ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-24-13, 04:26 AM

korokoro is on a distinguished road
Exclamation They are trying to get me fired or to quit!

So after hearing a rumour from a friendly colleague, 1 of 2 draughters at my company will be made redundant.

The senior draughter and engineering manager are quite chummy. Dare I say, inseparable. Over the last 6 months or so, they have both been bullies, with cheap criticism of my work, impossible demands and deadlines and constantly changing my work priority.

I am now positive that they have been collaborating together, to put pressure on me, so that I either blow up to give them a reason to fire me or so I leave on my own accord.

In terms of work completed, it seems like the senior draughter hasn't been pulling his weight and his document control is sloppy at best, so much so that other workers have complimented my performance and shined light on the senior draughters slack efforts.

So from the sounds of it, it sounds good. However, since him and the engineering manager are pals, I suspect that he will try to pollute my reputation in this big meeting with management on Tuesday, and maybe hold his position to ransom - i.e. He will threaten to leave if the senior draughter is made redundant instead of me. That would pretty much be 'game over' for me, as he is a backbone staff, where as my position is seen as 'expendable'.

If I do get the sack, I will have no sympathy for them as I know there is no way they could cope with the draughting workload. They will fall back onto a contractor to pick up the slack (I know who they will try to get back), but in general, the general skills of these contractors are so poor that it will cause massive problems for them in the future. (This has happened many times at this company all ready). So I don't think they are learning...

So in summation; I am wondering what my options are from here on. I don't exactly feel like going to work tomorrow, but I'm not sure of what my legal rights are when it comes to sick leave and bullying at work. If I wasn't to go tomorrow, they would be in deep trouble as the senior draughter doesn't have the ability to complete my work which was due yesterday.

With past bullying history from these two, I am considering bringing it up with either 2 or 3 CEOs who I am sure would listen and take it seriously, though I am worried this would have a knee jerk reaction with management, followed by "backlash" disciplinary action from the two trouble makers.

So...

What would you do?
Old 10-24-13, 09:16 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,993 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: They are trying to get me fired or to quit!

Seeds are sewn. This is one crop i'd call it a day on. All you can really do is highlight your strengths and point to your output. Anything more than that at this stage would be fairly futile.

On your way out the door ( after you've got a lovely reference ) if there is a manager higher than them... You "might" grab them and subtly explain the subversive and domineering behavior of these people. It is important that this comes across as observation, not complaint.

I guess if that person is good at what they do ( the person above them ), you could initiate a preemptive strike and have a brief chat outlining how you see the business not being efficient and a "soft" recommendation as to the solutions.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
korokoro (10-24-13)
Old 10-24-13, 09:29 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,969 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

When a bully out-ranks you, he wins. It doesn't matter what any workplace law says. Unless the bullying reaches physical-assault proportions, in reality your options are none.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (10-29-13), korokoro (10-24-13), MX2012 (10-27-13), Sandy4957 (10-24-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-13, 09:29 AM

I think tomorrow, I am not going to fold to their pressure and burn my self out in 8 hours flat... for not even a thanks.
When I walk out the door, I will be sure not to keep it a secret to management. But I guess the company is doomed anyway... so maybe it will fall on deaf ears - who knows.
I'm just going to play it day by day and explicitly show that childish bullying is below me and that I'd be glad to leave such a toxic environment. I'm sure that will insult to injury to them. Serves them right, really.
Now I just need to find out how to not lose the 3 weeks of annual leave I have saved up :/
Old 10-24-13, 10:15 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,969 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for "explicitly show"; remember that someone who is above childish bullying will normally have no reaction at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
PastelDreams (10-25-13), Sandy4957 (10-24-13)
Old 10-24-13, 10:46 AM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

In the U.S., I'd say they were trying to get you to quit in order to avoid paying unemployment benefits, which can often be obtained anyway for a "constructive firing" which means effectively they forced you to quit. No idea how it works in Oz, but hopefully that gives you some ideas.

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (10-24-13)
Old 10-24-13, 04:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Hang tight. I agree that when the bully is more powerful, it is extremely hard to beat him or her. It happens, but not often enough.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
korokoro (10-24-13)
Old 10-25-13, 02:42 AM

Well, I survived the gauntlet today.
Though something very unusual happened today. Just so happens that the CEO called an office wide meeting this morning and gave us all a pep talk on bullying. I hadn't made a peep prior to this, so I guess it was obvious to every one else. Luckily, I was left alone all day to work on my drawings, which I am glad I was able to get them done without cutting corners. Only problem was that I left my headphones at home today, so I was without my sphongle stimuli which made my day feel a little longer as I cant help but get distracted by peoples conversations. But I'm glad I made it through without any of the drama.

I made sure before I left to download the companys full proceedure for reporting bullies. So I plan to go through this and prepare a draft so I have something to use when it occours again.

ofcourse I will give updates so that maybe it might help someone who happens to find it through google.
amberwillow (10-25-13), purpleToes (10-25-13), stef (10-25-13)
Old 10-26-13, 05:55 AM

Dodger is on a distinguished road

I cannot speak for Australia but if it were the USA, I would start looking for another job as a draftsman (that's what we call it). I also would tough-it-out to get unemployment. It's difficult to fire someone for cause -- it usually requires something like theft, absenteeism, threats/violence or insubordination.

At will termination is another story. Most workers are considered at-will employees and can be terminated at any time for any reason including no reason. Lack of work or even gross incompetence is not cause and would be considered at-will termination with the employee eligable for unemployment.

A company can have all sorts of anti-bullying programs in place, but in the end, it comes down to who makes the firing decision and rarely will upper management contravene unless they intend to make the firing manager redundant.
Old 10-27-13, 05:39 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by korokoro View Post
I think tomorrow, I am not going to fold to their pressure and burn my self out in 8 hours flat... for not even a thanks.
When I walk out the door, I will be sure not to keep it a secret to management. But I guess the company is doomed anyway... so maybe it will fall on deaf ears - who knows.
I'm just going to play it day by day and explicitly show that childish bullying is below me and that I'd be glad to leave such a toxic environment. I'm sure that will insult to injury to them. Serves them right, really.
Now I just need to find out how to not lose the 3 weeks of annual leave I have saved up :/
I am always amazed how "cliches" never see the damage they do. Most people seem to lack introspection, it's always someone else's fault.

I would strike up friendships with as many fellow co-workers as I can, plus those in positions of authority, so they see you for themselves and not through the eyes of others. It may slow the process.
Old 10-29-13, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,609 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I see it as a good thing that the CEO gave an anti-bullying pep talk. However, most bullies don't see themselves as bullies and I believe that unless the other draughter was spoken to privately in a way that he/she can comprehend and execute, then it won't do much good. You've gotten good advice here from people who very possibly have been in that situation. I would work on my resume, get a glowing recommendation and get ready to look for a new job. Not because you will get fired/laid off but because the bully and the engineer will continue to make your life difficult and it's not worth it.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.