ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-09-13, 10:29 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD = asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
So that's settled then. No need to thank me. Happy to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (10-09-13)
Old 10-09-13, 10:37 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
(didn't want to break the chain)
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (10-09-13)
Old 10-09-13, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,806 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you do for yourself. However, I do care about the influence of ideas on others. When an idea props up that can hurt people, I cannot turn the other way and let that idea run unchallenged.
So as I wrote in my last post, THIS is not the hurtful idea. I suggested that what we're reacting to another idea that we view as related, ie. ADHD is not disability.

I have the same reaction when people say ADHD=Asset. my first reaction is a negative one. But factually speaking I know they're not related, and I can hate the idea that ADHD is not a disability, while still appreciating that it may be the source of some skills.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (10-17-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-13, 10:53 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Speculating about Stevuke79's question (not sure if I've got a good analogy, and if it is good then I'm not certain why):

If my finances are audited by the tax authorities, and some of my major debts are counted as assets, should I be pleased about that?
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (10-09-13)
Old 10-09-13, 10:56 PM
Mr. BllVt

I picked up one of the reasons why my tax-audit analogy may have a little bit of merit to it: I feel (and maybe a lot of us feel) that every day we are on trial for the crime of having the symptoms of ADHD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-09-13), Fuzzy12 (10-10-13), namazu (10-09-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:00 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I picked up one of the reasons why my tax-audit analogy may have a little bit of merit to it: I feel (and maybe a lot of us feel) that every day we are on trial for the crime of having the symptoms of ADHD.
Yes. This.
Old 10-09-13, 11:03 PM

Thanked 26,980 Times in 12,585 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So as I wrote in my last post, THIS is not the hurtful idea. I suggested that what we're reacting to another idea that we view as related, ie. ADHD is not disability.

I have the same reaction when people say ADHD=Asset. my first reaction is a negative one. But factually speaking I know they're not related, and I can hate the idea that ADHD is not a disability, while still appreciating that it may be the source of some skills.
I don't agree. Any skills I have are not related to my having ADHD. I would
have them even if I didn't have this disorder. If ever I see some evidence
that shows skills or talents or "gifts" are somehow tied to having a mental
health disorder, I'll reconsider.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-09-13), LittleFrog (10-09-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:07 PM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that ADHD symptoms are very often considered character flaws. And in that sense we feel on trial or audited. So your saying, if you believe it's a disability,.. Don't look more deeply for the good and the bad because some jeerk will use that to prove its not a disability.

my feeling is: that jerk isn't my concern.

Do blind people take offense when people consider whether they might have super-sharp hearing? Would they care if some fool turned around and said, "Ah ha! Told you it's not a disability! He's just too self centered to look where he's going!!!"

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:12 PM

I consider the fact that neurologists are unsure about this one. Whether ADHD is related to improved senses, creativity, or out of the box thinking, .. the prevailing theory is it looks like there are connections but there is nothing conclusive. And keep in mind, these scientists who say "there may be a connection", these are the same people who say unequivocally ADHD IS A BONAFIDE DISABILITY. So these folks aren't our enemies.

So I don't feel I can be sure myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I don't agree. Any skills I have are not related to my having ADHD. I would
have them even if I didn't have this disorder. If ever I see some evidence
that shows skills or talents or "gifts" are somehow tied to having a mental
health disorder, I'll reconsider.

Old 10-09-13, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Speculating about Stevuke79's question (not sure if I've got a good analogy, and if it is good then I'm not certain why):

If my finances are audited by the tax authorities, and some of my major debts are counted as assets, should I be pleased about that?
What if the audit concludes that you have both debts and assets?

namazu (10-09-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:18 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
I consider the fact that neurologists are unsure about this one. Whether ADHD is related to improved senses, creativity, or out of the box thinking, .. the prevailing theory is it looks like there are connections but there is nothing conclusive. And keep in mind, these scientists who say "there may be a connection", these are the same people who say unequivocally ADHD IS A BONAFIDE DISABILITY. So these folks aren't our enemies.

So I don't feel I can be sure myself.
Well *I* know for sure that my ADHD hasn't given me anything positive.

I think this is going to vary with each individual. And it isn't because some are simply not looking hard enough for the positives, there just *aren't* any positives for some....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (10-10-13), Stevuke79 (10-09-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:22 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
I think that ADHD symptoms are very often considered character flaws. And in that sense we feel on trial or audited. So your saying, if you believe it's a disability,.. Don't look more deeply for the good and the bad because some jeerk will use that to prove its not a disability.

my feeling is: that jerk isn't my concern.

Do blind people take offense when people consider whether they might have super-sharp hearing? Would they care if some fool turned around and said, "Ah ha! Told you it's not a disability! He's just too self centered to look where he's going!!!"
No, for a very good reason that isn't involved in our situation: a blind person's lack of sight is easy for anyone to understand. (Not that his life is easy to understand - but the simple fact "He can't see" is not something that will ever be commonly misunderstood.) Because I have a widely-misunderstood and widely-denied condition, I'm touchy about hearing false news about it being spread. If rumours are spread about the blind man being too self-centred to look where he's going, his response is a simple, swift, and fully-understood-by-everyone "I'm blind; I can't see."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-09-13), LittleFrog (10-10-13), Lunacie (10-10-13), namazu (10-09-13), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:25 PM

I'm actually not debating whether its an asset or not. I certainly don't honk it's an asset for everyone bc other things have to also fall in line for that to be.

What interests me, is that it's a valid scientifically founded suggestion that relates to what some people experience... And while we disagree on many issues around here, rarely do we attack.

(I don't feel attacked, .. That's not what sparked me.. And when I am attacked I can take it... That's not my point.. I'm not bemoaning an attack... I'm pointing out that we really react to this idea... And it seems to me like what we're actually reacting to is something else.)

This thread is a little like a zombie.,. It just wont die. It doesn't even seem to be tiring... Maybe I should be taking t-virus instead of adderall.

Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-09-13, 11:27 PM

Quote:
No, for a very good reason that isn't involved in our situation: a blind person's lack of sight is easy for anyone to understand. (Not that his life is easy to understand - but the simple fact "He can't see" is not something that will ever be commonly misunderstood.) Because I have a widely-misunderstood and widely-denied condition, I'm touchy about hearing false news about it being spread. If rumours are spread about the blind man being too self-centred to look where he's going, his response is a simple, swift, and fully-understood-by-everyone "I'm blind; I can't see."
So it sounds like your bothered that someone will not understand ADHD is a disability.

your not actually fundamentally bothered that it might have benefits.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13), Tulip7171 (10-17-13)
Old 10-10-13, 12:29 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
So it sounds like your bothered that someone will not understand ADHD is a disability.

your not actually fundamentally bothered that it might have benefits.
In a way, it's both.

I am bothered that someone will acquire a positive belief that ADHD is mainly good (as opposed to a negative lack of understanding of ADHD).

I am also bothered that there are benefits claimed for ADHD that are not true. (for example ADHDers are intelligent or we're creative or we're this or we're that.)

OK - I've got it - what bothers me is the purposeful teaching of false "facts", (perhaps unwittingly) spreading misunderstanding and disrespect.

Perhaps the fact that I only recently found out I'm not lazy or stupid has something to do with my touchiness.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-10-13), LittleFrog (10-10-13), Lunacie (10-10-13), namazu (10-10-13), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)