ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-24-04, 03:08 AM

BrightLight is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Dose change with better stomach acid control?

Has anyone had to adjust their dose b/c of better (or worse) control of acid reflux?

I was taking Adderall XR 50mg, Concerta 72mg and famotidine (Pepcid) prescription strength for the past 1 1/2mths. Good control of the ADHD with very little side effects. I still had, and have had for a long time, acid reflux. Not just the kind where it is situational. I'd get it from a turkey sandwich or an apple or nothing. Pretty much, it's due to over production of acid.

The day that I filled my last prescription I bought Prilosec OTC. It works great and I finally have NO heartburn/pain. "Coincidentally?????" I started to have bad side effects this week from my Adderall! Nervous, anxious, increased BP, anxiety and a couple panic attacks (and maybe a few tics?). I've only been on it for 2 1/2 mths but have not had any of these problems before. I didn't have a problem with anxiety prior to this and I don't have high BP.

Acid intake can affect absorption of Adderall so, could a high level of baseline acid environment have kept me from absorbing as much as I normally would have? Now that I have it under control I am way over my effective dose b/c I'm absorbing more?

Talked to my Dr Friday and have stopped all meds due to concerns about possible tics. By the way, I feel like CRAP with a dizzy head and nausea. I meet with him on Wed to figure this out. I asked him about possibility it was Prilosec. He said he hadn't heard of this but he also couldn't say for sure.

Have any of you had/ heard of something like this?
Old 10-24-04, 09:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, a substantial change in acid contact could definitely effect metabolization of Adderall...in fact I'd even say it was likely. Talk to your doctor about it.
Old 10-24-04, 12:30 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
You were taking Adderall AND Concerta at the same time? At a dose of 50mg Adderall per day and 72mg of Concerta per day - is that right?
If you were taking these simultaniousely, that's a lot of stimulant. Are you a very large person? Some people do need more than others, but I'm guessing that the acid reflux problem may well have affected the absorption of the stimulants so that now you are feeling the full effect of your dose.
If I was in this situation, I would probably want to give just one of the stimulants a try, at a lower starting dose, to see how it worked now that you have the stomach acid issue under control. Did either stimulant seem to work or feel better to you than the other? It's often the case that either amphetamine or methylphenidate will work better than the other depending on a person's brain. Amphetamine is more likely to cause anxiety problems than is methylphenidate because of it's effect on norradrenaline - but I suspect your potential problems with panic or tics was more due to the total dosage you were taking than a natural propensity for panic, given that you've never had a problem before and that you are under a lot of stress from exams, etc. No wonder your stomach is producing extra acid! Do you drink a lot of coffee as well?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-04, 08:53 PM

Yes, I was taking both of them. I started on Adderall XR and titrated up to the 50mg. It worked ok but could have been better. Major problem was it lasted 6-6 1/2 hrs. I'm a med student and it would wear off before I had lunch! We added Concerta and titrated up by 18mg/wk trying to get a better and longer effect.

I have better motivation and more energy on the Adderall XR. Concerta gives me WAY more physical and verbal control as I am pretty hyperactive and really fight my verbal impulsiveness. Concerta doesn't give me ANY motivation. Very disappointing.

Anyways, we talked about trying to restart the Concerta and titrating back up to find a good dose. I think I'll miss the Adderall as it was the first time I didn't feel like a bump on a log.

I'll give you guys the update on Wednesday.
Old 10-24-04, 09:01 PM

Forgot to respond about the size thing. I'm a pretty good sized girl at 5 ft 7 inches and 215lbs. I'd call that pretty overweight but I don't think it's massive.

As for the total dose being too high, I would agree. That was what freaked me out. I had none of those symptoms or tics or anxiety until the day after I started Prilosec. I think my actual absorbed amount sky rocketed after better acid control.
Old 10-31-04, 05:12 AM

Here's an update after my doctor's appt.

We had spoke about trying something other than a stimulant like effexor or wellbutrin. I felt that I had good control of my hyperactivity on the Concerta so I decided to try Concerta again, alone, and taper up from 18mg to 72mg.

I've been on 18mg for the last 3 days. I really didn't have any side effects before when I started it and was already taking the Adderall XR. Now, I feel like I am jittery on just 18mg and my patience is rather short. I'm wondering why this is. Also, I feel a bit anxious and I don't have anxiety problems AT ALL. This is weird. It makes me a little nervous to up the dose soon but I hope these side effects will pass sooner than later.

Any thoughts?