose too much you'll still get the benefits. It's actually better this way cause you won't think about it as much like you are now.

I find Ritalin to have a crash that's worse than Adderall or Dexedrine for me, it lessens with tolerance and I take Klonopin at night so it's not really an issue anymore. Give it some time and let your body adjust to it.

Make sure to bring up all your concerns to your Doctor as well, always be as pro active in your treatment as possible!

Best of luck to you!
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
Old 01-09-12, 03:40 PM
Contributor

karbouris will become famous soon enough
Re: Determining if Ritalin is right for me -Would it have this effect on one without

I like Ritalin. I think Adderall sucks my personality out of me. Give it about 3 weeks for a full determination if it is best for you. All the side effects will pop up usually around this time. They did for me. Ritalin is actually better for your brain. Research also shows that it helps with forming better memories. Something about plastic neurons or something. LOL
I am 25 years old, and a SAHM of 2 kids. I have been on and off Ritalin for over years. My candy flavors right now, are Qullivant XR 5mils in the morning and 2 at night. I also take 20mgs of Paxil. I have a current diagnosis of ADHD, OCD and Anxiety with some massive agitation. Dr thinks this is caused bipolar, but is not 100% sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-12, 08:49 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I was prescribed Ritalin a few weeks ago, but I've been experimenting with it - on, and off, to see how I feel. I'm now going to run it for a couple of weeks and see how things go.

Do you guys find Ritalin gives you confidence? I had bad experiences in school and as a result at 15 dropped out and had a stint of not going out at all for 3 years. At the time I was diagnosed with agoraphobia and social anxiety. This destroyed my confidence, but luckily I learned to drive, and found a happy medium between getting out, and being within the comfort of my own space - my car. Now I have few issues going out, but if a friend is having a party I'm a ball of emotions over whether or not I should go. I rarely do, because I'm not comfortable with the idea of being around loads of people I don't know. I'm pretty well spoken and I can hold a good conversation with most people, but I have an irrational fear of going. If I do manage to source the confidence to go, I find myself quite uncomfortable unless I have lots of alcohol in me. When I've got enough to drink in me I can be the life of the party, but until then I'm the quiet one. I know this can be normal, but most of the time the anxiety associated with going to the party is too much to handle and I don't go. This makes me quite unhappy. If I do go, I'm very stressed. Either way, I seem to lose.

I wonder if this is something physically different in my brain, or if it's just as a result of my school experience.

Mike
Old 01-09-12, 09:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Yeah Ritalin does crash pretty drastically . I just cannot ever get enough sustained effect. Doesn't adderall last quite a bit longer?
Old 01-10-12, 11:16 AM
Jr Member

Ronsit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
But what concerns me is that anyone without ADD could get the same reaction from Ritalin as I have. After all, maybe I'm just not wired to enjoy things like other people? It's all subjective anyway, so I wonder if my idea of 'meh' is somebody else's idea of fun! What do you guys think? Is Ritalin right for me? Would someone without ADD get the same reaction to it as me?
Honestly, what does it matter. It improves your life and it makes you happier so I don't think it could ever be 'not right' for you. You should do what makes you happy, because in the end what's there to make life worth living if not happiness? But to answer the question: ritalin would give a similar (but probably not the same) reaction to someone else.

Quote:
The other thing is that I find I crash - hard. By the end of the day I feel quite unhappy and distressed. Is there any way I can better regulate this? I've been prescribed Concerta too, so I'll have to follow the doc's orders on that.
You'll learn to deal with it the crash over time. There are some things that help though such drinking enough water and eating enough healthy food. Food supplements such as tyrosine and magnesium are supposed to help as well.
Old 01-17-12, 07:08 AM

D3s0xyn has a spectacular aura aboutD3s0xyn has a spectacular aura about

Sorry if I didn't fully answer your question. I only skim read.

To help ease with the crash, I would recommend ensuring you're in a relaxed state by evening. Do a good amount of exercise in the day. This will increase your mood, and help attenuate insomnia. Ensure you eat well, your brain uses much more sugar whilst on concerta, and your blood sugar can drop if you negate to eat and lead to a yucky feeling.

Try relaxing your self in the evening by listening to some nice music, having a bath or reading books. Melatonin is also shown to be helpful in easing the comedown with ritalin, it's over the counter in America and some other places but a prescription drug in others. If you do purchase it, be sure to mention to the pharmacist you are on Ritalin/Concerta

The feelings of contentness you describe sound similiar to how I feel when I first tried Methylphenidate, be it outside of a medical context

Hope this helps
Old 01-21-12, 06:06 PM

Thanks again for the replies and advice. My biggest worry is that my body will adapt to the Ritalin, and that after a while I'll feel no different while on it than I did before, and if I come off it, I'll be worse than I was before. Is this a problem? Have any of you guys had this? Or does Ritalin actually permanently increase dopamine levels in the brain, even after coming off it? (obviously not to the extent that it does while on it).
Old 01-22-12, 03:47 AM

D3s0xyn has a spectacular aura aboutD3s0xyn has a spectacular aura about

Ritalin as far as I know has no long term benefit after taking it, i.e you won't get any effects after the drug leaves the system.

While I think people get tolerant to a lot of the stimmy side effects of ritalin which tend to be unwanted anyway, I don't think the good effects like better concentration and stuff have tolerance

Sorry for the lack of sources, it's just something I read somewhere, maybe wrong

Hope this slightly helps
d3s0xyn

DX: ADHD (mostly PI or mixed), AS (mild),
RX: Concerta (Methylphenidate) 36mg daily+ Methylphenidate (Rubifen) 10mg prn

Formally: Methylphenidate 20mg (2x 10mg AM and PM)
Dextroamphetamine 25mg (3x 5mg, AM and 2x 5mg PM)

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood - Marie Curie
Old 01-25-12, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3s0xyn View Post
Ritalin as far as I know has no long term benefit after taking it, i.e you won't get any effects after the drug leaves the system.

While I think people get tolerant to a lot of the stimmy side effects of ritalin which tend to be unwanted anyway, I don't think the good effects like better concentration and stuff have tolerance

Sorry for the lack of sources, it's just something I read somewhere, maybe wrong

Hope this slightly helps
d3s0xyn
Thanks for your reply D3. Reading through a few studies, I've found evidence that Ritalin use can lead to downregulation of dopamine receptors, which I presume is where tolerance comes from. My worry is that if these receptors are reduced, when coming off the medication I (or anyone else) will now have less dopamine flying around and be even worse than I was before I started. If this is the case then I wonder if these receptors are able to grow back to their original level or not..

Not sure these studies are conclusive or not though.

Anyone else running Ritalin for a lengthy period of time able to comment on their experiences?

Thanks anyway
Old 01-25-12, 02:31 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply D3. Reading through a few studies, I've found evidence that Ritalin use can lead to downregulation of dopamine receptors, which I presume is where tolerance comes from. My worry is that if these receptors are reduced, when coming off the medication I (or anyone else) will now have less dopamine flying around and be even worse than I was before I started. If this is the case then I wonder if these receptors are able to grow back to their original level or not..

Not sure these studies are conclusive or not though.

Anyone else running Ritalin for a lengthy period of time able to comment on their experiences?

Thanks anyway
Receptors up-regulate again after you stop taking the drug. You'll have worse symptoms than before taking ritalin for a while but that shouldn't last very long. Kind of depends on how much you've been taking and for how long. For me after about 7 weeks of daily ritalin use with here and there a day off (and quite high dosages) I have about 3 days of 'withdrawal' or 'rebound' symptoms (increased appetite, extra forgetful and brainfoggy, etc ... nothing serious) and I'm back to normal forgetful and brainfoggy.
Old 01-25-12, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsit View Post
Receptors up-regulate again after you stop taking the drug. You'll have worse symptoms than before taking ritalin for a while but that shouldn't last very long. Kind of depends on how much you've been taking and for how long. For me after about 7 weeks of daily ritalin use with here and there a day off (and quite high dosages) I have about 3 days of 'withdrawal' or 'rebound' symptoms (increased appetite, extra forgetful and brainfoggy, etc ... nothing serious) and I'm back to normal forgetful and brainfoggy.
Thanks for the reply dude. I guess my fear stems from the fact that Ritalin is quite similar to cocaine, and cocaine users generally seem to have quite chaotic/messed up lives, and getting off it is quite hard. Is Ritalin not like that in that respect?
Old 01-25-12, 06:45 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply dude. I guess my fear stems from the fact that Ritalin is quite similar to cocaine, and cocaine users generally seem to have quite chaotic/messed up lives, and getting off it is quite hard. Is Ritalin not like that in that respect?
No definitely not. (Unless you use ritalin to get high ofcourse)

The thing with cocaine addicts is just that: they're addicts, they're constantly thinking about getting high, that's their highest priority and because of that they tend to neglect everything else. If you stop taking ritalin you'll just go back to your regular self.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronsit For This Useful Post:
Trillion (01-26-12)