ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-05-13, 03:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,806 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD = asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
Or you could always use his real method...
Bella, blood doping was a media diversion. Don't let them fool you.. they were helping him protect his true secret!!

I actually have some pretty strong opinions there, but that's way off topic here.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 03:26 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
LOL - look at Lance Armstrong! I wouldn't even attempt the Tour de France without at least a little salivary gland neoplasm. No shot otherwise.
Technically, Mr. Armstrong always got a shot, salivarily glandularly neoplastic or not. Often, he got several shots in a row, in fact.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 03:39 AM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't win without it - no one EVER HAS!

there was that one guy who was never accused if memory serves... Googled couldn't find his name,.. But I'm pretty sure all but one were accused at some point.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-13, 03:40 AM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiii assets, how's everyone's night going? <3 Raise your hand if you can't sleep..... meee
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 03:45 AM

Thanked 27,509 Times in 13,317 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
Bella, blood doping was a media diversion. Don't let them fool you.. they were helping him protect his true secret!!

I actually have some pretty strong opinions there, but that's way off topic here.
like thats ever stopped any of us! what opinions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (10-06-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 04:50 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
Most of those don't really seem adhd related negatives. If the reason for not being a good leader is due to confidence, you can work on that. But what does that have to do with ADHD hindering you? Likewise for the anxiety issues, surely those are issues all people with anxiety would have?

The whole point of the article is to express positives of ADHD. Not to show how debilitating it is, or give a balanced argument.

Whenever there's an article on the negatives and strong impact of ADHD, you never hear such an uproar about such an unbiased portrayal, that 'no positives of adhd are shown'. Are we wanting every single positive adhd article to make sure they express all the negatives too but not the vice versa?

Why do I never hear people with Aspergers complaining about positive articles written about their condition?

How so?

Also, i'd just like to add I have no opinion whatsoever of this article, am neither for or against.
My point wasn't to express why ADHD is hindering me, but to show that, unfortunately, all of the positives listed in this article aren't true at all for me. I do have other qualities though, some of them very important, things that aren't all related to ADHD, just not the ones mentioned in that story. I dislike the article because it tries to change a disorder into a positive stereotype, kind of like saying all Aspergers are geniuses with great memories, when the fact is, most of them aren't.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
AshT (10-06-13), namazu (10-09-13), peripatetic (10-05-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-05-13, 05:45 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with an article such as this one is that it helps provoke questions like "why can't you?" and that would make the already considerable pressure even higher.

There may be a number of jobs and positions that are eminently suited to ADDers and where we might shine. Maybe the article is about one of those.
But the number of ADDers outnumbers the number of ADD suitable careers likely a hundred to one, so 99% of us are not in that happy place.
AshT (10-06-13), BellaVita (10-05-13), Corina86 (10-05-13), Fuzzy12 (10-05-13), Lunacie (10-05-13), silivrentoliel (10-05-13), stef (10-06-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-05-13, 06:08 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,761 Times in 8,904 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Horrid.

Gifter.

Article.

Horrid.

Gifter.

Thread.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13), Corina86 (10-05-13), Lunacie (10-05-13), sarek (10-05-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13), Tony72 (10-05-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-05-13, 06:12 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Horrid.

Gifter.

Article.

Horrid.

Gifter.

Thread.
Abi, you are priceless!
Abi (10-05-13), BellaVita (10-05-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13), Tony72 (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
like thats ever stopped any of us! what opinions?
I can't find the citation, bit I'm pretty sure there was only one single Tour de France winner not accused of doping and many of them have been convicted (I'm not sure if its most). I'm not a huge Tour de France fan; I love cycling, but my interest in this is in the principal.

Lets say he's the biggest and the best and requires a higher standard. Ok, but what have you achieved?!! So now from 1999 through 2005 there was no winner!! You take a cherished icon of human competitiveness and deprive it of it's essence - that there is a winner.

I want to say we've bitten our nose to spite our face but that doesn't cover it. I forget where I read an article that made a perfect comparison - I wish I had the citation but at least ill be clear this isn't mine:
It's like a surgeon who intends to remove a tumor to save a patients life, but leaves the operating room holding his heart.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
stef (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 07:11 PM

Thanked 27,509 Times in 13,317 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm...
well then why arent we all ceos...?
i work in an office and i have some i guess "add strengths" but this little paragraph neglects to mention that these add problems are a nightmare:

But first let’s start with the bad things. There’s the difficulty in following directions, remembering information, organizing tasks or completing work within time limits. But don’t forget the fact that an adult with ADD can commonly arrive late, they’re impulsive yet easily bored and they don’t organize well. Well sure, when you put it that way, the use of the word disorder makes a little sense.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (10-09-13), namazu (10-09-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-05-13, 07:25 PM

Good point stef. I think a 'touch' of ADD can maybe give you an advantage f you're generally otherwise above average.

Otherwise it's a liability, plain and simple. For those who can't understand that - I'm happy for them!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13), stef (10-06-13), Tony72 (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 08:50 PM
Contributor

Tony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
hmmm...
well then why arent we all ceos...?
i work in an office and i have some i guess "add strengths" but this little paragraph neglects to mention that these add problems are a nightmare:

But first let’s start with the bad things. There’s the difficulty in following directions, remembering information, organizing tasks or completing work within time limits. But don’t forget the fact that an adult with ADD can commonly arrive late, they’re impulsive yet easily bored and they don’t organize well. Well sure, when you put it that way, the use of the word disorder makes a little sense.
I feel like that paragraph is written in such a way and picks certain symptoms for it to sound like the bad things all have to do with self-discipline and character flaws. Maybe I'm being sensitive about it, but I still feel like most doubters could stop reading the article at that point and feel validated in their beliefs.

And Daydreaming, if you find that article inspiring then awesome. Take it where you can get it. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I just wanted to make sure that was thrown out cuz I could imagine you feeling a little wth? right now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony72 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13), stef (10-06-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-05-13, 10:34 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree in this case about "different strokes for different folks". Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but when an opinion comes from false and misleading information, and you find out (as Daydreaming has found out) that you've been fooled by someone else's lies - well, there's no shame in having been fooled, but... knowing you'd been fed a bunch of lies and still not changing your mind about that opinion would be pretty silly.
Old 10-05-13, 10:50 PM

Wait a second wait a second wait a second.... Guys, I think we've gone too far, and I think there are nuggets of truth to be found in this article.

I think Daydreamin's point is that we should appreciate the good and the bad of our disabilities. The better we understand it as a whole picture, the better chance that we'll have of not only coping with the challenges, but leveraging our strengths.

I think to say the perspective of the article strictly false and to be completely rejected is unnecessarily pessimistic. The articles perspective is incomplete; probably unfair; maybe even hurtful to some. But NOT just plain wrong. We can appreciate articles like these for what they are. We don't gain anything by denying the sum total of of our strengths and weaknesses.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13), namazu (10-09-13), stef (10-06-13), Tony72 (10-06-13)