ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 02-18-05, 01:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
Keys to success: sleep and exercise

I made a couple of major changes to my life since last year, and I just wanted to share becuase they've made a HUGE difference in my grades and overall quality of life.

One is sleeping - it sounds so obvious, but if I get to bed at a decent hour (like midnight) then everything just goes tons better for me. I can wake up on time... get to class on time, focus in class, feel motivated....

if, on the other hand, I get thrown off and go to bed really late, then it will snowball and everything just gets about 30 times worse. Last week I stayed up till about 4 in the morning on monday night, (thinking, well, this sucks but tommorrow i will get back on track) But I didn't get back on track, and I missed more classes in one week than I had all semester. I also had a lot harder time with my homework, understood stuff less from class, didn't finish all my assignments... it was like I shot back to where I was a year ago (which was pretty bad) Up to that point, I'd actually been on top of things for like the first time in my whole life... or at least relatively speaking.

As for exercising - I realized it was a major thing missing from my life, so i very deliberately looked for some way to get it back. Just going to the rec building was way to unstructured (which was why i'd never done it) so I was looking for a sport... but they all took too much time... so i signed up for a bunch of classes (i have an hour of *somthing* 4 days a week now - i'm doing kickboxing, yoga, pilates, and an aerobic class....) the people i've told about it think i'm totally crazy with all that but i'm REALLY happy about it and I've only missed ONE class so far. (even though one of them is 7-8 in the morning!!!)

I used to always think I didn't have the time but I've found that if I just STICK it in my schedule and tell myself it's an investment in the rest of my education (which it really IS) then I organize myself around the classes and get a lot better about time management. seriously!!! And then, obviously, it gives me an outlet for hyperactivity, so it helps me focus in everything else I do. Plus it's a needed break which keeps me sane.

PLUS, it helps with SLEEPING, since I'm actually PHYSICALLY tired at night, and not just mentally!

I've heard over and over that exercise is great therapy for ADD, and most of the people I know who are "potential" and "borderline" ADDers keep it under control with a sport or exercise of some kind.