ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-10-13, 12:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD = asset

Just saw there are 89 posts. Really sorry if it's been a source of major aggravation. Was never my intention to be controversial or stir things up for everyone. I read Forbes everyday and thought I'd share what I found encouraging bc we people with adhd have to stand together.

I think it's safe to say my title misrepresented the article and is causing some turmoil.

Maaaan, I really just liked the article. I wish I knew what my problem is. I am always doing disagreeable things these days. Humph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 10-10-13, 01:01 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it Daydreamin. We're just having some fun.

You didn't cause an upset. Just a great discussion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (10-10-13), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 10-10-13, 01:04 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamin22 View Post
Just saw there are 89 posts. Really sorry if it's been a source of major aggravation. Was never my intention to be controversial or stir things up for everyone. I read Forbes everyday and thought I'd share what I found encouraging bc we people with adhd have to stand together.

I think it's safe to say my title misrepresented the article and is causing some turmoil.

Maaaan, I really just liked the article. I wish I knew what my problem is. I am always doing disagreeable things these days.
It's a hll of a lot better than doing nothing, which is what most people end up doing - myself included. I don't blame you for wanting us all to stand together - that's very important; I just want us to gather ourselves around the truth, as nearly as we can figure it, instead of gathering around feel-good falsehoods that mis-educate "regular folks" into believing stuff about us that isn't true.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (10-10-13), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 01:04 AM

Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
Don't worry about it Daydreamin. We're just having some fun.

You didn't cause an upset. Just a great discussion.
Ok, good!!
BellaVita (10-10-13)
Old 10-10-13, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
It's a hll of a lot better than doing nothing, which is what most people end up doing - myself included. I don't blame you for wanting us all to stand together - that's very important; I just want us to gather ourselves around the truth, as nearly as we can figure it, instead of gathering around feel-good falsehoods that mis-educate "regular folks" into believing stuff about us that isn't true.
I hear ya. There are tons of effects/beliefs that article could potentially produce. Good and bad, no doubt. The truth is the best. It's be nice if people could learn to see that we just do things differently instead of seeing a disorder that makes us unable to function. I think if two people, one adhd and one non adhd were given the same goal and 5 mos to complete it, saying the end results were both judged well and awarded, and no one knew how either player worked to reach the goal, both would be fairly recognized and inwardly rewarded. The prob is, everyone would have seen how we were doing it, and we wouldn't get the respect we'd deserve for having reached the goal. As always, this is not to say that'd always how it be or how it works. Geeze, hope I'm making sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
dvdnvwls (10-10-13), stef (10-10-13), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 10-10-13, 09:03 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,806 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Daydreamin - Forgive me if I dragged your thread into a war that you didn't intend.. that's the price of starting a great discussion. Your best threads will belong to the world.

Please forgive me if this got a bit too heated. I am now putting myself in a 34 minute timeout until I can learn to behave myself.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-10-13), Daydreamin22 (10-13-13), Fuzzy12 (10-10-13)
Old 10-10-13, 10:10 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
Daydreamin - Forgive me if I dragged your thread into a war that you didn't intend.. that's the price of starting a great discussion. Your best threads will belong to the world.

Please forgive me if this got a bit too heated. I am now putting myself in a 34 minute timeout until I can learn to behave myself.
34?? Why not a nice number like 30??

This is going to bother me. Thanks for stirring me up Stevuke79.

[JK...mostly ]
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-10-13, 10:12 AM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
34?? Why not a nice number like 30??

This is going to bother me. Thanks for stirring me up Stevuke79.

[JK...mostly ]
Uh oh, please don't be bothered. They say when I child needs a time out to calm down, it should be 1 minute per year of age. For instance my daughter is 5, .. and she gets a 5 minute time out to cool off if she needs. I'm 34, so,...

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-10-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-10-13, 11:10 AM

Thanked 6,507 Times in 4,751 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Whether it's good or bad can be solved if we'd reach a consensus on what it is ... ...
Old 10-13-13, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post

No worries! I'm glad people are talking about it.

All these posts are great. I'm just realizing it seems like the title sparked some debate.

Last edited by Daydreamin22; 10-13-13 at 10:07 PM..
Stevuke79 (10-13-13)
Old 10-17-13, 10:54 AM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
In my experience with my grandchildren, schools do not have training in
dealing with mental health issues. Maybe that's because educators in
general have bought into this idea that ADHD is not really a disability.
That you can make it be positive just by trying harder.

I didn't say that you see ADHD as "purely positive." But you sure seem to
be on the bandwagon to look at it through positive lens. That's what I took
from your posts on this thread, sorry if I misinterpreted what you wrote.

How can it be neither? Doesn't it have to be something?

This isn't about what I'm "willing" myself to consider. I've considered the
whole picture, any possible positives as well as the known negatives. I've
come to a "considered" opinion based on copious amounts of reading and
personal experience.

That doesn't mean we are broken people, or worthless, or that there isn't
anything positive about us. It simply means that the positive things are
not related to having ADHD.
Hi Lunacie, thankyou for your response there. I was worried I'd come across a bit too rude in my previous post.

Quote:
In my experience with my grandchildren, schools do not have training in
dealing with mental health issues. Maybe that's because educators in
general have bought into this idea that ADHD is not really a disability.
That you can make it be positive just by trying harder.
Isn't that a failure of the school rather than ADHDers attitudes to their own condition? That their failure in understanding prohibits them from seeing there are disadvantages of adhd that require help and support.

I think this applies to ALL children(AS, Dyslexic, Neurotypicals) and the main problem is an inflexible education system that wants to create students that come off a conveyor belt.

Each child has strengths and weaknesses that need help - just become someone with Aspergers gets amazing grades at school, doesn't mean they don't need help with social skills.

Quote:
How can it be neither? Doesn't it have to be something?
Why? Are there only two options in life? When are things really that black and white?

If a child met several dogs, all whom bit, a person is likely to draw a conclusion that 'dogs bite'.
If a person has never been bitten by a dog and met many, a they are likely to draw a conclusion that dogs do not bite.

Who is right? Well, both are right in drawing the conclusions from their experiences. Both could justify their conclusions from their own experiences and why they are right. But actually, us being able to look upon it with an objective, outside view, both are right, but neither are right at the same time.

I've heard ADHD referred to as a 'catalyst' quite often and I quite like that definition. It makes our emotions greater, it makes our personality traits stronger, it makes things much more intense.

So, let's say someone with ADHD is naturally creative and curious. Wouldn't ADHD enhance that creativity and curiousity? ADHDers are often thought of as 'Divergent' thinkers and such cognitive paradigm would surely enhance that creativity. Then, couple that with hyperfocus. The ADHDers would be likely to hyperfocus on creating, or trying to find answers to questions, building, programming(which is a natural arena for hyperfocus, even for neurotypicals), research. Activities that don't require the ADHDer to focus on one thing at a time, allowing them to draw multiple concepts together.

And i've just thought - perhaps this is why a few people with ADHD feel that their medication hinders their creativity. Perhaps, they are naturally creative and by removing the ADHD catalyst it puts their creativity to normal.

But likewise, there are a plethora of examples and situations in which ADHD would be a negative and I don't dismiss those.

Quote:
This isn't about what I'm "willing" myself to consider. I've considered the
whole picture, any possible positives as well as the known negatives. I've
come to a "considered" opinion based on copious amounts of reading and
personal experience.
OK . Thankyou for elaborating.

Owing that all these opinions stem from your personal experiences(which come from one part of the world, one culture created by that part of the world, etc etc), and you can't of experienced all experiences from all perspectives, doesn't that mean there are still alternative possibilities from conclusions you've drawn?

I've only really met people with ADHD in the UK and USA. A few from other countries but I don't know what it's like to have ADHD in those countries because i've mostly been born and brought up in the UK - which as a very non-ADHD friendly system. I've never grown up in a ADHD-pro system. I've not had that experience.

This is why I personally don't have a opinion and conclusion yet on this - because there are still so many more ADHDers for me to meet, so many more stories to hear and experiences to be had.
Old 10-17-13, 11:34 AM

Thanked 27,027 Times in 12,614 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
Hi Lunacie, thankyou for your response there. I was worried I'd come across a bit too rude in my previous post.
I think this is a topic that provokes strong responses. If I'd found your post
rude, I have PM'd you or reported the post to the mods.

Quote:
Isn't that a failure of the school rather than ADHDers attitudes to their own condition? That their failure in understanding prohibits them from seeing there are disadvantages of adhd that require help and support.

I think this applies to ALL children(AS, Dyslexic, Neurotypicals) and the main problem is an inflexible education system that wants to create students that come off a conveyor belt.

Each child has strengths and weaknesses that need help - just become someone with Aspergers gets amazing grades at school, doesn't mean they don't need help with social skills.
It's true that the education system is set up like a machine and every
student is supposed to be the same in order to fit into the system, and
that's a shame. But I was taking it a notch beyond that, to individual
teachers and counselors and principals and their personal opinions.

If they believe ADHD is something positive and creative and not a real
disorder, something that is used for an excuse to be lazy, they won't be
willing to accomodate and work with a kid that doesn't fit so well. ADHD
has long been seen as moral failing, and that's an even bigger shame. So
yeah, I have a strong response to media making it seem like ADHD is no
biggie and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Quote:
Why? Are there only two options in life? When are things really that black and white?

If a child met several dogs, all whom bit, a person is likely to draw a conclusion that 'dogs bite'.
If a person has never been bitten by a dog and met many, a they are likely to draw a conclusion that dogs do not bite.

Who is right? Well, both are right in drawing the conclusions from their experiences. Both could justify their conclusions from their own experiences and why they are right. But actually, us being able to look upon it with an objective, outside view, both are right, but neither are right at the same time.
I think people can take an illness such a cancer and use it to make
themselves and even the world a better place. But that doesn't change the
fact that cancer is not a positive thing. Being realistic about an illness like
cancer or ADHD doesn't mean we can't become a better person in spite of
having that problem, but the cancer or the ADHD isn't actually positive in
and of itself.

Quote:
I've heard ADHD referred to as a 'catalyst' quite often and I quite like that definition. It makes our emotions greater, it makes our personality traits stronger, it makes things much more intense.

So, let's say someone with ADHD is naturally creative and curious. Wouldn't ADHD enhance that creativity and curiousity? ADHDers are often thought of as 'Divergent' thinkers and such cognitive paradigm would surely enhance that creativity. Then, couple that with hyperfocus. The ADHDers would be likely to hyperfocus on creating, or trying to find answers to questions, building, programming(which is a natural arena for hyperfocus, even for neurotypicals), research. Activities that don't require the ADHDer to focus on one thing at a time, allowing them to draw multiple concepts together.

And i've just thought - perhaps this is why a few people with ADHD feel that their medication hinders their creativity. Perhaps, they are naturally creative and by removing the ADHD catalyst it puts their creativity to normal.
See, that's pretty much what I was saying just above. The trouble with
your example is that not everyone with ADHD is so creative, or has the
ability to combine creativity with hyperfocus to be productive. Many of us
report that we start one thing, become distracted or give up for some
reason, and then a week later have to throw that idea in a drawer to make
room for the new idea we just had - and none of these ideas ever turns into
anything much.

Yes, it can happen, but those media articles tend to make it seem like a
moral failure (again) when we can't do something with those creative
tendencies (if we have them), both in our personal thinking and in what
others think of and expect from us.

Quote:
But likewise, there are a plethora of examples and situations in which ADHD would be a negative and I don't dismiss those.

OK . Thankyou for elaborating.

Owing that all these opinions stem from your personal experiences(which come from one part of the world, one culture created by that part of the world, etc etc), and you can't of experienced all experiences from all perspectives, doesn't that mean there are still alternative possibilities from conclusions you've drawn?

I've only really met people with ADHD in the UK and USA. A few from other countries but I don't know what it's like to have ADHD in those countries because i've mostly been born and brought up in the UK - which as a very non-ADHD friendly system. I've never grown up in a ADHD-pro system. I've not had that experience.

This is why I personally don't have a opinion and conclusion yet on this - because there are still so many more ADHDers for me to meet, so many more stories to hear and experiences to be had.
I'll admit I don't see too many books or media articles about ADHD written
by those living in third world countries, and there have only been a handful
of posters on this forum who aren't from the US, the UK, Canada, France,
Netherlands, etc. So yeah, that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

It's not very likely that anyone in my family is going to move to Mongolia
or Africa or Iraq, or some other country where ADHD isn't recognized as a
very real health concern. Maybe it's not as impairing in those environments.
Maybe those places accept the odd quirks of ADHD as part of human nature.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Flory (10-17-13)
Old 10-17-13, 11:39 AM

Thanked 6,390 Times in 3,052 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

Uh oh.....not one of these threads again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
mirandatoritess (03-24-14), stef (10-17-13)
Old 10-17-13, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flory View Post
Uh oh.....not one of these threads again
Flory, we're all gifted! Good news, right?
Imagine what it's like for poor impaired NT'ers.. constantly burdened with knowledge of where their keys are.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Flory (10-17-13), LittleFrog (10-19-13), Tulip7171 (10-17-13)
Old 10-17-13, 08:40 PM

Thanked 6,390 Times in 3,052 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

Such a bind being able to function as an adult .....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (10-19-13), Stevuke79 (10-17-13)